• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RRA 2 stage trigger

wonder how chrome is with heat? Can't be good I would think

Actually, it is very good with heat resistance and chromite and chromium oxide are actually used as components in refractory materials used in blast furnaces and kilns. The melting point is in the neighborhood of 3500 degrees Fahrenheit. And if you're thinking about the "blueing" of an exhaust pipe on a motorcycle for instance, that's polished chrome plate the BCG is an unpolished lustrous-look. And, don't take this to the bank, but I remember reading that the "heat" patina of chrome actually seals the underlying material with a thin layer of oxidation that protects the underlying material from the ravages of oxygen and such, and provides a very slick, anti-fricative surface in-the-process. So, actually Chromium as an element has some outstanding heat resistivity qualities.

Actually, it is very good with heat resistance and chromite and chromium oxide are actually used as components in refractory materials used in blast furnaces and kilns. The melting point is in the neighborhood of 3500 degrees Fahrenheit. And if you're thinking about the "blueing" of an exhaust pipe on a motorcycle for instance, that's polished chrome plate the BCG is an unpolished lustrous-look. And, don't take this to the bank, but I remember reading that the "heat" patina of chrome actually seals the underlying material with a thin layer of oxidation that protects the underlying material from the ravages of oxygen and such, and provides a very slick, anti-fricative surface in-the-process. So, actually Chromium as an element has some outstanding heat resistivity qualities.
sorry I meant how would it be being pretty Hot , sitting in your receiver and Not cooling as quick.

You guys, that chrome colored stuff is old and busted, TiN is the new hotness:

uZ6KFt9.jpg

wonder how chrome is with heat? Can't be good I would think

sorry I meant how would it be being pretty Hot , sitting in your receiver and Not cooling as quick.

Hmmm ...I don't know the relative cooling/radiation properties versus other ferrous-based BCGs. That info is readily available with a little digging here online though. I do know that chromium oxide is used to coat heating elements in things like infrared heating elements, so its rate of expansion (minimal) and its ability to radiate (therefore shed) heat must be decent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom