• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ron Paul rips NRA plan

Retiring Republican Rep. Ron Paul pushed back Monday against the National Rifle Association's call for installing armed officers in every school, warning that the move could create a TSA-style maze of checkpoints and surveillance cameras -- with limited effect.

"School shootings, no matter how horrific, do not justify creating an Orwellian surveillance state in America," Paul said in a written statement.

The congressman, among the most libertarian-leaning on the Hill, is the first Republican in Congress to forcefully oppose the NRA's proposal. NRA head Wayne LaPierre on Friday urged federal funding to overhaul America's school security, a plan that would include posting a guard in every school.

LaPierre argued that, in the wake of the Connecticut mass murders, it only makes sense to protect students the same way the country protects banks and elected leaders -- with armed security.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," he said.

But Paul -- who said he agrees that "more guns equals less crime" and "private gun ownership prevents many shootings" -- nevertheless chided the NRA for its plan, describing it as a government solution that could infringe on liberty.

"Do we really want to live in a world of police checkpoints, surveillance cameras, metal detectors, X-ray scanners and warrantless physical searches? We see this culture in our airports: witness the shabby spectacle of once proud, happy Americans shuffling through long lines while uniformed TSA agents bark orders. This is the world of government provided 'security,' a world far too many Americans now seem to accept or even endorse," Paul said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/24/ron-paul-rips-nra-plan-for-officers-in-every-school/

RP has legitimate points. However nothing like criticizing a plan without putting forth a solution of your own. [thinking]

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/24/ron-paul-rips-nra-plan-for-officers-in-every-school/

RP has legitimate points. However nothing like criticizing a plan without putting forth a solution of your own. [thinking]

well, I guess that his plan doesn't include doing anything drastic that would prevent this for sure, because we can never be sure. Bad things will happen, it's life. I agree with him. Beyond letting teachers conceal carry and eliminating "will not shoot back" zones, this is going to be another TSA, totally useless, expensive and with false sense of security.

A few years back there was a well known person who wanted to put armed cops/guards in America's schools and the DemocRATS thought it was a great idea. What was this person's name? President Bill Clinton. Does anyone remember this?

They just want more statist controls. Indoctrinate the youth to accept complete police presence in their life. F the tNRA and the statist policies the push. Allow teachers and staff to carry if they want. Dont force a gustapo in our schools. Sacrificing liberty for false security sucks.

Just thinking about this, if .gov has it's way, we have another huge .gov agency and you need to drop the kids off to school 2 hours before it starts so they can be molested and irradiated before heading into classroom. **** that!

Just thinking about this, if .gov has it's way, we have another huge .gov agency and you need to drop the kids off to school 2 hours before it starts so they can be molested and irradiated before heading into classroom. **** that!

This is what they want. Conditioning.

Yet another example of what a bumbling, old fool he is. His one true skill is spinning up a bunch of angry voters searching for a Messiah. The sooner this fool disappears from the public zeitgeist, the better.

I agree with RP! We don't need irrational over the edge solutions and we certainly don't need a bigger goverment union police force standing guard over children. Eliminate the Gun Free Zone and let those that want to carry do so freely. A criminal or a nut will do so regardless![thinking]

Yet another example of what a bumbling, old fool he is. His one true skill is spinning up a bunch of angry voters searching for a Messiah. The sooner this fool disappears from the public zeitgeist, the better.

I have yet to see any politician make more sense and be more consistent than Ron Paul. I'm not searching for a Messiah either.

You must not have read the whole article:

He continued: "I don't agree that conservatives and libertarians should view government legislation, especially at the federal level, as the solution to violence. Real change can happen only when we commit ourselves to rebuilding civil society in America, meaning a society based on family, religion, civic and social institutions, and peaceful cooperation through markets."

Ron Paul would most likely want people to exercise the 2nd amendment and not depend on others to provide their security.

I was listening to Wayne LaPierre as he delivered his address. I was nodding my head in agreement when he said "We can't have a national one size fits all solution". I then /facepalmed when, in the next breath, he spouted out his own one size fits all solution.

Having a police officer, or hired guard or civilian volunteer with a weapon does not equal useless TSA rape and security theater.

In no where in the NRA's speech (Who I generally do not support) did they say that they want a TSA style search bullshit setup at school. The NRA more or less said they want someone in the area who can throw bullets back at idiots who wish to do harm.

In the grand scheme of numbers, school shootings are not statistically significant, same with "terrorism" here in the US. But, the school should be allowed to legally be able to post people on its grounds who carry firearms if it decides to.

I'm not sure what part of the NRA's response that Ron Paul is responding to. I dispise the TSA, and I didnt get the security theatre vibe out of the initial NRA press conference.

Last edited:
You must not have read the whole article:

He continued: "I don't agree that conservatives and libertarians should view government legislation, especially at the federal level, as the solution to violence. Real change can happen only when we commit ourselves to rebuilding civil society in America, meaning a society based on family, religion, civic and social institutions, and peaceful cooperation through markets."

Statement, not a tangible plan.

That might actually turn out to be a good thing in the long run. The public schools are already facing serious pressure - because in general , face it: they just plain suck.

Homeschooling and magnet schools and private schools are all gaining ground against public schools.

Things like this would probably accelerate that massively. The public school systems would essentially become day jails where you send your kids to be abused for 8 hours. Plus it would drive their costs up even more - so people would start looking for other alternatives.

Face it - it would take a long time to kill off 26 homeschoolers - first you have to find them - then you'd have to drive around to 26 houses to get them all.

Public schools have been pushing stupid crap into kids heads for decades - they are one of the things that underpins the whole liberal establishment in this country - the sooner they die off the better we will all be.

Therefore I support public school child abuse.

Statement, not a tangible plan.

So fixing society is not a tangible plan? I guess just continuing our path down the shit pipe is a tangible plan?

Liberals always say " we must do something" .

Just about every time they do something - they **** it up - and make things worse.

You don't need to do something - you need to do the RIGHT THING.

Saying you don't want to hear about what the real solution is - is basically admitting you don't want to see the problem get truly fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

What happens when the next wacko takes out the guard first?

We'll need two.

Having a police officer, or hired guard or civilian volunteer with a weapon does not equal useless TSA rape and security theater.

In no where in the NRA's speech (Who I generally do not support) did they say that they want a TSA style search bullshit setup at school. The NRA more or less said they want someone in the area who can throw bullets back at idiots who wish to do harm.

In the grand scheme of numbers, school shootings are not statistically significant, same with "terrorism" here in the US. But, the school should be allowed to legally be able to post people on its grounds who carry firearms if it decides to.

I'm not sure what part of the NRA's response that Ron Paul is responding to. I dispise the TSA, and I didnt get the security theatre vibe out of the initial NRA press conference.

I didn't get that either from the NRA speech however I think RP could have articulated that maybe he was thinking long term? Volunteer police/security/parents and anyone else could ultimately end up in 15 years turning into the TSA. No one can predict the future but I suspect any kind of national mandate for school security will turn into the TSA-4-Kids.

I didn't get that either from the NRA speech however I think RP could have articulated that maybe he was thinking long term? Volunteer police/security/parents and anyone else could ultimately end up in 15 years turning into the TSA. No one can predict the future but I suspect any kind of national mandate for school security will turn into the TSA-4-Kids.

Ron Paul couldn't articulate himself out of a wet paper bag. That's his problem.

Back
Top Bottom