• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI Pistol Permit Qualification 8/9/23 at 1:30pm sharp in Hopkinton (FULL)

I suck and thats all there is to it. It's embarrassing. I would fit right in with the PD.
But it is something that can be solved by practicing a little more and having a good trigger.

You don't even need ammo to start getting better.

Directions to Hopkinton Sportsmen's are on hsasports.ddns.text.

There are two gated roads - take the right one. Continue past the rifle range (50 position covered) and down to the last pistol pit past the ranges. The gate will be open from 12:45 to 1:15, if you're late its a bit of a walk but doable even with range gear.

As to multiple attempts:

1. The range will be called safe after shooters have done an initial 5-10 rounds (your choice). Shooters will then have a chance to examine their targets. If you don't like how you are hitting, the target will be replaced and you will start over. This counts as one attempt.

2. If you fail, you get one more try using the same procedure but have to wait at the end of the line. Last time we have 100% pass with nobody close to failing.

Sorry, I will not stay all afternoon. If you don't make it on try one or two, time to go home and either practice or get training. Target distance will be measured (25 yards is always further away when you use a tape measure rather than a guess), and the targets will be accurately scored (no upgrades of hits to make the number).

Please bring the qualification page of your application for me to sign, and write you name on the page somewhere at the top (there is no line for it, but I do not sign blank checks). I will provide the required copy of my NRA certification.

rob

ps: The caliber you take the range test will be listed as the maximum allowable caliber on your RI carry permit.

Does it have to be free hand hold? Can you shoot with your elbows on the bench? Add a 2 MOA dot sight to your gun and it's almost like cheating. Does RI allow cheating-dot-sights on your pistol for 25 yards?
No dot sight ban. Some people find they have to choose between their dot gun and a larger caliber with irons, since few people have red dotted one of their 45s.

Will double check on the statue regarding position - RKG told me it was offhand, but I could not find that when I read the statute. But, he is a high credibility source so I have to make sure I did not miss anything.

No dot sight ban. Some people find they have to choose between their dot gun and a larger caliber with irons, since few people have red dotted one of their 45s.

Will double check on the statue regarding position - RKG told me it was offhand, but I could not find that when I read the statute. But, he is a high credibility source so I have to make sure I did not miss anything.
How the F do complete newbies hit anything with a handgun at 25 yards? Esp if they're trying to qualify with the biggest soft shooting caliber number they can handle [45ACP]? First time I shot at the range with a Glock 19 ever, couldn't hit a paper plate once with eleven tries at 30 feet lol. Are people expected to practice with airsoft until they get the fundamentals down?

How the F do complete newbies hit anything with a handgun at 25 yards? Esp if they're trying to qualify with the biggest soft shooting caliber number they can handle [45ACP]? First time I shot at the range with a Glock 19 ever, couldn't hit a paper plate once with eleven tries at 30 feet lol. Are people expected to practice with airsoft until they get the fundamentals down?
see below from post 58:
RI residents need a "Blue Card" to buy a handgun. This requires only a simple dealer administered written test, and it is legal to take the gun to a range to train.

Only the RI Carry Permit requires the shooting test.

Nope, expected to get a Blue Card, buy a gun, and use it at a range until they are able to pass the test. Look at the bright side - it's much easier than the NJ test.

"§ 11-47-15 Proof of ability required for license or permit. – No person shall be issued a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person until he or she has presented certification as prescribed in § 11-47-16 that he or she has qualified with a pistol or revolver of a caliber equal to or larger than the one he or she intends to carry, that qualification to consist of firing a score of one hundred ninety-five (195) or better out of a possible score of three hundred (300) with thirty (30) consecutive rounds at a distance of twenty-five (25) yards on the army "L" target, firing "slow" fire. The "slow" fire course shall allow ten (10) minutes for the firing of each of three (3) ten (10) shot strings."

Given the vintage of this statute (1959), I believe that the term "slow fire" refers to one of the three national gallery states ("slow fire," "timed fire" and "rapid fire"), all of this were "offhand" (i.e., no rests). And I am aware of at least one town's licensing officer (herself a qualified pistol competitor) who interprets the statute the same way.

A more interesting -- and possibly closer -- question is whether two handed shooting is acceptable. Anyone who remembers the glory days of bullseye shooting remembers that everyone shot one handed. For myself, I have always interpreted § 11-4-15 to allow two-handed shooting, but I confess there is nothing I can cite for that interpretation.

I think I am ready.

32 rounds in 2 to 3 minutes.

Using a 10" splatter target at 25 yards.

There are two at the bottom. Which I think would have been fine on an L target.

My L targets arrive tonight, but I couldn't wait.

And if I don't feel like 45acp, 32 of 9mm in 1 minute. Good enough. Shooting paper s*cks.

What ammo are you using? Do you have an optic or iron sights? I shot today and it was embarrassing. Too much caffeine. Note to self, 1 cup of coffee next week and no energy drinks...

I believe the statute says "non magnifying sight". I heard some instructors interpret that to mean iron sights and other say and RDS does not magnify so they're ok.
Also says "unsupported"....can't lean on/against something

Never seen/heard anyone doing it with anything but a two handed grip. I've taken the test and seen it done dozens of times by others at my range. Two handed always (with different instructors)

Do you really think RI wants you to qualify for a gun license? I say no.

That said I did qualify with a really good score with a .45.

Took mine with Rob at Hopkinton. Still need my corrected certificate (name was incorrect). No rush.

I'll never get a RI license. I'm lucky to hit paper at 25 yards. 😔
I maintain if I can do it, anyone can. Took me regular practice to get reasonable (note: not good, reasonable).

Asked for some 1-1 instructor time...during it he said, let's pull out the L target. I shot it. He said "works for me" and I was done

IIRC from up thread, the 4 ring is about 25" in diameter. With a random pattern on that whole target area, you'd average 7 points per shot, of which you're taking 30. That's 210 points.

Passing is 195.

So it's not exactly "if you put everything on the paper, you pass." But it's mighty close.

uI believe the statute says "non magnifying sight". I heard some instructors interpret that to mean iron sights and other say and RDS does not magnify so they're ok.
Also says "unsupported"....can't lean on/against somethinghttps://riag.ri.gov/sites/g/files/xkgbur496/files/documents/PERMIT-APPLICATION-2020.pdf

Never seen/heard anyone doing it with anything but a two handed grip. I've taken the test and seen it done dozens of times by others at my range. Two handed always (with different instructors)
Can you please point me to the statute that says "no magnifying site" and "unspoorted". This is what I found on the RI AG site regarding the statute for the test. I've never had anyone take any where near 10 minutes for a 10 round string.

1691030648750.png 44

1691030738094.png

Can you please point me to the statute that says "no magnifying site" and "unspoorted". This is what I found on the RI AG site regarding the statute for the test. I've never had anyone take any where near 10 minutes for a 10 round string.

View attachment 78097944

View attachment 780980
No I can't because I can't find the place I read it originally :)

Edit: Maybe I was reading one of these type sites Rhode Island CCW Qualification (RICCWQ) - Salomon Firearms Training. They all kind of start to look the same after a while

Last edited:
Looks like I'm a bit late to this. I'm interested but unsure if I can make this one. Mostly interested in the process. I am a member at Hopkington, not that I expect it to make a difference here but I am familiar with the club. A score of 195 on a 28x28 at 25 yards is the qualifier? I don't have any targets that large. I have 14x14. How large is the center ring in comparison? I may head down to the range a see what I can do tomorrow morning.

Has anyone had experience with going through Woonsocket, North Smithfield, or Cumberland?

Would anyone be weirded out if I came down and just observed? If so then that is fine. I'm just being curious.

How did I miss this too. Hmm. Anyone object to someone just coming to observe?

Found this. Basically, if you can get 26 or 27 shots in an 18"×18" area and at least 3, maybe 4 shots inside a 15x15 area, you are good to go.

Ypu guys cna do the math to see what is the worst you can do. But all shots in the 6 gets you 180 of the 195.

Screenshot_20230804_173544_Samsung Notes.jpg

Are all these accepting out of State applications?

Cranston wants the letters of reference to be notarized. Pain in the a**. But they make it clear they accept out of State applications.

Warwick and Greenwich don't mention the letters have to be notarized. But not sure if they mention they are accepting out of State applications.

Exeter doesn't mention sh*t. Looks like no letters.

Last edited:
Are all these accepting out of State applications?

Cranston wants the letters of reference to be notarized. Pain in the a**. But they make it clear they accept put of State applications.

Warwick and Greenwich don't mention the letters have to be notarized. But bot sure if they mention they are accepting out of State applications.

Exeter doesn't mention sh*t. Looks like no letters.
To my knowledge, all of them do out-of-state. I think every town has to but some are better than others. I found them in the RI Laws forum as tolerable towns for out-of-staters to work with.

Exeter is the only one I've found that doesn't appear to be requiring letters. Lots of other crap, but you don't need to bother friends to generate something.

Wondering, why Cranston when others seem so much easier?
No preference, other than I can download the form in time for Wednesday and one of our son lives close in Warwick, so we pass through quite a lot.

I tried for an application at Greenwich last year, and spoke with a licensing office there, they seem just as bad. She wanted signed and sealed letters of reference with your application and booking 6-9 months out

That they are implicitly endorsing taking a self defense shot at 25 yards is nuts.
Agreed. If they want to give the same test at 10 yards and reduce the size of the target proportionally, that would make a hell of a lot more sense. But the anti-gun people who make up these damn rules, don't give a sh!t what makes sense and what doesn't (and couldn't tell the difference).

Frank

Back
Top Bottom