• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI Pistol Permit Qualification 8/9/23 at 1:30pm sharp in Hopkinton (FULL)

Agreed. If they want to give the same test at 10 yards and reduce the size of the target proportionally, that would make a hell of a lot more sense. But the anti-gun people who make up these damn rules, don't give a sh!t what makes sense and what doesn't (and couldn't tell the difference).

Frank
Or... maybe the same target at 7 yards? We're not certifying people to be operators, just not completely inept, kinda like drivers (at least theoretically on the 'not completely inept)', I mean New England drivers.. sheesh.)

But it is something that can be solved by practicing a little more and having a good trigger.

You don't even need ammo to start getting better.
Yep. Dry fire, a methodical approach and concentration goes a long way.

Quick question: is reloaded ammo okay to use? I have plans in the future to qualify with .45 Colt and that shit is hard to find and expensive in factory loads, but my handloads cost a lot less and shoot way better cuz I know what my revolvers like.

This is a gun club, not a range conspiring to sell you ammo. Of course reloads are acceptable.

The RI test is very basic and only proves basic competency. The NJ test, on the other hand, is much tougher and does appear to be designed as a serious obstacle.

I'll be there a bit before 1:30 setting up. The gate is scheduled to auto-open between 1:00PM and 2:00PM. Please bring your RI application page I need to sign to avoid the hassle of doing it via US Snail.

The test is 30 rounds. If you bring 60 you will pass on the first try. If you bring 30 you won't. Murphy's law.

Burrillville used to do out of state permits but their site looks like its kind of a pain in the ass. Notarized references and a letter stating why you need a full time permit. They passed 2a sanctuary laws not to long ago. Did something change?

Just checked the links to towns earlier and it looks like they are mostly using the same forms. So used to putting in all lawful purposes, I don't want to have to make up an excuse to get a permit. I do own a company in Ri so they may make me get the employment license.

Just checked the links to towns earlier and it looks like they are mostly using the same forms. So used to putting in all lawful purposes, I don't want to have to make up an excuse to get a permit. I do own a company in Ri so they may make me get the employment license.
Only an issue if you apply through the AG. The AGs position that they may, and do, still apply a "need standard" since town licensing provides a "Shall issue" option. But, there is no option to get a permit allowing open carry except through the AG.

Only an issue if you apply through the AG. The AGs position that they may, and do, still apply a "need standard" since town licensing provides a "Shall issue" option. But, there is no option to get a permit allowing open carry except through the AG.
Oh, I do not plan to apply through the Ag. I am going with Foster. It is close and I go through there a lot in my travels.
Thank you very much for doing this!

I think I am ready.

32 rounds in 2 to 3 minutes.

Using a 10" splatter target at 25 yards.

There are two at the bottom. Which I think would have been fine on an L target.

My L targets arrive tonight, but I couldn't wait.

View attachment 780760

And if I don't feel like 45acp, 32 of 9mm in 1 minute. Good enough. Shooting paper s*cks.

View attachment 780780

View attachment 780765

For grins, I just went to the range with a target I made up per the dimensions of the earlier posted pdf. 91 degrees, 63% humidity - my glasses AND my dot fogged and wouldn't stay clear for more than a second or two at a time.

G34 w/SRO, (9mm reloads, 124 grn XTreme plated over 4.0 of titegroup)
(3) strings, 10 rounds each, starting at a low ready.
8.95 seconds, 9.25 seconds, 8.86 seconds
score 251

Good enough - but next time I do this drill, I'll take a little more time; be interesting to work at it and see how close I can get to 300. Have to shoot it more IDPA-like, less USPSA-like.

Found a thread about this, seems Foster is good to go. References and notary but no letters.

Foster takes 6 months from what I'm told. I drive through Foster all the time when I travel down to the boat. It's the most convenient for me. It's that or Providence. Not sure yet.

Last edited:
I've got my Foster app all filled out.. just need the notary (too bad wifey can't do it) and the qual test (357/9mm is my largest cal handgun at this moment).

My package came back in the mail this morning. They're not accepting anything with any old forms, and I have Rob's signature on the last version, not the current one. 🤬

My package came back in the mail this morning. They're not accepting anything with any old forms, and I have Rob's signature on the last version, not the current one. 🤬
Send me the form I signed, and the new form and I'll turn it around quickly. PM me if you need my address.

Just a little tidbit on just going thru this process a few months back. I did go thru Cranston to get my permit. I did take my qualification over at American Firearms School and my instructor was a Notary, so he notarized all my paperwork for me ( I had everything printed and filled out ahead of time). I got my license in 2 weeks from time of receiving my paperwork (sent Certified Mail) till I picked it up! They print the license up on site when you go to pick it up. Was a very professional and seamless process. Hope this helps some of you on a decision on which department to go thru!

OK, after a rinse and repeat due to my form confusion, my corrected application pages went back to Foster this week and should have hit the ground on 8/30. Assuming the review times are as stated in other spots on the forum, things should time out so that RI and CT will need renewals at just about the same time in a few years.

OK, after a rinse and repeat due to my form confusion, my corrected application pages went back to Foster this week and should have hit the ground on 8/30. Assuming the review times are as stated in other spots on the forum, things should time out so that RI and CT will need renewals at just about the same time in a few years.

Same here. I should get my updated qual form from Rob tomorrow and I'm immediately sending it back to them. See what happens next.

Same here. I should get my updated qual form from Rob tomorrow and I'm immediately sending it back to them. See what happens next.
Probably more like 2-3 days. I AFter getting some print cards done, I'm going to the post office to mail those in for an NFA SBR application and will mail your letter at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom