Ruger American? Rem 700? Savage Axis?

It's not advertised, but you are correct on this sale.
Natick has the same deal...I stand corrected.
Thx

I guess I was right too [thinking] when Dick's has a sale, you walk in with the email and no questions asked.

I guess I was right too [thinking] when Dick's has a sale, you walk in with the email and no questions asked.
What are you 10 yrs old? [laugh2] Ok, ready for it...you were right too...happy? [rolleyes] [rofl]

Salyeica,
This (Savage 11 VT) sale seems to be a good deal, if the heavy barrel will work for you (price wise).
If not, the axis is a great rifle for a great price... if you can find one on sale.
Alot of people think the Axis is a great platform (at it's price point) to build with because less metal is machined from the receiver making it more rigid.
Also, Savage rifles are one of the easiest rifles to work on, change caliber, change barrels and headspace the chambers.
If you decide to modify the rifle, the parts can be bought directly from Savage here in Westfield, MA.

If you are interested in a Savage visit savageshooters.com, there's a ton of knowledge and info there.

BTW, I have two Axis's in .243 that will put 3 bullet holes touching @ 100 yds... if I do my part.

Last edited:
While I want a Ruger gunsite scout, I can't justify one honestly. I'm tending towards savage axis due to the details listed above. Being able to rebarrel with hand tools is huge for a lifetime investment.

Sent from my LG-K371

You won't regret buying an Axis (or a Ruger American), if you don't mind its utilitarian design. They shoot on par with rifles costing multiples more. There are compromises made to bring in a rifle at such a low price but accuracy is not one of them.

i have cartridge jam issues on my Rem 700. And remington now acts like dicks about customer service. Try another one.

i have a Savage SS .300 win mag that is built like a brick shithouse, though.

Remington has so many recalled model 700 triggers to fix its mind boggling to try and think how they will do it. I'm sure they are banking on most folks not bothering. Freedom Group gets $0 of my money. Crap company running a bunch of terrific old brands into the ground.

AT Dicks until 2/4. This is definitely a step up from what I posted above and I think a great deal.

ZUqFrZADobCoFxZl8LjqVzzPdXTlHsVKAGx30Xun8OAztTjTik43f68BzJxh3IREpXYfueBDSKXIyEP0fie6C_4jujF86I9HViWil4aXOUcz8ixF2qLUuxgvAkawQkYYmcrDlbEbLhTtryAG=s0-d-e1-ft

I used to get emails with offers like that. Now I get online only offers and athletic bs. How do I fix that?

You won't regret buying an Axis (or a Ruger American), if you don't mind its utilitarian design. They shoot on par with rifles costing multiples more. There are compromises made to bring in a rifle at such a low price but accuracy is not one of them.
I bought a matched set of Ruger KM77MKII stainless bolt action rifles. One is .308 and the other is .223. Both very accurate and reliable. Both wear Leupold optics. Never had a problem with either. The .223 is my wife's favorite.

Remington has so many recalled model 700 triggers to fix its mind boggling to try and think how they will do it. I'm sure they are banking on most folks not bothering. Freedom Group gets $0 of my money. Crap company running a bunch of terrific old brands into the ground.

yeah, i wish i had bought stock in the Timney trigger company! [rofl]

Another option for a heavy barreled Savage is the 12 FV from Cabela's. $420, 26in heavy barrel and blind magazine. I picked one up last night havent had a chance to shoot it yet but it seems very nice. Trigger seems amazing for an off the shelf gun. I considered the Dicks model but because I had some gift cards the Cabela's was less money for me, I do kind of like the shorter barrel the Dicks model has but I also feel a little dirty shopping there. I had a scope for it already so the bundled scope wasn't a selling point for me. It seems people replace the stocks on pretty much all of the rifles at this price point and the Cabela's should pretty much drop into a boyds, the Dicks model you may have to get some parts for the box magazine if you want to swap the stock (an extra $100-150 in parts).

The Dicks coupon for the Savage Arms 11VT sale $449 plus $50 rebate.

My son wants one, so I called the North Attleborough store and they know nothing about the sale, does anyone have the official coupon.

unnamed (2).jpg

Thanks

Harry

Another vote for Savage Axis , i have one in 6.5 creedmore and its a laser. First time i shot it standing 100 yds i put 2 almost in the same hole and the third just missed touching . I was sold instantly. I also have a savage 111 in 22-250 heavy barrel that shoots excellent, but its awfully heavy to carry.

Here is a Cabella's sale. Rem 700 ADL Special Varmint. SPS stock. 26" heavy barrel. Your choice of .223 or 22-250 or .308WIn.

Its $425 on Sale, and Remington has a $75 rebate on it so it nets out at $350 (Plus tax on the $425)

You can order it on line, so the only time you need to go to store is to pick it up.

Cabelas has the 12FV on sale for 319.99 and with the code 17SPRING ($20 off $150) that brings it down to an even $300. I may or may not have ordered one in 308 to go with my 223. I can't even buy a used action for that kind of money.

I just bought a Stealth in 6.5. Want to shoot it but my range is buried in snow. Maybe the 4Runner can get down there though.

I had a Savage 10 FCP-K in 308 in a Choate stock. Very accurate, but heavy. Now I'm looking at RPR in 6.5CM (though 308 is still tempting). The problem is 308 and 5.56 have very similar trajectory, 308 just hits harder. 6.5CM is flatter and reaches out more efficiently.

I had a Savage 10 FCP-K in 308 in a Choate stock. Very accurate, but heavy. Now I'm looking at RPR in 6.5CM (though 308 is still tempting). The problem is 308 and 5.56 have very similar trajectory, 308 just hits harder. 6.5CM is flatter and reaches out more efficiently.

I am hoping you go .308 so I can enjoy your wind calls. [smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom