• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI Pistol Permit Qualification 8/9/23 at 1:30pm sharp in Hopkinton (FULL)

MassPete

NES Member
RI Qualification...

If you're interested in obtaining your pistol permit in RI, you will need to qualify at the range with a Certified Instructor.

Residents of Rhode Island and out-of-state applicants are legally mandated to pass the shooting qualification set forth by the RI Attorney General, to obtain a RI License to Carry a Concealable Weapon (CCW). The shooting exam consists of firing a total of 30 consecutive rounds with a semi-automatic pistol or revolver, at 25 yards, at an Army ‘L’ Bullseye Target. Each round has the potential to score up to 10 points, which means the maximum score you can achieve is 300. You need a minimum score of 195 points to pass (65%). This shooting exam is limited to 30 minutes.

Shooters may use any handgun of their choice, of any action, non-magnifying sights, and caliber. However, whichever caliber the shooter qualifies with, that is the largest caliber they can carry with their license. So, if you qualify with a .22 pistol, you can only carry .22 caliber handguns. But if you qualify with a .45 pistol, you can carry that and everything below (.40, .357 magnum, .38spl, 9mm, .380, .22lr, etc.). RI CCW is good for 4 years.

Rob Boudrie said he could do early afternoon at 1:30pm on Wednesday, August 9 in Hopkinton. The range closes at 2:45. If he reserves the range, he needs to make sure 5 of us show up. He is smart enough to have someone else organize it, so I am collecting the donations. $20.00 per person. I will write the check to the Hopkinton Sportsmens Association. You can PM me and send the cash via Venmo. If we don't have 5 donations by the 1st, it will be cancelled. If it cancels, I will return the money. Let me know as soon as you can. Thanks.... I'll keep this list up to date..

1. Masspete - paid
2. Toast - paid
3. Rockrivr1 - paid
4. Hoagi1 - paid
5. Captainbly - paid
6. HarryPotter - paid
7. Broc - paid

Everyone is paid.. Thanks guys...

Last edited:
Please bring the qualification page I can sign and an ID I can photograph with your qual form for my records.

I will provide everyone who passes with a copy of my NRA instructor cert and instructor card (required with the RI application).

Test is at a measured 25 yards, you get two tries. Any reasonably competent shooter will have no problems, but I have had people who took several tries to "just barely" qualify. I play it straight on the scoring and procedure so no "gimmies" or "rounding up".

Please bring the qualification page I can sign and an ID I can photograph with your qual form for my records.

I will provide everyone who passes with a copy of my NRA instructor cert and instructor card (required with the RI application).

Test is at a measured 25 yards, you get two tries. Any reasonably competent shooter will have no problems, but I have had people who took several tries to "just barely" qualify. I play it straight on the scoring and procedure so no "gimmies" or "rounding up".
I can't make this one, but hopefully there's more

I just bought special bullseye ammo... :)

Let's see if Rob can do more than 5.
Sure can. No problem running 2-3 people in parallel.

The time limit is that setup for a scheduled club event starts at 3PM so there is a "hard stop" on when shooting ends. If we run past that, we will move to the rifle range.

RI Qualification...

If you're interested in obtaining your pistol permit in RI, you will need to qualify at the range with a Certified Instructor.

Residents of Rhode Island and out-of-state applicants are legally mandated to pass the shooting qualification set forth by the RI Attorney General, to obtain a RI License to Carry a Concealable Weapon (CCW). The shooting exam consists of firing a total of 30 consecutive rounds with a semi-automatic pistol or revolver, at 25 yards, at an Army ‘L’ Bullseye Target. Each round has the potential to score up to 10 points, which means the maximum score you can achieve is 300. You need a minimum score of 195 points to pass (65%). This shooting exam is limited to 30 minutes.

Shooters may use any handgun of their choice, of any action, non-magnifying sights, and caliber. However, whichever caliber the shooter qualifies with, that is the largest caliber they can carry with their license. So, if you qualify with a .22 pistol, you can only carry .22 caliber handguns. But if you qualify with a .45 pistol, you can carry that and everything below (.40, .357 magnum, .38spl, 9mm, .380, .22lr, etc.). RI CCW is good for 4 years.

Rob Boudrie said he could do early afternoon at 1:30pm on Wednesday, August 9 in Hopkinton. The range closes at 2:45. If he reserves the range, he needs to make sure 5 of us show up. He is smart enough to have someone else organize it, so I am collecting the donations. $20.00 per person. I will write the $100.00 check to the Hopkinton Sportsmens Association. You can PM me and send the cash via Venmo. If we don't have 5 donations by the 1st, it will be cancelled. If it cancels, I will return the money. Let me know as soon as you can. Thanks.... I'll keep this list up to date..

1. Masspete - paid
2. Toast - paid
3. Rockrivr1 - paid
4. Hoagi1
5. Captainbly

Standby List...

1. Rat187
2. Rat's guest
I was just doing it for grins actually fill out the 5 person quota.... however my Buddy from RI can have my slot. he needs his RI CCW

Do you know if page 38 of this the right page?

There's also one here: https://riag.ri.gov/media/4116/download?language=en

EDIT: Well, those are the AG's forms, which is "may issue", not the "shall" through the towns. It appears that the towns have their own forms. OK, time to do some prework.

Last edited:
That is it. If you are applying a town, I would suggest using the exact form that town requires.

At present, AG is "May issue", towns are "Shall issue".

I believe this to be a good legal attack surface as the AG permit is the only one allowing open carry, so the justification of "alternate means exists" the AG uses may rest on a weak foundation. There is not "Alternate means" other than AG permit to get an "Open carry" permit (AG is concealed or open).

I was just doing it for grins actually fill out the 5 person quota.... however my Buddy from RI can have my slot. he needs his RI CCW
It was a quota to make it worth my time, not a limit. Sign up if you want. I am doing this for the shooting community and to support what is just and right, however, when I do so I want a decent return on my efforts (I'm talking about the # of people getting the license, not the small $$ the club gets)

It was a quota to make it worth my time, not a limit. Sign up if you want. I am doing this for the shooting community and to support what is just and right, however, when I do so I want a decent return on my efforts (I'm talking about the # of people getting the license, not the small $$ the club gets)
Bob,
Enough, I signed up cuz I thought as a HSA club member I could help all involved out including you by filling 2 vacant slots. That being said, I could care less about her Rhode Island CCW license but my buddy who lives in Rhode Island and has been car jacked go onto the VA definitely needs to get his license so that's where I'm coming from. Over Bob g

Back
Top Bottom