Ruger .357 magnum LCR ouch

I shoot SJHP and FMJ through my GP-100. They fire great. I had a friend shoot aluminum rounds through my GP-100 (I b!tched about it, for sure!) - but new fiber-optic sights certainly help- a LOT! :)

Even big metal guns can hurt. I had a Beretta 96 which is a 92FS in .40S&W and had to sell it because it hurt my trigger finger. I have RA so my hands hurt to begin with. Must be something in the design that causes the force to travel through the trigger.

Love my LCR 38+, but regret not getting the 357 frame.

sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 / 4G LTE & Tapatalk 2

Im feeling the same way now. I got a good deal on a used LCR 38 and finally got a chance to shoot it last night. I thought that being so light it would have some snap to it, but it was much tamer than I expected. now im wishing I had the 357, but no big deal it was really more of an impulse buy because of the right price

If it's any consolation, I'm planning on shooting only .38 through this revolver in the future.

Im feeling the same way now. I got a good deal on a used LCR 38 and finally got a chance to shoot it last night. I thought that being so light it would have some snap to it, but it was much tamer than I expected. now im wishing I had the 357, but no big deal it was really more of an impulse buy because of the right price

I have a .38 LCR and not only does it hurt, I can't hit a thing with it. I'm determined to reign it in though so I'll keep practicing.

Copy that. I can't hit a barn door with snubbies. LCR has a very good trigger, but I still sucked. Not to bring up the whole .45 thing, but I gave up on the LCR-357 and now carry a P220C SAS. Tight groups no problema now.

Copy that. I can't hit a barn door with snubbies. LCR has a very good trigger, but I still sucked. Not to bring up the whole .45 thing, but I gave up on the LCR-357 and now carry a P220C SAS. Tight groups no problema now.

Snub nosed revolvers are the hardest carry guns I know of to shoot well.

The irony is that most of them have very very good mechanical accuracy. Its the human interface that is the problem.

Long heavy trigger.
short round grip
short sight radius

All contribute to make things difficult. All it takes is practice. And more practice.

Don

Snub nosed revolvers are the hardest carry guns I know of to shoot well.

The irony is that most of them have very very good mechanical accuracy. Its the human interface that is the problem.

Long heavy trigger.
short round grip
short sight radius

All contribute to make things difficult. All it takes is practice. And more practice.

Don

Yup. I like to practice on the plate rack @ the Harvard 25yds range. If I could hit (not knock down) 3 or 4 per cylinder I'm reasonably pleased.

I gotta say I was pretty happy with my results for not having much experience with a snubby, definitely not tight groups but I was putting 4-5 on paper at about 20'-25'(whatever the min dist. line is at taunton). a little more practice and this will definitely get some carry time I cant get over how light it is, makes my shield feel like a brick.

I've never understood the ultralight and full-powered defensive pistol. I love .357 mag. Probably my favorite handgun round. I don't want it in anything other than a steel frame above 25 oz, preferably closer to 30. I had to actually look up the weight for the LCR. holycrap thats ridiculous. If you need a gun that light, stick with a .32 ACP at most. I'm not saying you can't be effective with an ultralight pistol in a big cartridge.You do need to be well trained and practiced, much more than most of us can afford in both money and time.

Never understood the love for magnum loads with a 2" barrel, what do you get

30-50 FPS increase? That is marginal at best
Lots of smoke, flame and recoil
ouchies

tell again why you shoot a magnum through a snubbie barrel?

I own a 340 pd.

Its lighter than the .38 version of the LCR, but is chambered in .357 magnum. It was 10.5 oz before I put the crimson trace lasergrips on it. Now its 12 oz.

I won it in a raffle at an IDPA match. If it were my money, I'd have gotten the .38 special version, the 342.

For what its worth, I found the LCR's trigger to be much easier to shoot well than the J frame's trigger.
The LCR feels like a J frame thats had $250 worth of trigger work.

ouchies

This. I was looking to get a S&W 640 or a LCR but when I looked at the ballistics from such a short barrel, it wasn't that much faster/energetic than a 9mm +p. And at least with the 9mm you have higher capacity than a 5 shot snubby. But I agree reliability with a revolver is great compared to a semi auto. Although I'd be cautious of bullet jump in those light weight revolvers. Anyway, not looking to start a caliber/capacity war just my $0.02.

My favorite snubby. I loved mine. Smoothest trigger and accurate.
I got a new Ruger LCR .357 Magnum. I just wanted to say ouch, it really hurts to fire .357 magnum, I mean like it's going to damage my hand. I am going to stick to .38 special only from now on in this thing.

When I first got my 340 I loaded it with 5 rounds of .357.

My shot to shot recovery time was so long and the chance for developing a flinch was so great, have used .38 spcl ever since.

Every once in a while I'll shoot a cylinder full for laughs.

I'll also use it to demonstrate how weight and barrel length affects recoil in my NRA Basic Pistol class. I'll shoot my 6" 686 and then load 1 round into the 340 and demonstrate the 340. The difference is very very dramatic.

Don

p.s. as a point of refrence. The .357 LCR weighs 17 oz. The .357 J frame 340 weighs 10.5 oz.

ouchies

Found this on the web.

If the gun recoils more (more energy pushing backwards) then there is also more energy pushing forward. I know this is not linear and felt recoil is a different animal but my Italian oversimplification has worked ok so far.

ruger_klcr_ammo_audit.jpg

Using 130gr ammo instead of 158gr helped me get better with the LCR, as well as grip: against all advice, I shoot it with my support thumb forward against the frame - it's not close enough to the front of the cylinder to be a problem (at least so far, knock on wood).

I don't think the disadvantage of a magnum in a short barrel is a matter of 50 fps or so. theres no question the magnums are hitting a lot hard than .38s in the same snub, but the recoil and muzzle flash mitigate any gains in supposed stopping power. Funny, nobody seems to complain about this with Large snub .357s like N-frames or pythons, which also leads me to believe its a matter of weight.

I don't think the disadvantage of a magnum in a short barrel is a matter of 50 fps or so. theres no question the magnums are hitting a lot hard than .38s in the same snub, but the recoil and muzzle flash mitigate any gains in supposed stopping power. Funny, nobody seems to complain about this with Large snub .357s like N-frames or pythons, which also leads me to believe its a matter of weight.

200 to 400 fps faster, and a lot more energy than even .38+P loads. Check the chart Mike posted #78

Lightweight guns are easy to carry, but difficult to shoot. While you won't care about the pain, or even feel it during a defensive gun use, the pain will prevent you from properly practicing with it. That's why I carry full-steel snubbies. My preferences are the S&W 640 or the Ruger SP101. After a little while you won't even notice the extra weight when carrying.

Yup. This. I carried a SW340PD for a while but didn't like shooting it at all. I replaced it with a S&W Model 60.

If you by ballistics101.com the difference between the speer gold dot short barrel in 38+p and 357 is
222 energy 860 ft/s
Vs
294 energy 990ft/s

If you by ballistics101.com the difference between the speer gold dot short barrel in 38+p and 357 is
222 energy 860 ft/s
Vs
294 energy 990ft/s

Doesn't really matter if you miss your target. I can't handle magnums in my snubbie, make your own informed decision.

Doesn't really matter if you miss your target. I can't handle magnums in my snubbie, make your own informed decision.

The Speer Short Barrel .357 load though really isn't a full bore .357 Magnum. It's more like 2/3rds of the way there. I carried that load in my SW640 and it ran well without creating excessive blast and recoil.

-Mike

222 energy 860 ft/s
Vs
294 energy 990ft/s

Same bullet weight? 125g or 130g?....135g, or 158g?

And your example is a substantial difference in energy (stopping power).

For the record, I use the .38+P's.

Back
Top Bottom