• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI Pistol Permit Qualification 8/9/23 at 1:30pm sharp in Hopkinton (FULL)

Looking at the old and current forms, there is exactly zero difference in the information on each form - it's just in different places. Nothing more on the old form nor anything less.

Reminds me of a novel from a while back, a re-boot of Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell. There's one point where someone is filling out forms in hell. It's a multi-page form and needs 5 copies, but you can't use carbon paper because even though every copy is asking for the same information, it's in different places on the pages for each copy.

I'm curious too. Has anyone received theirs yet? I'm wondering what kind of a wait I have ahead of me.

Also I noticed a few towns, including the one I live in, that still have on the application something like "write a letter stating why you *need* a permit".

I can just apply in a different town?

Last edited:
I'm curious too. Has anyone received theirs yet? I'm wondering what kind of a wait I have ahead of me.

Also I noticed a few towns, including the one I live in, that still have on the application something like "write a letter stating why you *need* a permit".

I’m somewhere close to 5 months at this point and nothing so far.

Most of the folks in this thread are MA residents, who can apply in any town. If you are a RI resident, I believe your only options are your town and (I think) the state AG. All towns are "must issue", IIRC. I think the AG license lets you carry openly, but is "may issue".

I’m somewhere close to 5 months at this point and nothing so far.
Right there with you.

Most of the folks in this thread are MA residents, who can apply in any town. If you are a RI resident, I believe your only options are your town and (I think) the state AG. All towns are "must issue", IIRC. I think the AG license lets you carry openly, but is "may issue".
Thanks for confirming many were out of state.
I looked up the wording again and in 11-47-11 I read it as a RI resident you must apply in your town of residence. But if you have a permit issued by another state you can apply in any town in RI.

But if you have a permit issued by another state you can apply in any town in RI.
Well, if that's the case, you can always do a mail application for a NH or Maine LTC (just a few weeks for either) and then pick a town if you don't want to use yours. New Hampshire is very easy, a simple form and no picture required.

Last edited:
Friday is the 5 month mark. At least some of us know they received our apps because they kicked it back on the qualification form after 3 weeks. I wonder what the piles of applications look like? :confused:
Friday was 6 months since the qual shooting. You got an extra finger on that hand, Pete? ;)

Oh, shit, you're right. Unbelievable. Gun Control at its Finest!!! I've been on call since 02:15 this morning and was reading through a bunch of threads. It's just utterly amazing the hoops that we jump through to try and stay legal in this country. I'm not giving up. Teaching a class tomorrow at the church on my dime. 4 more LTC's in Mass. But I'm afraid we lost the battle. This is not the Country I grew up in. They control all forms of media and they control the schools. It's only a matter of time. Stay strong New Hampshire!!! The Ma**h***s are invading like immigrants....

Oh, shit, you're right. Unbelievable. Gun Control at its Finest!!! I've been on call since 02:15 this morning and was reading through a bunch of threads. It's just utterly amazing the hoops that we jump through to try and stay legal in this country. I'm not giving up. Teaching a class tomorrow at the church on my dime. 4 more LTC's in Mass. But I'm afraid we lost the battle. This is not the Country I grew up in. They control all forms of media and they control the schools. It's only a matter of time. Stay strong New Hampshire!!! The Ma**h***s are invading like immigrants....
that's generous of you to donate your time and knowledge as a resource to your community. good on ya mr. pete [thumbsup]

OK, it's now where we're all starting to roll past 6 months since applications were received by the PDs. Anyone hear anything?

MassPete said:
Happy 7 month Anniversary... Maybe we can do an anniversary shoot with Rob this summer.... :D
We may have to. Our qualifications are only good for a year. I can just see someone at the PD looking at the dates 13 months in and saying, "Nope, this is expired." ;)

Took Foster 8 months. They’re flooded, and have limited staff.
When did your 8 months end?

We may have to. Our qualifications are only good for a year. I can just see someone at the PD looking at the dates 13 months in and saying, "Nope, this is expired." ;)

When did your 8 months end?
I applied in August. Paperwork rejected due to a missing item. Resent in early Sept. Got the permit in April.

I applied in August. Paperwork rejected due to a missing item. Resent in early Sept. Got the permit in April.
Interesting. Hopefully a year ago ()not two or more), so that there's some limit to the queue growth.

I applied in August. Paperwork rejected due to wrong form (same info needed, just on a newer version of the form :rolleyes:). paperwork resubmitted end of August. We'll see what happens.

You know, they should run this as a profit center. Confirm out of state license, confirm all the right forms, setup the picture/prints, cleanup when they come for pickup. 30 minutes tops all in, then collect $100. Hell, I'll run it for them for $30 per, and they can keep the excess!

Back
Top Bottom