• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger American? Rem 700? Savage Axis?

Salyeica

NES Member
Looking to grab a "decent" bolt action in the near future. My Google-fu most commonly yields the brands/models in the title. Is there one that's preferred over the others? I was thinking of .308, but is there another caliber I should consider?

Don't think I'm in the Tikka price range, at least not yet.

Thanks!

I've had good luck with both the Savage Axis and the Ruger American. Not pretty rifles but highly functional. All I've had were sub 1 MOA rifles. If you do go Savage get the version with the Accutrigger. The triggers on the non Accutrigger Savages aren't great.

I have a Savage model 10 with a accu trigger in .308

Nice rifle but has cheap plastic sights... I recently put a Vortex scope on it because the sights were not dependable.

What kind of shooting are you looking to do? Target, hunting, precision shooting?

I've recently traveled down this rabbit hole and can offer some of my experience after trying to do some long distance precision shooting (prairie dogs in TX in the wind) closest shot was 275 with a 17HMR, coyote kill at 325 with 5.56 and a couple head shots with 308 at 500+.

2.23/5.56 (Mossberg MVP) shot great a my local range (100 yards) I was putting groups into a dime, thinking I was going to be shooting 300 yards max in TX. I discovered a flatter shooting round that was better for the kind of shooting I was doing, 22-250.

308 (Ruger Precision) shot well out to distance and didn't buck in the win as much as 5.56 but the drop was pretty bad. Took between 3-5 shots to get it right for each dog. A few at the same distance I was able to headshot. About 3 the entire trip. I later discovered 6.5 Creedmoor and it has very similar ballistics but drops less and is less to reload over 308.

I sold both guns and bought Savage 12's and I can say Savage is the way to go. I didn't always think of Savage the way I do now but there are plenty of stocks and parts to upgrade them out there. I recommend Savage for the value / price and future options available.

I would rate the following in this order.

Ruger American
Savage Axis
Remington 700
Precision Rifle (Ruger American Action)
Savage Model #s

Cost of ammo and what you are looking do will determine what caliber you end up going with. Generally

You just plan on shooting 100-200 yards, paper, possibly hunting I'd go with the none heavy barrels in 308 as you won't be shooting that many rounds and it will be light to shoot (more recoil) Ruger American, Savage Axis.

If you plan on a high volume of shots in a shorter time period and don't plan on lugging it around for hunting then Rem 700 in a heavier profile over hunting, Precision and Savage Models.

does the MVP though have a really crappy feeding system?
7-Mossberg-MVP.jpg

which bolt actions use a mauser system.. the ruger m77, a mauser sporter, and what else ?
i would be going with CRF for a bolt gun personally

All are good options. The savage comes with a sighted scope right out of the box. 308 and 270 are excellent hunting calibers. 270 has a flatter flightpath so if you are shooting longer distances you may prefer 270 over the 308.

I would go with a savage it's the best value, and you will be able to upgrade it without being at the mercy of a gunsmith.

Dean

image.jpeg
100 yards. Rem 700 in .308
image.jpeg
The playing card is 3 from my daughter when she was 11 @ 100 yards with her savage 12FP in .223

Last edited:
What kind of shooting are you looking to do? Target, hunting, precision shooting?

I've recently traveled down this rabbit hole and can offer some of my experience after trying to do some long distance precision shooting (prairie dogs in TX in the wind) closest shot was 275 with a 17HMR, coyote kill at 325 with 5.56 and a couple head shots with 308 at 500+.

2.23/5.56 (Mossberg MVP) shot great a my local range (100 yards) I was putting groups into a dime, thinking I was going to be shooting 300 yards max in TX. I discovered a flatter shooting round that was better for the kind of shooting I was doing, 22-250.

308 (Ruger Precision) shot well out to distance and didn't buck in the win as much as 5.56 but the drop was pretty bad. Took between 3-5 shots to get it right for each dog. A few at the same distance I was able to headshot. About 3 the entire trip. I later discovered 6.5 Creedmoor and it has very similar ballistics but drops less and is less to reload over 308.

I sold both guns and bought Savage 12's and I can say Savage is the way to go. I didn't always think of Savage the way I do now but there are plenty of stocks and parts to upgrade them out there. I recommend Savage for the value / price and future options available.

I would rate the following in this order.

Ruger American
Savage Axis
Remington 700
Precision Rifle (Ruger American Action)
Savage Model #s

Cost of ammo and what you are looking do will determine what caliber you end up going with. Generally

You just plan on shooting 100-200 yards, paper, possibly hunting I'd go with the none heavy barrels in 308 as you won't be shooting that many rounds and it will be light to shoot (more recoil) Ruger American, Savage Axis.

If you plan on a high volume of shots in a shorter time period and don't plan on lugging it around for hunting then Rem 700 in a heavier profile over hunting, Precision and Savage Models.

Mostly target shooting. I also have a vortex diamondback scope I bought for another AR project, so I don't necessarily have to settle for a w/optic package.

The 700 would be more comparable to a Savage 110 rather than the Savage Axis. I personally would go with the 110. I've handled the Ruger American rifle and I thought it was too cheaply built. The new Savages are really nice.

Are the CZ rifles any good? They do look pretty.

They're supposed to be good but I don't think anyone uses them as precision rifle platforms. The CZ .22 bolt actions rifles I've handled were very nice. CZ bolt actions simply don't have the aftermarket that Remingtons or Savages would.

I think their Safari rifles are well respected, but I don't think a .375 H&H Magnum is what the OP intended [laugh]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruger Precision Rifle is a pure bench rifle IMHO. Great choice if you want an inexpensive tacticool (nothing wrong with that) bolt action.

For other tacticool choices that will not bankrupt you can get

Mossberg MVP LC
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...-rifles/_/N-1114860/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105523380

Savage 110 BA
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...-rifles/_/N-1114860/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105523380

Bergara
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo..._st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNP&recordsPerPage=48

Veatherby
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo..._st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNP&recordsPerPage=48

If you want to go total tacticool, then there is bullpup bolt action from Desert Tactical. Some day.

https://deserttech.com/html/product_overview.php?product_id=3&load=product_overview

They're supposed to be good but I don't think anyone uses them as precision rifle platforms. The CZ .22 bolt actions rifles I've handled were very nice. CZ bolt actions simply don't have the aftermarket that Remingtons or Savages would.

I think their Safari rifles are well respected, but I don't think a .375 H&H Magnum is what the OP intended [laugh]

A CZ bolt gun in 7.62 x 39 would be pretty cool!

My son has a Ruger American in .308.
It's a nice little rifle.
There were some issues at first with the magazines which have been addressed.
It's a sweet shooter with a nice glass on it and he's dead on with it.
I've been dragging around my old Winchester model 70 for 30 years and this thing seems like a paper clip in comparison to weight.

I'm familiar with the Ruger American in .22, it's very nice. Hard to beat the price/quality combination.

The action on the Tikka is so smooth it feels like it can bring a tear to the eye.

this.

#1 you gotta figure out what's your purpose for the rifle. this is critical. if you want something for precision or target and you end up purchasing a good hunting rig, there's no way to convert. you're kinda stuck.

#2 decide the chambering. the selection of chambering is more important than the rifle. if it's a target rifle, I personally do not see much use for .308 or even higher. To 300 yards I find .223 more than capable for fun at the range, and far cheaper. I do like .308 but for me it's for hunting or to buck the wind better at 400+ yards.

#3 decide on your optics. the best rifle in the world isn't worth shit unless the optics are quality

personally my favorite bolt action rifle is the Ruger American Ranch .223. I like it so much the .300 blackout is on it's way too. 16" barrel, very light and handy, threaded barrel, weaver rail installed, triple lug bolt for nice short throw. it's basically ready to rock and roll and stupid accurate.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html

I am very partial to the 7.62x39 cartridge due to its low cost and nice intermediate power while still giving that .30 caliber shwak on the steel. If you also like this chambering then consider the CZ 527 or a zastava M85 either in 7.62x39. The CZ 527 in 7.62x39 is an all time favorite of many shooters.

I think the consensus is that Ruger quality is hit or miss, the Remington needs upgrades to work really well and the Savage is good out of the box. The plastic Savage stocks are pretty cheesy so maybe plan to upgrade it or spend a little extra on a 110/112 with a walnut or laminate stock.

How would 300 winmag fair for precision shooting?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

IMO if you are not going to be shooting it at 600+ yards you are throwing away money on ammo. I don't think there would be a noticeable performance difference between 300 winmag and say .308 shooting targets sub 600 yards.

I know more shooters who have kept their savage rifles than the others you mention.
Although CZ might not have the aftermarket following there are very nice also.
Friend picked up a CZ varmint with heavy barrel http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-557-varmint/ I think this is the one, and with basic remington green box softpoints was banging out 1.125" groups pretty darn consistently.
Also seen several CZ 22s in the past year. This one has,my attention
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-va...-camo-22-lr-5-rd-mag-manners-composite-stock/

Last edited:
this.

#1 you gotta figure out what's your purpose for the rifle. this is critical. if you want something for precision or target and you end up purchasing a good hunting rig, there's no way to convert. you're kinda stuck.

#2 decide the chambering. the selection of chambering is more important than the rifle. if it's a target rifle, I personally do not see much use for .308 or even higher. To 300 yards I find .223 more than capable for fun at the range, and far cheaper. I do like .308 but for me it's for hunting or to buck the wind better at 400+ yards.

#3 decide on your optics. the best rifle in the world isn't worth shit unless the optics are quality

personally my favorite bolt action rifle is the Ruger American Ranch .223. I like it so much the .300 blackout is on it's way too. 16" barrel, very light and handy, threaded barrel, weaver rail installed, triple lug bolt for nice short throw. it's basically ready to rock and roll and stupid accurate.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html

I am very partial to the 7.62x39 cartridge due to its low cost and nice intermediate power while still giving that .30 caliber shwak on the steel. If you also like this chambering then consider the CZ 527 or a zastava M85 either in 7.62x39. The CZ 527 in 7.62x39 is an all time favorite of many shooters.

Primarily target shooting. I dont have much experience with different chamberings. I have shot a few, but it's an embarrassingly small sample size. My thought was to start varying my collection (I.e., have an AR, what else should I have?). This will be my first bolt gun.

From my Personal experience you will get bored shooting a 308, which will never happen with a 300 WinMag. My rule of thumb is 10gr of powder case capacity per 100 yards past 500yds, I tend to avoid rounds with wholesale amounts of bullet drop no matter what the BC of the bullet is, whether it is right or wrong it is how I shoot and it works for me.

These are the cases I use they are not necessarily 30 caliber, I use 6mm 6.5mm and 7mm bullets with these cases.

600yds 30-06 60gr cap

700yds 300WSM 70gr cap

800yds 300 Wm 80gr cap

1000yds 300 Rum 100gr cap

From left to right 6.5-06AI, 264WinMag, 6.5WSM, 6.5WinMag, 6.5RUM

Dean

Last edited:
Mel on sniper central used to put some nice sub $1200 rifles together, based on either REM or Howa actions, bedded into a Bell+Carlson stock. With a Savage, finding a decent stock can be a chore, because of different placements of the bolt release and different action screw spacing depending on model and year. But to be honest, a Savage 10 with accutrigger and accustock will shoot better than most of us here.

Primarily target shooting. I dont have much experience with different chamberings. I have shot a few, but it's an embarrassingly small sample size. My thought was to start varying my collection (I.e., have an AR, what else should I have?). This will be my first bolt gun.

I am so pleased with this ruger ranch 5.56/.223 that its sister in 300 blk is on her way to the FFL....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom