Rich people using LEOSA via "reserve" officer scam to arm their bodyguards

This has been a common practice in CA counties for decades to allow Hollywood jerks and their entourages to carry.

Sooooo... Rich, powerful, connected people gaming the system. Water is still wet, yes?

Also, re Dr grant's post, the highlighted portion of #4 makes the "training requirement" pretty subjective...

In 18 USC § 926B(c),[10] "qualified law enforcement officer" is defined as any individual employed by a governmental agency, state or local municipality, or private agency/firm who:
  1. is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest, or apprehension under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice); This includes state and public college/university police officers.
  2. is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
  3. is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency which could result in suspension or loss of police powers;
  4. meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;
  5. is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
  6. is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.
Additionally, 18 USC § 926B requires that the individual must carry photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed that identifies the employee as a police officer or law enforcement officer of the agency.

shut up already and take my money! ... then everyone in town will be LEO and have a gun, it would be like the safest place in the world just because everyone has a badge! [laugh]
Idunno. The statistic I heard said licensed CCW carriers are less likely to commit a crime than police officers. (wish I could find the cite)
ETA: Found it. It was John Lott's research.

Idunno. The statistic I heard said licensed CCW carriers are less likely to commit a crime than police officers. (wish I could find the cite)

yes, and less likely to shoot a dog, but retired LEOs have very tangible benefits to own "special" guns and mags. I have a feeling that there is a solution out there.

Who knows how many other small departments out there are are issuing credentials to the powerful and connected.

Generally, these programs get shut down when exposed.

Ignatius Piazza (Front Sight Training) used to have LEO credentials from a CA agency until he was publicly outed, and they were then revoked. He went so far as to have the agency issue a letter that any travel he did on commercial airlines was considered "official police business", and thus he was allowed to be armed when flying.

Who knows how many other small departments out there are are issuing credentials to the powerful and connected.

Generally, these programs get shut down when exposed.

Ignatius Piazza (Front Sight Training) used to have LEO credentials from a CA agency until he was publicly outed, and they were then revoked. He went so far as to have the agency issue a letter that any travel he did on commercial airlines was considered "official police business", and thus he was allowed to be armed when flying.

Is ignatius still offering free pistols and/or training for a lifetime membership of only $18,000? [laugh]

I can't believe nobody has posted this yet: Of course, Michael Bloomberg's bodyguards wouldn't take advantage of such a program, now would they? You can bet they did.

I think in the case of Bloomberg they’re genuinely retired NYPD officers. They were his bodyguards when he was in office and followed him when he left office.
Perhaps he did this before he was mayor, though.

Back
Top Bottom