Ruger American? Rem 700? Savage Axis?

Primarily target shooting. I dont have much experience with different chamberings. I have shot a few, but it's an embarrassingly small sample size. My thought was to start varying my collection (I.e., have an AR, what else should I have?). This will be my first bolt gun.

I am so pleased with this ruger ranch 5.56/.223 that its sister in 300 blk is on her way to the FFL....

.223 would be cool, especially since you have an AR.

Most of your "traditional" bolt action rifle calibers aren't cheap to shoot. Unless you stock up on surplus .30-06 or you reload, you're going to be spending around $20 a box of 20. I say around because you can find cheaper ammo like PPU but you can also find more expensive ammo like $40 hunting rounds. Remington Core Lokt is a happy medium price wise. A magnum rifle like a .300 Win Mag is going to be similar if not more. Again, assuming you don't reload. The .308 is the standard of tactical bolt actions and I can tell you that except for imported stuff like ZQ (do they even sell that anymore, considering politics in Turkey now?) and PPU, the .308 is not cheap to shoot unless you reload or buy surplus 7.62x51.

That being said, I would look for a cheap caliber for a first bolt action rifle. I would look into .223, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r (I know, I know, OP didn't say Mosin) and maybe 7.92x57, which could be done if you take a beat up .30-06 Savage and get an 8mm barrel for it since they share a similar sized bolt face.

I find 7.62x39 fun to shoot myself and Hickok45 had no issues with the CZ he shot. Savage at one time made a 7.62x39 rifle but it was a niche model. Ruger also made one.

Exception to the rule would be .243. It wouldn't be cheap, but it is plentiful at gun shops around the country, wouldn't run out in the case of an ammo run (Hillary '16) and is a good starter cartridge for young hunters-to-be. Or young-shooters-to-be.

Love my 700

http://www.snipercentral.com/remington-700-sniper-rifle-package/.

rementrypack-mk2adj-green-600x150.jpg

Close Thread...

I got my ruger American in .308 to shoot 3/8" for 3 shots and I'm a notice rifle shooter. I seem to have to rezero my scope every time out, but that's probably the scope rings not tight enough? Haven't shot the other ones, but I'm sure you can't go wrong with any. $347 for my American.

20160220_145221.jpg

Last edited:
Which bolt guns come in lefty? Is it worth it to buy a left handed bolt rifle or should I stick to right because of resale value?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Looking to grab a "decent" bolt action in the near future. My Google-fu most commonly yields the brands/models in the title. Is there one that's preferred over the others? I was thinking of .308, but is there another caliber I should consider?

Don't think I'm in the Tikka price range, at least not yet.

Thanks!

I really like this guys approach to cartridge selection. It's very data based and objective. There is not right answer to all situations. worth the 35min watch IMO.

[video]https://youtu.be/FtlwoNCNnFA?list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxU n[/video]

Which bolt guns come in lefty? Is it worth it to buy a left handed bolt rifle or should I stick to right because of resale value?

If you are concerned with resale period - go RH. I shoot LH and only buy RH. You learn how to deal with it. If you are using the weapon as a tool to hunt and put food on the table, Then get a LH (Or a lever action!) for follow up shots. If you do not need a quick follow up shot, stick with RH.

Dont touch the Axis - go with the Axis II. Axis II has the accutrigger.

Savage is by far the best shooter out of the box. My Mossberg MVP Patrol with its 16" barrel (556) is as smooth as a pineapple but it does shoot very well.

rem 700 have all sorts of bad press about accidental discharge when you move the safety lever. Couple that with reports of horrendous customer service, and I would stay away.

I have a 700, and am aiming to install a timney trigger to get around the potential issue.

I picked up a 700 bdl in 308 . Had a Winnie 70 xtr--Savage axis--Ruger American all in 308. Still have 700. My accutrigger clicked as it broke. Cost me a nice NH buck. Ruger stock was crap, and I too am a lefty and just couldn't work the Winnie safety. The 700 was a few years old when I got her. My cousin has one of the Marlin bolts in 06 and loves it. His trigger clicks but not as loud as my Axis did. I would try to shoot a couple of your choices and go from there. Your $$ your choice..

Have been watching a guy on YT try to build a legit 1000 yd rifle for $500. not gonna happen as the scope is the weak spot at the available price, but the rifles are all decent performers that can be massaged. These are the original choices he considered and ended up with the Axis, although I'd say they're all pretty equal.
Savage Axis
Remington 783
Ruger American
Mossberg Patriot

I was in Cabelas today and fondled at Zastava M70 standard in .270. Looked damn nice with a nice wood stock for $399. The main difference I see is the Mauser style locking system while most of the others have the floating bolt face, that does enhance accuracy. Also, the first thing you do on the cheap plastic stocks is replace them with something with a vertical grip. This is more of a hunting angle I guess. Can't be too comfortable in prone.

m70-stand-sl.png

I've never even heard of this model. Anyone have this or have info related?

Last edited:
I was just at Cabela's in Hudson and almost bought a Zastava, but they didn't have one in .308

also, what about Weatherby Vanguard II?

The Vanguard's are excellent rifles. The stock sucks (flimsy, although the shape is better than most cheap stocks) and they are not free floated but they still shoot. Weatherby says their hunting (thin) barrels shoot better not free floated. They are a few more bucks and a little bit more refined than the very functional but kind of crude Ruger American or the Savage Axis.

I have a .308 Vanguard that I dropped in a Bell & Carlson composite stock and it's a wonderful rifle. As accurate and reliable of a hunting rifle as you will find. Even looks half decent.

AT Dicks until 2/4. This is definitely a step up from what I posted above and I think a great deal.

ZUqFrZADobCoFxZl8LjqVzzPdXTlHsVKAGx30Xun8OAztTjTik43f68BzJxh3IREpXYfueBDSKXIyEP0fie6C_4jujF86I9HViWil4aXOUcz8ixF2qLUuxgvAkawQkYYmcrDlbEbLhTtryAG=s0-d-e1-ft

.223 would be cool, especially since you have an AR.

Most of your "traditional" bolt action rifle calibers aren't cheap to shoot. Unless you stock up on surplus .30-06 or you reload, you're going to be spending around $20 a box of 20. I say around because you can find cheaper ammo like PPU but you can also find more expensive ammo like $40 hunting rounds. Remington Core Lokt is a happy medium price wise. A magnum rifle like a .300 Win Mag is going to be similar if not more. Again, assuming you don't reload. The .308 is the standard of tactical bolt actions and I can tell you that except for imported stuff like ZQ (do they even sell that anymore, considering politics in Turkey now?) and PPU, the .308 is not cheap to shoot unless you reload or buy surplus 7.62x51.

That being said, I would look for a cheap caliber for a first bolt action rifle. I would look into .223, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r (I know, I know, OP didn't say Mosin) and maybe 7.92x57, which could be done if you take a beat up .30-06 Savage and get an 8mm barrel for it since they share a similar sized bolt face.

I find 7.62x39 fun to shoot myself and Hickok45 had no issues with the CZ he shot. Savage at one time made a 7.62x39 rifle but it was a niche model. Ruger also made one.

Exception to the rule would be .243. It wouldn't be cheap, but it is plentiful at gun shops around the country, wouldn't run out in the case of an ammo run (Hillary '16) and is a good starter cartridge for young hunters-to-be. Or young-shooters-to-be.

TK421991 pretty much nailed it. Since you have an AR, a bolt gun in .223 seems a no brainer. If you want to step up to something else, Win 243 is great caliber choice. Lower recoil than .308, comfortable to shoot, flat shooting (and during the Obama shortages when you could not get .223/ 5.56/ 308/ 7.62 or 22 RF, there was only one time I walked into a Walmart that did not have .243 Win on the shelf)

I would go with Rem 700 in either one. The new units coming out now don't have the trigger issues of the "recall years". In the spring, Remington will likely have the $50 rebate going again, and SPS units (special purpose synthetic) plastic stock, can be had for $350 - $380 on sale if you want light barrel, and Cabelas has been doing the Rem 700 Varmint with 26" Heavy Barrel for $499, sometimes on sale for $399.

Last year my brother bought two of the SPS in .223, added a Boyds laminate stock ($120?) and a cheap tasco scope, and we had them both shooting sub MOA with hand loads when I visited him down in Texas. He bought the second one just to see if the first one was a fluke. It wasn't. $500 for sub MOA.

I just made my first range trip with a Rem 700 varmint in 308 that I recently purchased. With cheap factory ammo shot two 1.5 inch groups with a terrible 9X scope that would not focus. Tossed the scope when I got home. Next trip will see what it will do when I can see. But I only bought this to rebarrel into 6.5 Creedmore, otherwise would not have gone into .308 again. If I planned to keep it in the caliber I bought, would have gone with .243 Win, (but I already have one that I love).

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Buy it to shoot it! Don't worry about resale.
I have Left Hand Rem 700 in 30.06; Left Hand Savage 110 in .300 Win Mag; and RH Winchester Model 70 in .308. All are excellent quality, but I take the Remington 700 if I had to choose one.

Last edited:
Since Savage and Ruger both make a nuce selection of rifles in it I'd be remiss not to suggest that if you are considering an Axis or a Ruger American that you consider the 6.5 Creedmoor. I've got two rifles chambered in it and it is a fantastic caliber for target shooting or deer sized game. Packs a little more punch than .243, mild recoil, great ballistics. I know everyone has their favorite calibers but 6.5 creedmoor is mine.

Since Savage and Ruger both make a nuce selection of rifles in it I'd be remiss not to suggest that if you are considering an Axis or a Ruger American that you consider the 6.5 Creedmoor. I've got two rifles chambered in it and it is a fantastic caliber for target shooting or deer sized game. Packs a little more punch than .243, mild recoil, great ballistics. I know everyone has their favorite calibers but 6.5 creedmoor is mine.

I actually just came here to talk about 6.5 Creedmoor
No one has mentioned it yet in this thread or suggested it.
I've been toying with the idea of a bolt gun lately and from the reading I've done, I'm leaning towards 6.5 Creedmoor
It would be range use and possible deer hunting.

So what's everyone suggesting for 6.5 rifles?

Obligatory "If you can only have one, get a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle."

I love my .308 GSR. Now also available in 5.56. LH versions too. I buy in to the scout rifle concept (google "Col. Jeff Cooper').

Solid action. Accurate enough (I'm not shooting competitions). Light-ish shoulderable carbine suitable for a range of tasks. I really like the gray laminated wood stock. Comes with three 1/2" spacers to adjust LOP.

1/2" x 28 threaded barrel. Std A2 flash hider or ready for a can.

3, 5, and 10 rd polymer mags available, but not cheap. Std metal mag is cludgy by comparison.

Shoot it from a bench, prone, or off-hand. Std sling swivel stud for bipod mounting and/or a sling.

Open sites standard. I've shot mine with opens, red dot, Nikon M-308 mounted above the receiver, and currently has a 2-7x long eye relief scout scope mounted on the forward rail for two eye open shooting.

Trigger is suitable. Not a target trigger but there are apparently options to tune it.

What's the OP's budget, including optics and accessories?

Last edited:
You're infatuated with this rifle huh? Lol

I just happen to be in the market for a PRS style bolt rifle that can reach 1,000 yards and it fits the bill. I have also looked at the offerings from Ruger, Savage, Sako, & Tikka. Remington Arms Co isn't getting a dime from me.

I just happen to be in the market for a PRS style bolt rifle that can reach 1,000 yards and it fits the bill. I have also looked at the offerings from Ruger, Savage, Sako, & Tikka. Remington Arms Co isn't getting a dime from me.
My Beretta fan boy wants a Tikka. Can't afford that now though.

I can confirm that at the Hadley store they have a .308 at $449 (actually shows the after rebate price of 399).

Not looking to get into the pros/cons of Dicks just information.
It's not advertised, but you are correct on this sale.
Natick has the same deal...I stand corrected.
Thx

Back
Top Bottom