RI Pistol Permit Qualification 8/9/23 at 1:30pm sharp in Hopkinton (FULL)

Last edited:
With the towns being "shall issue", I assume that's the best path. Any suggestions on the best town to use?

I might go thru Providence. I'm constantly traveling thru Glocester and Foster on my way to the boat, but I heard Foster is taking up to 6 months. I think Providence would be good. I also head out to Bristol a few times a year for appointments. Not sure yet.

I might go thru Providence. I'm constantly traveling thru Glocester and Foster on my way to the boat, but I heard Foster is taking up to 6 months. I think Providence would be good. I also head out to Bristol a few times a year for appointments. Not sure yet.
Certainly more convenient for me, but imposes the need to bother 3 friends for letters.

I should see about taking a day off to come and take advantage of this. also meet some NESers I haven't before. I am trying to find a department that doesn't require letters. references is fine, but having to get friends to go get letters notarized is a pain in the ass. one I will use, is disabled, and that isn't fair to ask above and beyond of him to go out and get that done. potentially Exeter does not require letters as well. this is something I am needing to do more research on. Might just have to visit every towns website and start a list...
feel free to chime in with any info from people who have done it in the past. or PM if you prefer.

I just got the Army L-Targets in. They are huge. I just had a friend of mine get his permit yesterday from Greenwhich, RI. I'll pick his brain when he gets out of work.

Test is at a measured 25 yards, you get two tries
rather interesting they made it 25 - for those who never zeroed or adjusted stock irons specifically for 25 it may be challenging, if gun was only tuned or used for 7 or 11yds.
all my stock glocks were at least 8-9" off POA at 25yds, as i recently re-zeroed all my handguns for 25.

i could not beleive i was able to shoot 50m with margolin at 15 yr old using irons, off one hand sport style at 50m and was pretty good with it - tried it recently with my way more superior ruger 4 and failed miserably. duh...

Sounds like a good group! If it wasn't so far away from me (and if I hadn't already done my RI qual. a couple of months ago), I'd be up for stopping by just to meet and hang out with some fellow NESers for a little while. Have fun, y'all!

Frank

Just a thought why not each exchange letters of reference at the testing.
Every one of the application forms I've looked at asks how many years you have known each reference. It would be like the 6 months of practice eliding into "six...teen years" routine in My Cousin Vinnie. ;)

rather interesting they made it 25
I always ask people to clear their guns after their first 5 shots then visit the target to see if they are on-track to passing. It interesting how people setting up who estimate the 25 yards are always way short when I bring out the tape measure.

Looks like I'm a bit late to this. I'm interested but unsure if I can make this one. Mostly interested in the process. I am a member at Hopkington, not that I expect it to make a difference here but I am familiar with the club. A score of 195 on a 28x28 at 25 yards is the qualifier? I don't have any targets that large. I have 14x14. How large is the center ring in comparison? I may head down to the range a see what I can do tomorrow morning.

Has anyone had experience with going through Woonsocket, North Smithfield, or Cumberland?

Would anyone be weirded out if I came down and just observed? If so then that is fine. I'm just being curious.

Looks like I'm a bit late to this. I'm interested but unsure if I can make this one. Mostly interested in the process. I am a member at Hopkington, not that I expect it to make a difference here
1. It makes a huge difference if you ask nicely for a private meetup (members only please)
2. The club keeps Army L targets in stock.

1. It makes a huge difference if you ask nicely for a private meetup (members only please)
2. The club keeps Army L targets in stock.

100% agree with #1. In my defense and I'll admit ignorance is not a defense but I'll use it this time. I've just joined this year so I don't really know all that the club has to offer and I am not so good at connecting names on a forum with people in real life. I've known people for over 20 years now on a motorcycle forum and I still have trouble. I make up for it with my seemingly difficult to understand humor.

I just looked at my calander and sadly I thought this was during my vacation week but I will be back at work for this. I may at some point contact you about this and I'll see if my friend that sponsored me in would be interested as well. I would defiantly want to practice a but beforehand just to see. 25 yards is a good pistol shot and I know it is almost the length of the pits.

#2 I had no idea. When I did my indoor qualification Bob Draper offered me one of the cardboard silhouette targets. Didn't even think to ask about anything else. Wasn't even on my radar. Was more interested in getting my 7 year old started with more then just me.

#2 I had no idea. When I did my indoor qualification Bob Draper offered me one of the cardboard silhouette targets. Didn't even think to ask about anything else. Wasn't even on my radar. Was more interested in getting my 7 year old started with more then just me.
The only two "club qualifications" at Hopkinton are the indoor range and 200 yards. The indoor range qual gets your keycard activated for the range, and the 200 yard qual gets the "200" printed on your membership card.

The RI certification is something I do for the good of the shooting community, plus I feel I am striking a very small blow for the cause every time I help someone get a carry permit.

The RI range test is not part of the club qualification, and does not go in your membership record. No one in the club leadership cares a rodent's rectum if you have done it. The club has a rule against members doing "compensated instruction" not as part of a club program, and the best way to make sure any activity remains welcome at the club is for it to generate revenue (very modest in this case).

If someone is "way off" on their initial 5 shots, they can get a new target and start over without that counting as a new attempt. But, in the interest of sanity (mine), there is a two try limit.

Last edited:
You know, my office has been in downtown Hopkinton for 22 years and I can hear the range from our parking lot, but I don't have the faintest ****ing idea where it is.

Looks like I'm a bit late to this. I'm interested but unsure if I can make this one. Mostly interested in the process. I am a member at Hopkington, not that I expect it to make a difference here but I am familiar with the club. A score of 195 on a 28x28 at 25 yards is the qualifier? I don't have any targets that large. I have 14x14. How large is the center ring in comparison? I may head down to the range a see what I can do tomorrow morning.

Has anyone had experience with going through Woonsocket, North Smithfield, or Cumberland?

Would anyone be weirded out if I came down and just observed? If so then that is fine. I'm just being curious.
I believe the center ring (10 points) on the Army-L is 4 inches

I think I am ready.

32 rounds in 2 to 3 minutes.

Using a 10" splatter target at 25 yards.

There are two at the bottom. Which I think would have been fine on an L target.

My L targets arrive tonight, but I couldn't wait.

20230802_114105.jpg

And if I don't feel like 45acp, 32 of 9mm in 1 minute. Good enough. Shooting paper s*cks.

20230802_115636.jpg

chernobyl-nuclear.gif

Last edited:
So, new shooters in RI also have to qualify at 25 yards?

That really s*cks for a new shooter. How are they supposed to practice?

I bet most cops can't do it.

wish it wasn't on a weekday.. I'd definitely be IN.

FYI.. you can get Army L targets at Competition Shooting on Benefit St in Pawtucket (Right off 95 at MA Exit 2)

I'll never get a RI license. I'm lucky to hit paper at 25 yards. 😔
It's a 28" piece of paper...

I'm pretty sure they can own without the pistol permit, just can't carry.

RI residents need a "Blue Card" to buy a handgun. This requires only a simple dealer administered written test, and it is legal to take the gun to a range to train.

Only the RI Carry Permit requires the shooting test.

Does it have to be free hand hold? Can you shoot with your elbows on the bench? Add a 2 MOA dot sight to your gun and it's almost like cheating. Does RI allow cheating-dot-sights on your pistol for 25 yards?

Back
Top Bottom