• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ROMNEY RESOLVES LONG-STANDING CONFLICT IN STATE’S FIREARM LA

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

ROMNEY RESOLVES LONG-STANDING CONFLICT IN STATE’S FIREARM LAW

Signs legislation to make common-sense clarification for law-abiding gun owners

Governor Mitt Romney today signed legislation aimed at providing one clear definition of a loaded shotgun or rifle for the state’s hunting enthusiasts. For years, two competing definitions have existed on the books, leaving law abiding gun owners wondering when and how they can enter or cross a public way with their firearms.

“Today, we are simplifying the gun laws in Massachusetts,” Romney said. “With this legislation, our hunters will know precisely what is expected of them.”

By law, no person is permitted to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun on a public way, so hunters must unload their firearms if they encounter a roadway or other public thoroughfare while hunting.

Prior to today, a “loaded” shotgun or rifle was defined differently in two chapters of the Massachusetts General Laws. Chapter 131 said that a shotgun or rifle with its priming device in place was “loaded,” so simply removing the device prior to crossing a public way rendered firearms unloaded, inoperable and legal. Chapter 269 classified a “loaded” gun as one with “a shell or cartridge in either the magazine or chamber thereof, and in the case of a muzzle loading shotgun or rifle, containing powder in the flash pan or in the bore or chamber or containing a percussion cap and shot or ball.” Under this definition, lawful gun owners have had to remove the firearm’s priming device and clean out the powder or ball in the rifle’s barrel to cross a public way.

The law signed today harmonizes these two laws by eliminating the requirement in Chapter 269 that a hunter remove the powder or ball from the barrel of the rifle. Hunters now no longer face the lengthy, complex and unnecessary task of cleaning the barrel every time they encounter a public way, nor will they unknowingly violate the law by only removing a gun’s priming device.

“It is important that the gun statute remains consistent in our law books,” said Senator Stephen Brewer. “I filed this legislation to ensure that the definitions are correct and I am glad to see my bill being signed into law.”

“I applaud the effort of everyone involved to secure this long-overdue and common-sense fix to the statute,” said Representative George N. Peterson, Jr. “It is encouraging to see some positive action taken on behalf of the sportsmen and women of the Commonwealth.”

“On behalf of the lawful gun owners of the Commonwealth, I would like to thank Governor Romney and all who took part in the passage of this legislation. We have taken another important step in reforming the 1998 gun laws,” said Jim Wallace, Executive Director of the Gun Owner’s Action League. “This new law addresses a conflict that had previously caused great concern in those who use traditional muzzle loading rifles and shotguns. Now they confidently know what is expected of them and can enjoy their heritage without the fear of being prosecuted for violating a poorly written law.”

Ok cool... But what does that exactly translate for regular shotguns? Can the magazine be loaded with the chamber clear?

Adam

CAUTION:

Ch. 180 of the Acts of 1998 make it a Felony to carry an UNCASED long arm on a public way. Nothing I see here changes that!

Are Primitive weapons considered as "guns" under the Ch. 180 restriction? I don't know.

The change in the law AFAIK ONLY changed the definition of "Loaded" regarding primitive weapons, nothing else that I'm aware of.

LenS said:
CAUTION:

Ch. 180 of the Acts of 1998 make it a Felony to carry an UNCASED long arm on a public way. Nothing I see here changes that!

Are Primitive weapons considered as "guns" under the Ch. 180 restriction? I don't know.

The change in the law AFAIK ONLY changed the definition of "Loaded" regarding primitive weapons, nothing else that I'm aware of.

So what you are saying is that if a hunter is out in a large area and wants to cross a road, he better have a GUN CASE with him while hunting? He can't just cross the road? Heck, in this case, unloading seems a pain, but not as great of an inconvenience as needing a case!

IIRC, a gun sock will do for a "case". I was told that it would be a good idea to get one to keep with me while hunting.

Ross is right, that is what Chief Ron Glidden preaches in his seminars.

It's a dumb law, but if you ever met/saw the person who wrote it, you'd understand why it was written that way! [roll] :?

Can't we get the people who fixed the wording in the muzzleloader law to fix this? I bet there are a lot of other confusing laws which could be greatly simplified without really going much in either pro or anti direction. It is a give and take. Time for our side to stop giving and start taking a little.

Back
Top Bottom