• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger introduces their take on the FN Five-Seven

Lol, it's still basically a novelty gun/caliber. Time to get a foothold? It's existed since the 90s and the FiveSeven sold for under 800 bucks in 2004. It's never going to "get a foothold". Those guns were even cheaper at one point having a dealer cost of 400 or so. The mag capacity thing is a distraction, the cartridge still sucks whether you have 21 of them or 11. Is it fun to shoot? Sure. Big bang, low recoil. But it pretty much ends there. 22tcm or 7.62 Tok are dead ends too. Although at least with the 7.62x25 there's a bunch of milsurps that shoot it. Also Pro tip: if you think that 5.7 ammo is going to drop in price you're smoking some serious crack.... It's a bottleneck cartridge with relatively
flat sales and has always been expensive ever since it was introduced. It's not like the manufacturers are making a glut of the stuff.
I bought a .22TCM conversion barrel for my Glock 17.
50 rounds fired: "Wow, this is cool. Look at that flash!"
75 rounds fired: "Yep. Kinda cool. Big WHOOMP."
OK, that was fun. 9mm barrel back in. And now it sits on the shelf along with 4 boxes of .22TCM ammo.

Agreed. Even .357Sig is fading.
Because it doesn't offer anything that can't be had in 10mm. If you give me the choice of .357 Sig and I'm limited to a 147 grain bullet or 10mm, which can shoot 220 grain bullets, I'm taking the 10mm, it's a far more versitle cartridge and the 10mm Glocks have been consistently shown to run .40 in them without any modifications at all.

That doesn't mean all bottleneck pistol calibers are doomed for death, people just haven't found a need for any of them yet and it largely has to do with the lack of pistol options. 5.7 is either the $1300 FN or the Ruger, .22 TCM is a Filipino 1911 only deal, and 7.62x25 is stuck in obsolescent, low capacity, heavy steel pistols.

It's all a self fulfilling prophecy in that because ammo is uncommon and costs $20 a box, people won't buy a caliber other than 9mm, .45, and .22 and because they won't buy any caliber other than those, gun and ammo makers don't make more guns, thus increasing demand for the ammo. As good as 10mm is it's struggling to break thru the ceiling. It's clawing and pounding as hard as it has in the past 30 years, but that ceiling is holding firm and outside of 1911's, nobody is making pistols in 10mm.

Those guns are all answers to questions nobody asked, although a 10/22 wmr wouldn't be too retarded. Henry still makes gbs in 22 wmr so it's still relevant.
Lol, it's still basically a novelty gun/caliber. Time to get a foothold? It's existed since the 90s and the FiveSeven sold for under 800 bucks in 2004. It's never going to "get a foothold". Those guns were even cheaper at one point having a dealer cost of 400 or so. The mag capacity thing is a distraction, the cartridge still sucks whether you have 21 of them or 11. Is it fun to shoot? Sure. Big bang, low recoil. But it pretty much ends there. 22tcm or 7.62 Tok are dead ends too. Although at least with the 7.62x25 there's a bunch of milsurps that shoot it. Also Pro tip: if you think that 5.7 ammo is going to drop in price you're smoking some serious crack.... It's a bottleneck cartridge with relatively
flat sales and has always been expensive ever since it was introduced. It's not like the manufacturers are making a glut of the stuff.
[/QUOTE]
Give it time. It's irrelevant what the FiveSeven was selling for 15+ years ago, it matter today and having a alternate option, competition if you will, it will drive prices of the guns down. As more people buy the Ruger, S&W and others may take notice and make their own. Once that snowball starts the ammo market follows.

That said, it is an uphill battle because it's very difficult to get a pistol caliber established when it's up against the troika of .22, 9mm, and .45. Even ones that are well established and have relatively affordable ammo like .32 ACP and .40 are struggling against the pistol caliber troika.

Give it time. It's irrelevant what the FiveSeven was selling for 15+ years ago,

No, it's not irrelevant, the cartridge has been out forever and the mainstream (including LE, where it was originally marketed) has largely rejected it.
I realize those are uncomfortable facts.

it matter today and having a alternate option, competition if you will, it will drive prices of the guns down.

As more people buy the Ruger, S&W and others may take notice and make their own.

Why would anyone else release a 5.7? So they can get the table scraps of a depleted market? Ruger is going to drain that little pond of buyers long before
anyone else can get there.

Once that snowball starts the ammo market follows.

Why didn't the ammo prices drop when FN was selling a lot more of these guns? Oh wait, because the price is part of the
retard factor. "The ammo is expensive so it must be good" etc.

Nobody is going to leave profit on the table when the buyer pool is this gullible. Think strongly about the market demo for this
cartridge. It's not exactly a brains kind of operation, at least not WRT people determining they want one of these things.

That said, it is an uphill battle because it's very difficult to get a pistol caliber established when it's up against the troika of .22, 9mm, and .45. Even ones that are well established and have relatively affordable ammo like .32 ACP and .40 are struggling against the pistol caliber troika.

Believe what you want, but it's another mostly niche cartridge.. It's already been proven that this is the case. I'm not even questioning Rugers judgement here, its smart actually, ruger recognized that there is a largely capitve audience of post 2013 "omg kewl factor = 10, gotta buy dis!" nippleheads that will latch right into this thing, and then reality will set in and sales will taper off . 5.7 is established, as a caliber that isn't going anywhere vertically. If I was a betting man Ruger probably has other plans for this platform beyond 5.7, like a 22 WMR pistol or some other weird cartridge where they can re-use most of the engineering and do it all over again.

Also, .40? not sure if serious.... For as much as I generally hate.40.... 5.7 will never even sniff .40 S&W's farts, the installed base of .40 S&W handguns is exponentially greater than 5.7 ever will be. .40 is arguably still useful. Even plataued calibers like .357 Sig and 10mm Auto will still be at a higher interest/use level than 5.7. It will always be relegated to niche status. At least at the end they will be able to go "Well, at least it isn't .45 GAP". They won't care though because by then they will have already achieved full desired ROI/healthy profit off one gun released at the right time.

No, it's not irrelevant, the cartridge has been out forever and the mainstream (including LE, where it was originally marketed) has largely rejected it.
I realize those are uncomfortable facts.

Why would anyone else release a 5.7? So they can get the table scraps of a depleted market? Ruger is going to drain that little pond of buyers long before
anyone else can get there.

Why didn't the ammo prices drop when FN was selling a lot more of these guns? Oh wait, because the price is part of the
retard factor. "The ammo is expensive so it must be good" etc.

Nobody is going to leave profit on the table when the buyer pool is this gullible. Think strongly about the market demo for this
cartridge. It's not exactly a brains kind of operation, at least not WRT people determining they want one of these things.

Believe what you want, but it's another mostly niche cartridge.. It's already been proven that this is the case. I'm not even questioning Rugers judgement here, its smart actually, ruger recognized that there is a largely capitve audience of post 2013 "omg kewl factor = 10, gotta buy dis!" nippleheads that will latch right into this thing, and then reality will set in and sales will taper off . 5.7 is established, as a caliber that isn't going anywhere vertically. If I was a betting man Ruger probably has other plans for this platform beyond 5.7, like a 22 WMR pistol or some other weird cartridge where they can re-use most of the engineering and do it all over again.

Also, .40? not sure if serious.... For as much as I generally hate.40.... 5.7 will never even sniff .40 S&W's farts, the installed base of .40 S&W handguns is exponentially greater than 5.7 ever will be. .40 is arguably still useful. Even plataued calibers like .357 Sig and 10mm Auto will still be at a higher interest/use level than 5.7. It will always be relegated to niche status. At least at the end they will be able to go "Well, at least it isn't .45 GAP". They won't care though because by then they will have already achieved full desired ROI/healthy profit off one gun released at the right time.

i own the FN, had a chance to test fire the Ruger. It had a lot More felt recoil and muzzle flip. My FN feels like a loud 22 and shoots super tight groups. I’m hopeful that Ruger entering the market will get other ammo makers to produce 5.7x 28 ammunition.

i own the FN, had a chance to test fire the Ruger. It had a lot More felt recoil and muzzle flip. My FN feels like a loud 22 and shoots super tight groups. I’m hopeful that Ruger entering the market will get other ammo makers to produce 5.7x 28 ammunition.

Right now there is a sort of shortage, but I can't imagine that someone is going to put the capital out for a line for it. If Federal is making the stuff best one
could hope for is they develop another load for it.

Shooters Outpost (Hooksett, NH) had one in stock $639 Friday, which was mine yesterday. It took an even 24hr to get the 4473 clear - longest ever.

I gave it a thorough cleaning and cycled the safety, slide/trigger 100 times. It smoothed out noticeably. I have a VortexViper red dot/mount plate on order as well as 500rd FN SS197SR “Blue Tip” for $519 delivered. Ouch! It’s not been cheaper than about 40 cents a round ever, but the recent increase is crazy! OWB holster and speed loader arrive from Amazon today.

At 10 yards, a laser bore sighted finds wind age spot on an elevation 1-2 inches high (combat sighting on the front green fiber dot vs top of blade). The front sight blade is visually just a tad left, so the factory must have compensated with the rear.

An early XMAS present, COVID19 buy, collapse of society and pre-election panic-buy all in one gun!

43D4D696-241C-459E-8BFA-60BC46B95AAA.jpeg

My wife, who is visiting her Mom upstate NY, was kind enough to ring and say it’s OK.
F598C9D2-BB85-4BF3-B9CC-8B24BF343DFB.jpeg

Off-topic for sure but what is "Big Kahuna's Smokehouse"? No more Copper Cafe?
Only a month or so since I was last there at SO....

I shot one a couple of weeks ago, was an interesting gun and fun to shoot. Don’t know that I’d buy one right now given the ammo situation.

Off-topic for sure but what is "Big Kahuna's Smokehouse"? No more Copper Cafe?
Only a month or so since I was last there at SO....

Looks like a nice BBQ place - lots of folks out dining on the porch on a warm afternoon. How they fare during the Winter months indoors? Well, it’s not a huge mask-wearing clientele at SO. Nobody shamed for wearing or not wearing a mask - we all have different risk profiles. But you can’t knaw a rib with a mask on and their rub probably kills most any bug you’re scared of...

Ruger has discovered that a small number of Ruger-57 pistols may have right safety levers that do not meet our specifications and may be prone to cracking. Although only a very small number of pistols appear to be affected, Ruger is committed to safety and is asking owners of Ruger-57 pistols to perform a routine function check of the safety lever to ensure its proper operation and, if necessary, sign up for this retrofit. View Safety Bulletin PDF

Back
Top Bottom