• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger .357 magnum LCR ouch

You probably only get 75 fps velocity and a big fireball over using 38 +P loads, but I guess you also get pain as a bonus.

^^this

its simple newtonian physics. Can only accelerate so much in a 2" barrel.
the 357 gets u more blast and pain...thats it

Yeah I should probably shoot one before I buy it. I have the 6" GP100 and love that gun but I feel like I should have a smaller revolver to try out for CC.
Love my 6" GP100 as well. The LCR is quite a different experience, although the trigger is better on the little gun. And another excuse for me to post the spooning pic [smile]

rugers.jpg

I recently looked at LCRs in 38 and 357. Although I like them they are just as large as my 3.3" XDs, and the cylinder is wider. The XDs is my primary EDC and has very little recoil for a 45.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Love my 6" GP100 as well. The LCR is quite a different experience, although the trigger is better on the little gun. And another excuse for me to post the spooning pic [smile]

rugers.jpg

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

I only have the 4" GP, but I figure having the LCR in .357 makes up for it...and if I can get half the mileage out of this pic that you do, I will be a happy man! [laugh]

Attachments

• %u00255BUNSET%u00255D.jpg
    %u00255BUNSET%u00255D.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 16
I recently looked at LCRs in 38 and 357. Although I like them they are just as large as my 3.3" XDs, and the cylinder is wider. The XDs is my primary EDC and has very little recoil for a 45.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

I like J-frame/LCR cuz it can go bang from inside a coat pocket.
good luck getting an auto to do that (well at least >1x)

The LCR certainly hurts when loaded with full .357 magnum loads! It's a very good gun though; in the future when I can only have one single gun here in Massachusetts (just wait for the new laws!), the LCR in .357 will be the single one I'll keep.

The mandatory spooning picture:

original.jpg
The stainless... is that an Alaskan?

Nice trio! I got the same three only different. Sure the lcr in 357 hurts but that's why I enjoy shooting it. Even shoot it one handed but accuracy sufferers ALOT! Still fun to shoot.

Gonna have to get a mini to go with my GP100 6" one of the days so I can make a spoon pic too...

I recently made my Mossy into an HD gun... 16" (factory made) and a pistol grip stock. 00buck one handed kicks a little...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140605_195436.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140605_195436.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 17
You must spread some ammo before drooling over Rugers. How are the Alaskans on the hands compared to .357 out of the LCR?

You must spread some ammo before drooling over Rugers. How are the Alaskans on the hands compared to .357 out of the LCR?

Thats what I would like to know too. I've been dying to try out a 44, 454, and 500. Basically anything above a 357.

- - - Updated - - -

The Alaskan in .44 magnum isn't bad at all. Don't get me wrong, it kicks, but I'd say full .357 magnum in the LCR is worse.

Haven't shot the Alaskan in .454 Casull yet, but I have a range trip planned for Saturday morning [wink]

Do you plan to reload for 44 and 454?

I have only one 44 magnum and it's the ruger super redhawk 9.5" barrel.
nice low recoil and can hit 100 yard targets all day long with iron sights....so i'm not exactly looking for anymore .44 revolvers.
if you are in the market check out long barrel .44's. ballistics are impressive.
only down-side is i need a suitcase to carry it.

I got a new Ruger LCR .357 Magnum. I just wanted to say ouch, it really hurts to fire .357 magnum, I mean like it's going to damage my hand. I am going to stick to .38 special only from now on in this thing.

I've got a 340 PD (The .357 scandium S&W that weighs 5 oz less than the ruger and doesn't have that sweet hogue grip) and thought the .357 LCR was not too bad.

But then again. My 340 is a great way to induce a flinch.

Hold it with a stupidly high hand grip and it will help a bit. That's why I bought the 38 instead of the 357. Removes the temptation. :)

Agreed.

My 6" 686 with a full underlug barrel is a pussycat with full house .357 loads.
My 4" 66 is snappy
My 11 ounce, J frame 340 is a beast.

3 things work for or against you with respect to recoil:

1) Weight
2) Barrel length, even irrespective of weight. A long barrel tends to push back more and flip up less.
3) Grip size - a large full length grip that lets you hold the gun with your whole hand and spreads recoil into your whole hand is much easier to shot than a slim, short grip that concentrates forces and doesn't let you get your pinkie on the grip to help control flip.

Don

Lightweight guns are easy to carry, but difficult to shoot. While you won't care about the pain, or even feel it during a defensive gun use, the pain will prevent you from properly practicing with it. That's why I carry full-steel snubbies. My preferences are the S&W 640 or the Ruger SP101. After a little while you won't even notice the extra weight when carrying.

This is exactly what I was going to say

The trend in the gun industry to make the smallest, lightest, most powerful handgun is counterintuitive to what you want in a firearm. If you are gonna carry a gun for self defense, you should be ACCURATE with it. How the hell are you supposed to be accurate with a .357 in a a whateveratanium frame, if it hurts your hand to shoot? I don't want to carry the LIGHTEST gun I can, I want to carry the gun I'm most accurate and comfortable shooting. Being able to control your firearm and put rounds on target consistently breeds confidence. Confidence brings poise. Poise brings a steady hand, clear focus, and gives you the best chance of making it out alive.

Can these lightweight handheld a-bombs be controlled and accurate? With practice, absolutely. But by whom? And why?

We know that most encounters are usually up close, making a "belly gun" out of just about whatever you are carrying, but again….I would much rather have something that I feel confident in making follow up shots. I have a S&W 442 which ISNT steel framed, and it's the lightest I would think about going.

I shot the hottest loads I could find out of mine and was reasonably depressed and how tame it was. Much better than a smith J frame.

The trend in the gun industry to make the smallest, lightest, most powerful handgun is counterintuitive to what you want in a firearm. If you are gonna carry a gun for self defense, you should be ACCURATE with it. How the hell are you supposed to be accurate with a .357 in a a whateveratanium frame, if it hurts your hand to shoot? I don't want to carry the LIGHTEST gun I can, I want to carry the gun I'm most accurate and comfortable shooting. Being able to control your firearm and put rounds on target consistently breeds confidence. Confidence brings poise. Poise brings a steady hand, clear focus, and gives you the best chance of making it out alive.

Can these lightweight handheld a-bombs be controlled and accurate? With practice, absolutely. But by whom? And why?

We know that most encounters are usually up close, making a "belly gun" out of just about whatever you are carrying, but again….I would much rather have something that I feel confident in making follow up shots. I have a S&W 442 which ISNT steel framed, and it's the lightest I would think about going.
This is true but if we're talking about pocket guns, my preference tends towards revolvers and I'm not sold on the LCR in .22LR for SD.

This exactly. I'm old enough to remember when the goal of smaller and lighter was actually reasonable. In the late 90s when the Kahr P9 came out, everyone was amazed at how shootable it was. Then the P40 came out and people realized that the line of too much power in too small a gun may have been crossed.

The PM40 is even worse. Again, its not about being able to "take" or "handle" it. Its about fast shot to shot times. My 340 PD J frame probably represents the low point of modern firearms development for shootability and the high point for the most power in the least weight. (An 11 oz .357 magnum)

Like most other things in life, selecting a carry gun (not a ccw) is a trade off. A Glock 41 is a very nice shooting gun in a very effective caliber (.45 ACP) but is too bulky to carry for most people. A PM40 is easy to carry, but a miserable gun to shoot. So each shooter needs to find a middle ground. I do fear that most shooters don't even know what middle ground to look for as posts attesting to being able to "handle" recoil indicated. I am convinced that most people who carry small guns in major calibers be better served by a slightly larger gun in a smaller caliber simply because they will shoot it that much better.

Don

Back
Top Bottom