Ring wear mark on j frame cylinder

The mechanism on the bottom is wearing the finish off and leaving a ring around the cylinder.... you guy shave this issue? Seems pretty crumby to have a black gun with a silver ring around the barrel.... Probably woulda gotten the stainless if i saw this coming...

IMG_4294.jpg

yea but at least then it would be a stainless ring on stainless..... that would be better... so i guess this is normal.... uggghh..... live and learn......

It's called a turn line, and all revolvers do it.

It's from the catch, at the bottom of the frame, above the trigger. There is no way to not get that line. Unless you buy a revolver, leave it in the box, and never shoot it.

This is why you will often see high end collectible revolvers (for example, engraved guns or mint condition Pythons) displayed with a cable tie to prevent rolling the cylinder.

yea but at least then it would be a stainless ring on stainless..... that would be better... so i guess this is normal.... uggghh..... live and learn......

I'm guessing that is a model 442. If that ring really drives you nuts, you could sell it an pick up a model 642 (same gun with a stainless cylinder/crane/barrel, and a clearcoat on the "silver" aluminum frame), but if either gun spends any respectable amount of time being carried, the finish is going to get beaten to hell anyways.

Case in point:

rear_zpsabd2712b.jpg

My 642s have seen similar finish wear from pocket carry (in a holster).

If you want a j-frame Smith that will stay pretty looking, find a stainless model.

Last edited:
It's called a turn line, and all revolvers do it.

It's from the catch, at the bottom of the frame, above the trigger. There is no way to not get that line. Unless you buy a revolver, leave it in the box, and never shoot it.

For the most part this is true, the exception being a Larocca custom job where they put a high polish on the rear 1/2" of the cylinder to hide the turn line:

falk-05.jpg

custom-revolvers-09.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a revolver without a turn line, you are not shooting it enough.

This. While there are some revolvers that are so collectable that owners never shoot them, I don't think a 442/642 fall into the category. They are made to be carried and shot. More the former than the latter, but still they are utility guns, not safe queens. Even my beautiful S&W Model 18 has a turn line, as it should.

If you want a beautiful looking gun that you want to admire but never shoot, get a Colt. They also make good paperweights I hear! [troll]

YEa i appreciate all you guys responding. I knew where the line came from but i didn't know that it was so common place. I guess it doesnt surprise me all that much that it is.. Live and learn i guess. If i got the stainless version it wouldn't be as pronounced at all.

This.

I've got a bunch of revolvers. They all have a turn line. You should see my competition 1911. The blackened slide is silver in many places due to holster wear. Worn guns are loved guns.

Amen!

And it's even better if the wear was done by you. It reminds you of how much time that gun has been on your hip or in your hand. You should see the finish wear on the Colt series 70 I've been carrying (on and off) for almost 13 years.

Not nearly as annoying as the drag mark from rotating the slide stop on a 1911..

If you use a wheel gun at all, you will get this line. As mentioned this is not a bad thing at all.

That's the one thing I haven't done yet, and am very careful not to do. Getting the idiot mark on my 1911's. ::knock on wood::

That, to me is far more annoying.. Far more than the ring on a wheel gun..

I agree. Honest wear is fine. In fact, I think its great looking. The slide of my old G34 was worn almost shiny from all the presentations it suffered out of my kydex holster.
My Baer 1911 is getting that way. It means its lovingly used. My baer has no scratches or dings. But lots of soft wear on the bluing.

Back
Top Bottom