Ruger 10/22 firing problem today

Prepper

NES Member
This is a new one for me, although still being mostly a beginner with guns, most things that happen to me are new.

Today I had 4 times that the firing pin struck the edge of the case but then nothing happened. I extracted the cartridge and I could see the dent (although I think it looked less dented than it normally does), but it didn't ignite the primer.

These 4 times started happening after I had put over 100 through without any problem. The 4 nonfires all happened in the last 20 rounds that I went through. I've never had a problem before like this on any other trip (had occasional jam before but never with this ammo). I was using this same ammo today with the Mark III without problem. The ammo I am using is Federal high velocity.

Any ideas? Is something wrong with my gun, or is it possible to get a bad batch of ammo like this?

I had similar issues with my 10/22. I think it was the magazine, because we went through two magazines without a problem, then one of the magazines had 'duds' almost every third shot. We finished the magazine then just used the other two without a problem. Of course I forgot tape to mark it.

/Jason

Why would the magazine matter? At the time the firing pin strikes, the cartridge has already been pulled from the magazine and is sitting in the chamber waiting to be fired.

I'll try the more expensive CCI Standard Velocity ammo the next time I go to see if that makes any difference. That's what I had been using before I bought the Federal ammo. Another thing with this Federal ammo I noticed is that the sound it makes is inconsistent. Most shots make a nice loud "snap". But, a good number of them (10%?) make a dull "poof" type of sound instead. The bullet still exits the chamber, but it sounds like at a much slower speed.

It's possible that you have a bad box. Is it the Wally World 550rnd box? I shoot those thru my 10/22, and S&W 22S without a problem. So it may be a bad box, or one your 10/22 doesn't like.

Jr

Nope not Wally World (I never bought ammo there before, and my local store doesn't sell gun supplies).

Prepper, you say that you're getting light strikes? To confirm this, next time you're out with the 10/22 and compare it with the other, fired, shells.

IF you are getting light strikes, you could have the same problem that I just had... and fixed. The problem behind my light strikes was that about 15-20K rounds through the gun over the last 26 years had "hammered" the firing pin down. (OK, actually, the hammer hitting the pin fifteen or twenty thousand times did that...) I purchased a new one from Ruger (for all of about $4.00) and checked the length of both. Seems like mine was about 6/1000ths of an inch smaller... and the new firing pin has been flawless so far, with much deeper strikes.

Take your 10/22 down, and pull the bolt from the receiver. The firing pin is captive IN the bolt, held in by a roll pin going transversely through the body of the bolt. Put the bolt over an anvil with a hole in it (you could use a piece of wood with a hole drilled in it to allow the pin to fall into if you don't have anything else - I fix watches and clocks for a hobby so I had the correct tools) and drive the pin out with a drift punch. Be careful as there IS a spring in the bolt that runs the firing pin back.

Check the back end of the pin and see if it's peened over; that could be your problem. I understand from the folks on www.rimfirecentral.com that they file the hole in the firing pin oval to allow the pin more travel; I found it easier to just order a new one.

Anyway, good luck and feel free to PM me if you want.

It may be the firing pin, but I've only put a few thousand rounds through so far (not sure exactly, I never kept track). I've accidentally dry fired it a few times but not much and not recently; could that have any effect on how hard it hits?

No; the firing pin is designed so that it hits the bolt body and NOT the chamber when you dry-fire. Was the rifle purchased used, by any chance?

Just a thought... I suppose it could be the hammer spring, too. I replaced mine just out of paranoia as long as I was getting parts from Ruger. Also very cheap.

Oh, one other thing... you could also pull the bolt and just give it a THOROUGH cleaning; that may help with your problem. I like GunScrubber for things like that; it really blasts away the crud.

No, it was new. I'll see what I can do about giving it a thorough cleaning too. I've only taken it apart as much as described in the instruction manual (which isn't very much).

www.rimfirecentral.com has a lot of good info on taking down the 10/22. At a minimum you should pull the bolt and spray it GOOD with GunScrubber, and spray the inside of the receiver, too.

Good point, Thunderbolt - thanks for pointing it out. I didn't think of it as my normal routine has the bolt being pulled and cleaned.

It's working fine now. I cleaned it good, this time including removing the bolt. (The firing "pin" didn't have any crud on it as suggested). I hadn't removed the bolt in previous cleanings. 150 rounds today, no glitches (other than my inaccuracy with it).

I actually disassembled it a little too far... the pin that goes through the magazine release button fell out, then so did that piston thingy that presses against the mag, then the bolt lock thing had moved. Some research plus an hour of my time, and I had it back together.

That's good to hear Prepper, you should be set for another brick or two..LOL.

You may want to look into a bolt buffer for the 10/22, if anything, it makes removing the bolt easier because it takes place of the pin in the rear of the receiver. You would be able to just push out the bolt buffer instead of pounding out that pin.

Just a warning Prepper that the 10/22's can become very addicting. I've got about $1K invested in mine, a rifle that I paid $160 for..LOL

Thunderbolt

Glad to hear it's working right now Prepper.

I agree with Thunderbolt. It's very addicting! I bought my 10/22, and never fired a round thru its stock barrel or with the original stock. These little guys rock for upgrades, and plinking!

Jr

I already ordered a bolt buffer today as part of another order (extended mag release, hammer and something to let me release the bolt with one hand). Although, the original came out just fine (fell out on its own actually).

Why did you replace the stock and barrel though (and with what)?

I already ordered a bolt buffer today as part of another order (extended mag release, hammer and something to let me release the bolt with one hand). Although, the original came out just fine (fell out on its own actually).

Why did you replace the stock and barrel though (and with what)?

You'll like the extended mag release. I also put on an extended bolt release, and a new extractor (I was getting stove pipes with all ammo).

I went with a Butler Creek 20" Fluted .920 barrel for better accuracy at 100 yards. The normal stock will not fit the barrel properly, so I went with a Hogue stock.

Jr

Back
Top Bottom