Ruger .357 magnum LCR ouch

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I got a new Ruger LCR .357 Magnum. I just wanted to say ouch, it really hurts to fire .357 magnum, I mean like it's going to damage my hand. I am going to stick to .38 special only from now on in this thing.

If you want a carry load suggestion, try out Speer Gold dot .357 Magnum short barrel. It will not hurt nearly as much and still give you an incredible boost in velocity.

-Mike

I got a new Ruger LCR .357 Magnum. I just wanted to say ouch, it really hurts to fire .357 magnum, I mean like it's going to damage my hand. I am going to stick to .38 special only from now on in this thing.

lmao I've got the .38 LCR and that, too, is slightly rebellious. I like it alot, though.

If you want a carry load suggestion, try out Speer Gold dot .357 Magnum short barrel. It will not hurt nearly as much and still give you an incredible boost in velocity.

-Mike
THIS ^

Or try a plus p load like hornady 110grn FTX. Those are not too bad in my wife's j frame 642.

Lightweight guns are easy to carry, but difficult to shoot. While you won't care about the pain, or even feel it during a defensive gun use, the pain will prevent you from properly practicing with it. That's why I carry full-steel snubbies. My preferences are the S&W 640 or the Ruger SP101. After a little while you won't even notice the extra weight when carrying.

Lightweight guns are easy to carry, but difficult to shoot. While you won't care about the pain, or even feel it during a defensive gun use, the pain will prevent you from properly practicing with it. That's why I carry full-steel snubbies. My preferences are the S&W 640 or the Ruger SP101. After a little while you won't even notice the extra weight when carrying.

This has some merit. My "small" carry piece is a Colt Agent in .38 Special, (my EDC is a Reminton 1911A1), and I love the thing. It digests some pretty hot loads as well, and I'm accurate with it.

It was a surprise, because I have shot a Ruger .44 Magnum (7" barrel) in the past, and that really wasn't so bad. But I think the whole Ruger Blackhawk kind of rotates up when you shoot it, with it's smooth wooden grips, taking the snap out of the recoil somewhat. But the little LCR with the sticky rubber grips just has a shock transmitted directly with nothing to take it up except your
hand.

It was a surprise, because I have shot a Ruger .44 Magnum (7" barrel) in the past, and that really wasn't so bad. But I think the whole Ruger Blackhawk kind of rotates up when you shoot it, with it's smooth wooden grips, taking the snap out of the recoil somewhat. But the little LCR with the sticky rubber grips just has a shock transmitted directly with nothing to take it up except your
hand.

I have a GP100 4" & a Redhawk 44 7.5", I have fired some pretty snappy 357 and some pretty snappy 44 mag, the 357 has what I will call a belt in the hand when you fire it with HP loads, the 44 kinda pushes and doesn't have the same feeling.

The 357 you feel in your hands and the 44 you feel more in the arms and body, except that little pinch spot right at the top of the grip were the web from thumb to finger is, that can sting a bit. IMHO

I have a rubber grip on my 357 and wood on the 44.

I'm only shooting 38 special out of this thing now, as lightly loaded as I can find.

I picked one up not too long ago, I was looking for an LCR .38, but found the .357 for the same price so I grabbed it. Shooting .357 is exciting to but definitely rough on the hand, .38 +p is a noticeable difference but I don't find it painful, and I find .38 spl to be enjoyable to shoot out of this thing. I bought it without ever having shot one and was concerned it was not going to be good, but I really like it.

I can't imagine how that thing feels with .357. One of the worst feeling guns I've ever shot is my uncle's snub nose .38 (no idea what it was). That sumbitch stung! I can't imagine how it would feel with .357. That little .38 was more uncomfortable than the .500 Magnum I shot. At least with the Magnum it was just a ton of muzzle flip, but the .38 made my palm sting.

Yeah I was going to buy the LCR 357 But I think I'm going to end up buying the SP101 instead so it's a little more enjoyable to shoot.

I have a .38 LCR and not only does it hurt, I can't hit a thing with it. I'm determined to reign it in though so I'll keep practicing.

Physics is a bitch, but comfort is paramount for a shooter's confidence. Muscles have no memory when something hurts.

My EDC is a snub 38 with +P. Took a while to get comfortable with it, but it was loads of fun trying.

Last edited:
Was looking for one of these, not really so much now.

Yeah I was going to buy the LCR 357 But I think I'm going to end up buying the SP101 instead so it's a little more enjoyable to shoot.

If you were looking at the 357 LCR for something easy/fun to shoot, you better get yo head checked mate.

My first gun was a model 66 with a 2.5 " barrel. That gun was fun with .357's, I miss her and would get another.

Even with the heavier SP101, I get a bloody knuckle on my middle finger from the trigger guard. Then I switch to my 686 - much more enjoyable to shoot. [smile]

Maybe you should give it to your husband ;-}

Even with the heavier SP101, I get a bloody knuckle on my middle finger from the trigger guard. Then I switch to my 686 - much more enjoyable to shoot. [smile]

Yeah I should probably shoot one before I buy it. I have the 6" GP100 and love that gun but I feel like I should have a smaller revolver to try out for CC.

I have the LCR in 38 special and even with +p I don't mind shooting it at all. I'm surprisingly accurate with it too, if I focus. In .357 I'm sure it's stout.

don't know how i missed this thread the first time around, but i carry the lcr .38---as a relative newbie when i first bought it, yeah it felt like a fircracker went off in my hand the first time i tried it at the range

the difference between .38 & .38 +p is negligible and i can't imagine .357 would be a huge jump

after a couple of years shooting it i wish i spent the extra cash for the .357---right or left one handed---no big deal---keep shooting it you'll learn to love it (or as someone posted earlier i'll trade my .38 straight-up---heck i'll even toss in some .38 hollows)

Back
Top Bottom