• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger introduces their take on the FN Five-Seven

What's lame about a flat shooting high velocity round? Five-SeveN is a minimal recoil pistol, fun to shoot and suppresses very well. You have high expectations if thats your definition of lame.

The terminal ballistics of it kind of suck.

That said if you handed me a FiveSeven and 2 boxes of ammo and a .22 LR and a 500 round brick of ammo, I'd much rather shoot the FiveSeven. [rofl]

-Mike

I guessing sarcasm but it’s interesting to note that Target Sports 5.7 x 28 dropped from .44 to .37 per round over the weekend. That $122 will score you somewhere around 330 rounds now.
40 cents for me. Maybe 37 cents if you have a Prime account?

What's lame about a flat shooting high velocity round? Five-SeveN is a minimal recoil pistol, fun to shoot and suppresses very well. You have high expectations if thats your definition of lame.
Nothing says FuN like plinking with $0.40 per round.

The terminal ballistics of it kind of suck.

That said if you handed me a FiveSeven and 2 boxes of ammo and a .22 LR and a 500 round brick of ammo, I'd much rather shoot the FiveSeven. [rofl]

-Mike

I get the ballistics, I don't carry one but I do find it fun to shoot. I host a fair amount of folks on my farm its always a popular request to shoot. I do cringe a bit watching a $20 bill go down range as a buddy does a 50 round mag dump but I get a lot of free beer and dinners out of it lol.

40 cents for me. Maybe 37 cents if you have a Prime account?

Yes, Prime.

Man, I called it. Every shooting forum I'm on has had multiple FNs posted for sale since the announcement. Can probably get one for $800 or less right now if you shop around.

Well, this one virtue signaling, social media SF dude says the 5.7 is the way to stop a mass shooter, so there is that.
Unless the person using it IS the mass shooter (think Ft. Hood).

As for the price difference, I figure most people order with a C/C, and that usually adds 3% to the total; They will also not be nearly as cheap as all of the estimated, real-world street prices that people were throwing around ($500, $600). That's all I meant. And I don't consider $122 a great savings over MSRP. Just sayin'. (and that's if GAG can even keep them in stock).

Unless the person using it IS the mass shooter (think Ft. Hood).

As for the price difference, I figure most people order with a C/C, and that usually adds 3% to the total; They will also not be nearly as cheap as all of the estimated, real-world street prices that people were throwing around ($500, $600). That's all I meant. And I don't consider $122 a great savings over MSRP. Just sayin'. (and that's if GAG can even keep them in stock).

Wow. Lots here. First, most retail online sites (with the exception of Bud's) do not charge a CC fee. Second, speculating on street prices for a gun that hasn't even reached distributor stock yet seems premature, and will be grossly inaccurate, especially after the initial rush dies down; and third, since the $122 was my number, and it included shipping and transfer, the actual discount off MSRP was $153, or just below 20% off MSRP, which ain't bad if you want to be an "early adopter," which always carries a price.

Exactly which local gun store do you work for?

Wow. Lots here. First, most retail online sites (with the exception of Bud's) do not charge a CC fee. Second, speculating on street prices for a gun that hasn't even reached distributor stock yet seems premature, and will be grossly inaccurate, especially after the initial rush dies down; and third, since the $122 was my number, and it included shipping and transfer, the actual discount off MSRP was $153, or just below 20% off MSRP, which ain't bad if you want to be an "early adopter," which always carries a price.

Exactly which local gun store do you work for?
I never "early adopt". I wait for the Beta testers and recalls to give everything a shake out first.

Don't work (or shop) at an LGS. Strictly online when I did purchase firearms. Local never had what I was looking for.

1600+ FPS vs. 1200 FPS? That is pretty far by any standard.

22 WMR is a hell of a lot more than 1200 fps. Typical velocities are 1500+.

Look at the balgel tests, the two are pretty similar. The one notch up for 5.7 is it has better soft armor penetration, but you're not getting through an AR500 plate unless you
get your hands on SS190 unicorn berries. [rofl]

-Mike

Is there anything preventing the 10rd version from making the MA approved list? I feel like Ruger is usually pretty cool about offering versions of their stuff for us behind the iron curtain
Thing looks sexy as hell though and I wouldn't mind getting one if the price point is indeed at around $700

Is there anything preventing the 10rd version from making the MA approved list? I feel like Ruger is usually pretty cool about offering versions of their stuff for us behind the iron curtain
Thing looks sexy as hell though and I wouldn't mind getting one if the price point is indeed at around $700

Their announcement included part numbers for a standard cap version and a neutered version for nanny states.

I never "early adopt". I wait for the Beta testers and recalls to give everything a shake out first.

Don't work (or shop) at an LGS. Strictly online when I did purchase firearms. Local never had what I was looking for.

Me, either. If one wants to, there's all over GunBroker at around $800. Too rich for what it is...

Me, either. If one wants to, there's all over GunBroker at around $800. Too rich for what it is...
Way too rich for what it is. That's what I was getting at about not being thrilled with the price (yeah, I get that it's new). When it reaches "standard Ruger street prices" I might be interested.

Way too rich for what it is. That's what I was getting at about not being thrilled with the price (yeah, I get that it's new). When it reaches "standard Ruger street prices" I might be interested.

It will be a while for that. Newness factor and all. I predict there will be a fair of "like new" ones hitting Armslist after the novelty wears off and the price of "plinking ammo" sets in.

22 WMR is a hell of a lot more than 1200 fps. Typical velocities are 1500+.

Look at the balgel tests, the two are pretty similar. The one notch up for 5.7 is it has better soft armor penetration, but you're not getting through an AR500 plate unless you
get your hands on SS190 unicorn berries. [rofl]

-Mike

Out of a 4 inch barrel there are only a few 22WMR rounds that are getting close to 1500fps. Maybe the CCI Maxi Mag bit they are almost as unicorn as the SS190.

1600+ FPS vs. 1200 FPS? That is pretty far by any standard.

22 WMR is a hell of a lot more than 1200 fps. Typical velocities are 1500+. Look at the balgel tests, the two are pretty similar. ...

"22 WMR is now loaded with bullet weights ranging from 50 grains (3.2 g) at 1,530 feet per second (470 m/s) to 30 grains (1.9 g) at 2,200 feet per second"

2250 FPS!
Winchester Varmint High Velocity Ammunition 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR)

"22 WMR is now loaded with bullet weights ranging from 50 grains (3.2 g) at 1,530 feet per second (470 m/s) to 30 grains (1.9 g) at 2,200 feet per second"

2250 FPS!
Winchester Varmint High Velocity Ammunition 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR)

The barrel length Wikipedia lists is 24". Obviously a 24" barrel is going to get maximum velocity. A 4" barrel cannot get the same velocity as a 24" barrel.

The MV printed on a box of ammo is the velocity out of a test barrel, not your gun's barrel. You'd have to use a chronograph to see what velocity you actually get.

2250 FPS to the claimed 1200 FPS is a 1050 FPS difference. I don't think barrel length is going to account for that much difference.

It's a barrel difference of TWENTY INCHES. That's literally a whole rifle barrel in difference between the test barrel and a pistol barrel.

Don't believe us? Buy a .22MAG pistol and a chronograph and test it out.

In a 20 inch change in barrel length the drop will be right around 1000 to 1200fps depending on ammo.

Back
Top Bottom