Ruger 10/22 owners.

Hi, I picked up a Ruger 10/22 last week, my first .22. One of the cleaning videos I watched on Youtube mentioned a jig that Brownells sells to drill a hole in the back of the receiver to allow you to use a cleaning rod from the breech side. I just used my .22 bore snake. I would like to be able to finish up with clean patches, is feeding the rod from the other end REALLY that bad for the rifle? I'm not going to pay $50.00 for a drilling jig that Im only going to use once. I always go from the breech side with my pistols and shotgun because direction of bullet travel is was I was taught. Any info? Thanks in advance.

Hell to the no. Do not buy a jig to drill a hole into the receiver of your new 10/22. What the actual fck? When I do clean my 10/22 outside of spraying down the action with some Ballistol I use a boresnake as normal. Buy a Volqs automatic bolt release. Lock the bolt back, drop in snake. If you want to use patches get an Otis cleaning snake and throw some .22 patches on the end.

Hell to the no. Do not buy a jig to drill a hole into the receiver of your new 10/22. What the actual fck? When I do clean my 10/22 outside of spraying down the action with some Ballistol I use a boresnake as normal. Buy a Volqs automatic bolt release. Lock the bolt back, drop in snake. If you want to use patches get an Otis cleaning snake and throw some .22 patches on the end.

This. Taking a drill to a receiver is never a good idea. Unless your milling out an 80% lower [thumbsup]

Put rod into muzzle end w/out brush and when rod is seen in receiver, screw brush onto rod and pull towards muzzle. Repeat procedure till clean. Finish up with bore snake. Don't go drilling your 10/22. Good luck

I run a bore snake through a few times, then a damp patch then a dry patch. that's all I do until its time to really clean it. breaking a 10/22 down to bare nuts is pretty easy.

Get a couple feet of string trimmer string, melt one end into a blob just smaller than 22, poke other end through a patch. Slide down to blob, pull through. Works best with cloth patches, those fiber ones pull off more often.

The theory is that cleaning from the muzzle has a higher risk of the rod damaging the crown, especially in smaller caliber barrels. Barrels can be recrowned and there are alternatives to plain steel rods, as well. You could get a second bore snake for the last pass, too. I've never seen actual testing of the effects of muzzle cleaning on accuracy, but it seems to be a widely believed concept. Or excellent advertising.

What's wrong with pushing a brush in from the muzzle end? I have been cleaning all of my rifles that way for a long time. I have never seen anything wrong with it.

Edit: just a minute too late. I never knew that.

I ran my 10/22 barrel through the band saw longitudinally so I can actually see what I'm cleaning and I can really detail clean the rifling in the center. Once clean a few cable ties hold it together for another fun day at the range.

If you must clean from breach to muzzle just use a pull through type of cleaning system like a Bore-snake, Otis or similar.

I just use bore snakes most of the time.
If you're committed to cleaning with a rod from the breach, learn to take the barrel off and clean it that way.

Hi, I picked up a Ruger 10/22 last week, my first .22. One of the cleaning videos I watched on Youtube mentioned a jig that Brownells sells to drill a hole in the back of the receiver to allow you to use a cleaning rod from the breech side. I just used my .22 bore snake. I would like to be able to finish up with clean patches, is feeding the rod from the other end REALLY that bad for the rifle? I'm not going to pay $50.00 for a drilling jig that Im only going to use once. I always go from the breech side with my pistols and shotgun because direction of bullet travel is was I was taught. Any info? Thanks in advance.

Why the actual **** would you do that???

I built a custom 10/22 with Volquartzen barrel ~20 years ago. Doesn't need to be cleaned that often, and when I do clean it I have used a bore snake since they hit the market. Just wash the bore snake periodically. Works for me- with match ammo still shoots .25 MOA at 50 yards.

Yup, bore snake is all you need. I dont even do that very often. When the action starts to look real crappy I wash it out with some brake cleaner or Remington action cleaner.
I have probably spent more time cleaning the magazines than the actual gun. the mags get reall crappy. I just run them through teh ultrasonic and dry an lightly lube them.
rather than buying a rig to drill holes, buy a magazine loader, you will appreciate it a lot more, trust me.

I use nylon jags, loops, and brushes, and a (expensive) carbon fiber rod if I need to clean from the muzzle. I usually just use a boresnake, about once every 5 years. Or is it 10?

Just buy the take down 10/22 the best idea Ruger ever came out with.

Get a couple feet of string trimmer string, melt one end into a blob just smaller than 22, poke other end through a patch. Slide down to blob, pull through. Works best with cloth patches, those fiber ones pull off more often.

The theory is that cleaning from the muzzle has a higher risk of the rod damaging the crown, especially in smaller caliber barrels. Barrels can be recrowned and there are alternatives to plain steel rods, as well. You could get a second bore snake for the last pass, too. I've never seen actual testing of the effects of muzzle cleaning on accuracy, but it seems to be a widely believed concept. Or excellent advertising.

I don't know how to provide a,link or copy of the article but the Garand Collectors Association did a test cleaning from the muzzle with USGI steel sectioned cleaning rod to see just how much wear and damage could be down by improper use of the cleaning rod.....it was pretty shocking to see how little damage they did.....
I'm not sure why cleaning a 22lr barrel is all that important. The bore doesn't get to dirty, the lube from the bullets does a good job of coating the barrel.

I use the weedwacker string method. I don't really clean my 22s bore I run a dry patch then a oil patch as I know it's several weeks before the 22s get out again so having a,little oil in there gives me peace of mind for rust protection.

I am really enjoying this thread.
Lots of opinions and points of view. However, No matter what I am cleaning, never push a brush down the muzzle, it's just not good practice. Have I ever done it, yes, carefully, yes? Will it kill it probably not. The main issue is when people get too comfortable, and eventually sloppy when sending a rod down the pipe. Especially a segmented rod, a cheap segmented rod, where the joints do not cleanly fit flush. Most people are not careful and tend to be more rough than necessary.

Last edited:
I have a stainless barrel on mine. I clean and oil it once a year even though it looks clean. I wouldn't drill any holes in it.

I am really enjoying this thread.
Lots of opinions and points of view. However, No matter what I am cleaning, never push a brush down the muzzle, it's just not good practice. Have I ever done it, yes, carefully, yes? Will it kill it probably not. The main issue is when people get too comfortable, and eventually sloppy when sending a rod down the pipe. Especially a segmented rod, a cheap segmented rod, where the joints do not cleanly fit flush. Most people are not careful and tend to be more rough than necessary.

Yes, and if you must do it, beware of the very end of the rod, where the tips screw in.

You would think by now after 50 years ruger and the after market receiver manufactures would make a "cleaning" hole by now as standard issue? If it was needed.

I find it hard with today's soft metal cleaning rods your going to damage your bore enough to see a noticeable difference down range?

One of my early experiences of going to a gun Smith was with my dad.
The sign on the desk said
I repair more clean guns than dirty ones. I took this more problems can come up cleaning your rifle than actually using it.
My marlin model 60s and 10/22s don't get "cleaned" until they jam often......that's 1500 plus rounds or more.

Last edited:
Several things and then I'll sit down in my easy chair to shake my head.

What is easier- pushing a string or pulling a string? In other words, without jag or brush or mop or whatever, slide the cleaning rod down the barrel, attach jag or brush or mop or whatever in the receiver. Pull it out. Very little, if any, rod contact with rifling. Repeat until you are happy with condition of bore.

OR take the stock off, unscrew the screws holding the V-block and barrel together. You now have the barrel in your hand. Clean from whichever end you'd like.

OR, and this would be my personal choice, don't clean the barrel at all.

Best advice I ever heard was that you CAN over clean your guns. You can actually cause pre-mature wear if you are overzealous about keeping everything sparkly clean. Drilling a hole to make cleaning easier definitely falls within this camp. With a 10/22, bore snake with some patches is perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom