• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Competition/Out of State Rifles?

If I wanted to come down for a rifle competition and bring my M4orgery, am I allowed - assuming that I have the Form 6NIA in order?

It has a bayonette lug, removable flash hider, collaspable stock etc.

You can come to Ohio, no questions asked and no papers required (unless it is NFA, which by definition an M4gery is not).

Federal law states that you can travel to a match in any state, from any state for an organized shooting match with any legal firearm. You must adhere to laws of all states that you enter or pass through. Such as, trigger locks and locked case and keeping the cased firearm in the trunk ect. You may not make any unnessasary stops (gas and food are nessasary). I recomend that when travling have a copy of the match bulletin with you should you get stopped for any reason.

His posting history suggests he may be Canadian.

Then it is unlikely that he owns anything resembling an AR15 or its derivatives.

However, my point still stands. Once you do the federal paperwork to cross the border, Ohio doesn't give two shits about what you bring.

Form 6NIA is the import form, so he's probably Canadian.

They actually have some shit up there that we don't, like the civilian Tavor.

Federal law states that you can travel to a match in any state

At the risk of going Scrivener on you, there are a couple of inaccuracies in your post - one of which could land someone in hot water if they believed it.

You've got it mostly right, but the one little detail - using "to" rather than "through" can mean the difference between no violation and a felony, depending on the state in which you are going to a match.

Federal law states that you may travel THROUGH any state on a continuous and uninterrputed journey provided you may legally possess the firearm in the state where the trip starts and ends. It most definitely does not allow go TO a match in any state if the firearm you are taking to the match is prohibited by law in that state.

Then it is unlikely that he owns anything resembling an AR15 or its derivatives.
Wrong again :). There are several categories of guns in Canada: Prohibited weapons; Prohibited weapons w/grandfathering; restricted weapons and other firearms. AR15s with <= 10 round mags are restricted weapons and licensed in a manner similar to handguns. The AR15 and derivatives is the most common rifle I've encountered on Canadian ranges, eh.

Last edited:
Form 6NIA is the import form, so he's probably Canadian.

They actually have some shit up there that we don't, like the civilian Tavor.

Correct, but the AR15 and its derivatives is in their Prohibited Firearms list. Check the Canadian Firearms Center website.

I agree with Rob B, I dont think the competition exemption would allow you to bring in a post ban assault weapon (to Massachusetts).

Last edited:
Correct, but the AR15 and its derivatives is in their Prohibited Firearms list. Check the Canadian Firearms Center website.

WRONG!

They are restricted, NOT prohib.

We can own barrel lengths less than 16" on AR's but those we cannot bring into the US.

Shotguns, we can own 8" barrels but they must be manufactured as such and not castrated.

Rob B. we can use 10rd pistol mags in our AR's and other rifles that take pistol mag.

Back
Top Bottom