• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger introduces their take on the FN Five-Seven

My main interest is how this round might be usable for predator hunting. Something bigger than a .22, but smaller than a .223.

Chew on this:

Then there is:

p196ksni2p6v21hu61ifdo72133a6.jpg

"We test the hot 22 bottlenecks, the Rock Island 22 TCM and the FNH FiveseveN 5.7x28mm. However, only one has a combination of features suitable all-round use, including personal defense"

Wondering how this fits in for hunting, alongside the 17HMR and 5mm
260px-5mm_Remington_Rimfire_Magnum.jpg

Something else:

and:

Last edited:
It had to be said,

MAIN POINT OF SELLING BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS EXTREME PRICE OF WEAPON AND CARTRIDGE.

BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON OF MAN WHO WEARS EXPENSIVE ITALIAN FASCIST SUIT OF HAND SEWING, DRIVE HUGE NAZI MERCEDES OF A.M.G. SHOP, SAIL ON MASSIVE YACHT TO GREEK ISLANDS. I THINK YOU GET PICTURE. BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON THAT SAYS IS NO SUCH THING AS CONCERN OF MONEY.

FOR MAN WITHOUT EXPENSIVE SUIT, BIG BLACK MERCEDES, AND MASSIVE YACHT, BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS FOR PRETENDING TO BE RICH LIKE BLACK GANGSTER OF AMERICAN CITY WITH GOLD CHAINS OF LOW QUALITY AND JEWLS OF COLORED GLASS. WHEN YOU EXPLAIN USE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS ONLY FOR SHOOT MAN WITH BULLET VEST WITH CARTRIDGE ILLEGAL TO CIVILIAN. THIS MAN HAS NUCLEAR RAGE WHOS IDENTITY OF THIS MAN IS SPENT IN PRETEND PSTOL SHOWS HE IS RICH. IS VERY AMUSE.

FOR REST OF WORLD THERE IS 9 MILIMETERS OF LUGER WHICH IS SAME WOUND FOR LESS COST.

So for someone who wears expensive suits, and has multiple German sleds, but no yacht, what would be the ideal gun for the stereotype you’re creating. Also multiple Swiss watches. Asking for a friend.

So for someone who wears expensive suits, and has multiple German sleds, but no yacht, what would be the ideal gun for the stereotype you’re creating. Also multiple Swiss watches. Asking for a friend.

You're missing the joke. Back in 2010, there was either a real Russian guy or a troll account on 4chan that mocked the American proclivity for bubba'ing SKSs, Mosins, and AKs. One of the troll posts included one on the FN 5.7.

Rifle is Fine! The Firearms Philosophy of Ivan Chesnokov

Smart move, a seriously underserved, if small niche. How many people look at the FN and immediately ask the salesman, "$1350 for this?"

It's also a higher-end competitor for the PMR-30, which is a very cool little pistol but not especially accurate, and also doesn't feel well-made.

I like the Ruger American pistol very much. We have one and I would not object to having another, so if someone really thinks it's a POS, I have a small amount of money available.

I wish the pmr was in this caliber. I loved mine I just couldnt get it to feed more than 10 rounds

my hypothesis on the LCP in 22lr and 57 pistol:

ruger did market research suggesting that recoil is a major determinant in determining sales
they want to sell as many guns as possible to these people who avoid higher chamberings due to recoil....i suspect this demographic is a lot larger than we may appreciate

Ruger stuck to their current production designs that are reliable, which is basically the giant LCP idea a la security-9
it has taken them decades to develop an autoloading pistol design that doesn't totally blow
not elegant but they seem to build internal hammer pistols better than SFA's
it still bothers the shit out of me that the LCP's single action hammer is exposed...this makes no sense it should be covered by the rear of the slide
i'm also somewhat annoyed that it lacks a firing pin
yes it has a quarter cock notch like a series 70 1911 but I'm the type who likes redundancy in safety mechanisms and a firing pin block is well established
in terms of mechanical safety features a beretta 92 shits all over a ruger autoloader - sorry had to insert this

while I agree the ruger 57 is bizarre and I doubt it will be commercially successful, I can guarantee that Ruger isn't randomly producing these micro chambered pistols without some market research prompting these moves

Not even once, that pistol is a joke. It’s horribly ugly and that appealed to me but it’s reliability was atrocious. I heard the newer ones are better but mine sucks.

this has been my experience. my old man's PMR-30 is impressively unreliable. if it weren't a keltec i might be surprised. mags are near impossible to load. i've never gone a mag without an assortment of stoppages. but the primary shortcoming is less the handgun and more the 22 WMR loadings that use slow burning rifle powder...great with a 16+ inch barrel but total waste out of a handgun.

Last edited:
my hypothesis on the LCP in 22lr and 57 pistol:

ruger did market research suggesting that recoil is a major determinant in determining sales
they want to sell as many guns as possible to people who avoid higher chamberings....i suspect this demographic is not small

[deleted]

while I agree the ruger 57 is bizarre and I doubt it will be commercially successful, I can guarantee that Ruger isn't randomly producing these micro chambered pistols without some market research prompting these moves

Here's the thing. I 100% agree that Ruger did a lot of market research before developing this pistol. But the gun buying public has already rejected 5.7 as an option. 7.62x25 was only popular when surplus ammo was cheap. FN still largely controls the ammo market for 5.7x28.

Ruger does do weird shit occasionally, like make the Blackhawk in .30 Carbine and the Ruger No. 1 in .44 Magnum (I bet those two guns are flying off the shelves).

I'm curious - when do the patents expire for the 5.7 pistol and ammo? If FN will lose their dominance of that market, then companies like Ruger will be in a much better position to eat up the market share and grow the market.

But the gun buying public has already rejected 5.7 as an option. 7.62x25 was only popular when surplus ammo was cheap. FN still largely controls the ammo market for 5.7x28.

Ruger does do weird shit occasionally, like make the Blackhawk in .30 Carbine and the Ruger No. 1 in .44 Magnum (I bet those two guns are flying off the shelves).

since 5.7x28 is inextricably linked to the FN five-seven, we cannot really say whether the market rejected the pistol or the cartridge. i would guess more the pistol due to price and weird ergos. Ruger has the following, influence and overall market share to dictate which cartridges get a chance. a good example is their SR1911 in 10mm. while 10mm was already undergoing a rebirth, ruger chambering a 1911 in 10mm pretty much sealed the deal that 10mm would survive for a while.

30 carbine is probably one of the most undervalued and sleeper cartridges around. if i were designing a blowback carbine i would want the option to build in 30 carbine. it is pleasant to shoot and sufficiently powerful to do some work. i would not be surprised if it makes a come-back. the ruger No 1 is an expensive fuddy rifle that will never be popular...it costs ruger nothing to chamber it in whatever cartridge so they keep it alive for their hardcore fudds. in general Ruger enjoys this level of following that i will never understand. there are so many people out their who love their products. most of us gun nerds are not ruger loyalists. it's the people who know just enough about firearms to be annoying....those types worship ruger and will buy any of their shit.

since 5.7x28 is inextricably linked to the FN five-seven, we cannot really say whether the market rejected the pistol or the cartridge. i would guess more the pistol due to price and weird ergos. Ruger has the following, influence and overall market share to dictate which cartridges get a chance. a good example is their SR1911 in 10mm. while 10mm was already undergoing a rebirth, ruger chambering a 1911 in 10mm pretty much sealed the deal that 10mm would survive for a while.

30 carbine is probably one of the most undervalued and sleeper cartridges around. if i were designing a blowback carbine i would want the option to build in 30 carbine. it is pleasant to shoot and sufficiently powerful to do some work. i would not be surprised if it makes a come-back. the ruger No 1 is an expensive fuddy rifle that will never be popular...it costs ruger nothing to chamber it in whatever cartridge so they keep it alive for their hardcore fudds. in general Ruger enjoys this level of following that i will never understand. there are so many people out their who love their products. most of us gun nerds are not ruger loyalists. it's the people who know just enough about firearms to be annoying....those types worship ruger and will buy any of their shit.

I think the public have rejected both the cartridge and the pistol. There's a huge difference between 10mm Auto and 5.7x28. What's the story of 10mm?

*Its a caliber that starts with a .4, so that's got the "stopping power" crowd happy
*Jeff Cooper developed the cartridge and the Bren Ten + Colt Delta Elite made 10mm an '80s thing
*10mm is the parent case for .40S&W and .40 is probably the third most popular handgun cartridge in the US currently

Now look at 5.7x28:

*0.224 bore diameter, so people obsessed with bore diameter rejected the 5.7 just because it doesn't fit their narrative of "muh stopping power"
*There's nothing nostalgic about the 5.7 - nostalgia sells, look at the US Milsurp market, the whole 1911 market, and the new Colt Python
*The 5.7's two main selling points are armor penetration and low recoil = accuracy, but the average CCW'er doesn't really consider armor penetration as a factor
*A lot of people will think "overpenetration" despite hollowpoints being on the market

Back when the 5.7x28 was still the new hotness, most people simply didn't want to touch it because of the cost and its a nonstandard caliber with a radically different approach to putting down targets. You can make an absolutely great pistol but if the caliber isn't acceptable to the public, the gun won't sell. But gun companies can make absolute turds of guns like Jennings and because they're in a known, accepted caliber (.22LR, the ACPs), people still bought them.

My bet is Ruger introduced the .30 Carbine Blackhawk back when people were still buying surplus M1 carbines and surplus ammo was still a thing. I'd love to play with the cartridge but my gun options are a single action revolver (not my thing) and the M1 Carbine, which is expensive and unreliable, or, not as reliable as an AR or AK.

. it's the people who know just enough about firearms to be annoying....those types worship ruger and will buy any of their shit.
On the other hand, perhaps you know just enough about the public to be annoying? [smile]

I don't "worship" Ruger products, but sometimes they are the only game in town. For example, a relative who has severe rheumatoid arthritis and one arm. One of the few pistols that that person can hold (due to the pistols weight), shoot (due to lack of recoil, light trigger pull weight, grip angle and easy to disengage safety) and use is the Ruger 22/45 Lite. As for revolvers, I was always a fan of the S&W 686. But, I like a strong action and hate the "safety" hole drilled into them, so a GP-100 has worked well for me. Best .22 I've had? 10/22.

On the other hand, no love for the Beretta 92, with it's long DA first shot, thicker grip and no "cocked-and-locked" or "carrying with a single-action type trigger pull". That's why we have Ruger, Beretta, S&W, Ford, Chevy, Dodge etc. So we have choices.

But gun companies can make absolute turds of guns like Jennings and because they're in a known, accepted caliber (.22LR, the ACPs), people still bought them.
Jennings J-22 was the first pistol I bought. Heavy, long, heavy trigger pull, but it always went "bang". Rather have a "turd" that goes bang than a pointy stick.
[smile]

shot my friends Five-Seven and liked it. Went through 150 rounds between us with no issues. No recoil and 20 rds (this was AL). I think it is pretty cool. i hope Ruger's offering will bring down the price of the FN's pistol and would like to pick that up over the Ruger.

in general Ruger enjoys this level of following that i will never understand. there are so many people out their who love their products. most of us gun nerds are not ruger loyalists. it's the people who know just enough about firearms to be annoying....those types worship ruger and will buy any of their shit.

I could make some really simple generalizations about people I've seen who have opinions like yours, but I don't want to be as much of a dick. I like Ruger for certain guns because they make a solid product and have outstanding customer service. Simple as that.

The fact that mere civilians are allowed only neutered ammo will no doubt make the gun less attractive on principle alone.

Huh....the weird skinny guy at TFB TV said he thinks this thing solidly beats the FN57 for trigger and controls. Now if that's true, then having it be cheaper is put into a different perspective. It is now more of a view of "lets make this a two horse race and make entry into the caliber more reasonable" instead of just a dirty and quick undercutting with a garbage product. That being said, he also makes a good point in that lots of people buying the FN57 are buying it because it is an iconic FN57, not necessarily because it is the best. Those people are probably OK with the premium pricing of the FN57.

Still, with either gun....that ammo cost.

Huh....the weird skinny guy at TFB TV said he thinks this thing solidly beats the FN57 for trigger and controls. Now if that's true, then having it be cheaper is put into a different perspective. It is now more of a view of "lets make this a two horse race and make entry into the caliber more reasonable" instead of just a dirty and quick undercutting with a garbage product. That being said, he also makes a good point in that lots of people buying the FN57 are buying it because it is an iconic FN57, not necessarily because it is the best. Those people are probably OK with the premium pricing of the FN57.

Still, with either gun....that ammo cost.

When I saw the preview for the video on YouTube, the little icons on the right, I swore he was a woman. I was legit wondering when TFB TV got a woman blogger. The guy needs a beard or something.

Anyways.

I read their article and their complaints were that the trigger was mushy and they couldn't perceive when the trigger would break, they couldn't source an optic for the pistol in time for the review, the slide release was extremely stiff, and they couldn't one-hand-without-breaking-grip the safety. There's also no current threaded barrel option but Ruger is supposed to be on that. MSRP of $799, probably will sell for $600 in normal markets I think.

TFB REVIEW: Meet the New Ruger-57 5.7x28mm Pistol

Which then puts the pressure back on the ammo because TFB's review used... FN ammo.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw the preview for the video on YouTube, the little icons on the right, I swore he was a woman. I was legit wondering when TFB TV got a woman blogger. The guy needs a beard or something.

Anyways.

I read their article and their complaints were that the trigger was mushy and they couldn't perceive when the trigger would break, they couldn't source an optic for the pistol in time for the review, the slide release was extremely stiff, and they couldn't one-hand-without-breaking-grip the safety. There's also no current threaded barrel option but Ruger is supposed to be on that. MSRP of $799, probably will sell for $600 in normal markets I think.

Which then puts the pressure back on the ammo because TFB's review used... FN ammo.
I did a quick Google search for "Ruger 57". A few videos popped up at the top. The one I saw seemed fairly positive (they mentioned "flaws" like no one-hand change) but said it at least ran reliably. Using GB and Grab-A-Gun for comparison, some start at $649 (GAG- out of stock) and others at $689. Add in shipping and transfer and you are close to the$799 MSRP.

I did a quick Google search for "Ruger 57". A few videos popped up at the top. The one I saw seemed fairly positive (they mentioned "flaws" like no one-hand change) but said it at least ran reliably. Using GB and Grab-A-Gun for comparison, some start at $649 (GAG- out of stock) and others at $689. Add in shipping and transfer and you are close to the$799 MSRP.

I'm not sure what you consider "close," but GAG's $649, plus $8 GAG shipping, plus $20 transfer fee makes the gun $677 into the safe. That's a $122 delta over MSRP, which is a lot in my book, and you could use the $122 to buy almost 50 rounds of ammo for the gun.

Anyways.

TFB did a funny video of the reviewers reading mean tweets and posts about them. This guy got the "angry lesbian look" written about him. lol.

Two of the guys reviewed the Ruger. I guess the "angry lesbian" liked it and the other guy thought it was just ok. I had only seen the video so far. They both did mention the slide release being stiff and placed in a way that with even large hands, you have to break grip.

I'm not sure what you consider "close," but GAG's $649, plus $8 GAG shipping, plus $20 transfer fee makes the gun $677 into the safe. That's a $122 delta over MSRP, which is a lot in my book, and you could use the $122 to buy almost 50 rounds of ammo for the gun.

I guessing sarcasm but it’s interesting to note that Target Sports 5.7 x 28 dropped from .44 to .37 per round over the weekend. That $122 will score you somewhere around 330 rounds now.

Last edited:
TFB did a funny video of the reviewers reading mean tweets and posts about them. This guy got the "angry lesbian look" written about him. lol.

Two of the guys reviewed the Ruger. I guess the "angry lesbian" liked it and the other guy thought it was just ok. I had only seen the video so far. They both did mention the slide release being stiff and placed in a way that with even large hands, you have to break grip.

3l08wl.jpg

Weird flex, but if you don't have a yacht you don't have to worry about the stereotype.

I thought be far the funniest was "When did you add Rachel Maddow to your reviewers?"

I guessing sarcasm but it’s interesting to note that Target Sports 5.7 x 28 dropped from .44 to .37 per round over the weekend. That $122 will score you somewhere around 330 rounds now.

Not so much sarcasm as a slight exaggeration. Even at .37/rd, that's a lot for a round that's not that far off .22WMR, ballisticly speaking. Kind of a nod to the "total cost of ownership" concept.

Nope, hard pass. 5.7 is lame unless you have a shorty p90 in full f-ing auto.
This is cool for the budget minded Splinter-cell LARPer who has a pair of bushnell binos duct-taped to their foreheads. Sorry.

Nope, hard pass. 5.7 is lame unless you have a shorty p90 in full f-ing auto.
This is cool for the budget minded Splinter-cell LARPer who has a pair of bushnell binos duct-taped to their foreheads. Sorry.

What's lame about a flat shooting high velocity round? Five-SeveN is a minimal recoil pistol, fun to shoot and suppresses very well. You have high expectations if thats your definition of lame.

Back
Top Bottom