• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Review of my new M&P vs Glock 34

De, I have put about 100-200 rounds through my new M&P 9 Pro with no issues at all. I agree the trigger is crunchy and I haven't really seen it improve much. I fired about 80 rounds of Blazer aluminum case ammo and the rest some of my buddies 9mm IDPA reloads. No issues at all with several different shooters trying the gun out.

I also had trouble getting the "slide stop lever" (Glock term, I don't know what Smith calls it) to close with my thumb... it is loosening up and getting better as I have put some rounds through it.

I must say that I think it was probably a mistake to be breaking the gun down and working on the gun before you fired it... maybe it was something you changed that is causing the problems.

As far as the Glock vs M&P, I've had a Glock on the PD for over 20 years and and must agree with some earlier posts - the Glock is pretty simple and it works all the time... KISS principle...

De, my recoil spring has blue paint on the front end of it, I assume this is some kind of code for the spring weight, is yours blue also?

Yeah, but when I spoke to a guy at S&W he says the paint really doesn't mean it's the "right" spring.

De, I have put about 100-200 rounds through my new M&P 9 Pro with no issues at all. I agree the trigger is crunchy and I haven't really seen it improve much. I fired about 80 rounds of Blazer aluminum case ammo and the rest some of my buddies 9mm IDPA reloads. No issues at all with several different shooters trying the gun out.

I also had trouble getting the "slide stop lever" (Glock term, I don't know what Smith calls it) to close with my thumb... it is loosening up and getting better as I have put some rounds through it.

I must say that I think it was probably a mistake to be breaking the gun down and working on the gun before you fired it... maybe it was something you changed that is causing the problems.

As far as the Glock vs M&P, I've had a Glock on the PD for over 20 years and and must agree with some earlier posts - the Glock is pretty simple and it works all the time... KISS principle...

It's possible the modifications I did resulted in this. I just can't think of any reason for them to have. I think it was the recoil spring.

De, Wish I saw this post earlier. I've had the M&P Pro for almost a year now with 0 issues since I bought it. As a matter of fact, I only put 50 rounds through it before shooting it in an IDPA match. The first 1000 rounds were a mix of WWB and Remmy UMC and its only fed reloads. I can bring it to the next Harvard practice if you want to shoot them side by side to see if there is any difference.

De, Wish I saw this post earlier. I've had the M&P Pro for almost a year now with 0 issues since I bought it. As a matter of fact, I only put 50 rounds through it before shooting it in an IDPA match. The first 1000 rounds were a mix of WWB and Remmy UMC and its only fed reloads. I can bring it to the next Harvard practice if you want to shoot them side by side to see if there is any difference.

That might not be a bad idea.
The next practice is a week from today right?

UNBELIEVABLE

Today I borrowed a sight tool from an NES member (thank you)
I double checked my rear sight and then I centered my front sight.

I called S&W's support line and they told me they don't even use a tool. They use a nylon or "german steel" punch to drift the sights.

I used a brass punch and centered mine.
Here it is centered.
2zpilau.jpg

I took 20 shots off hand at 30 feet with WWB at a pretty good pace.
I thought everything in the world was good. The group wasn't great but hell, these were my first shots tonight. Just warming up.
4g3ds1.jpg

Then I took 20 shots with my own reloads (similar to WWB) same distance and pace
Things looked like they were moving a bit to the right but still a pretty good group. Still happy.
2j2hv6g.jpg

I put up a fresh piece of paper and was shooting my 147 grain IDPA loads.
My first shots were dead center in the black. Then they started to go WAY right.
bgaako.jpg

I am not one to blame equipment first. I always look at operator error.
To me, that meant my shooting ability which after the first 2 groups did not seem to be the case.
Next would be my ammo. I thought maybe the problem was my load. I was cursing myself that now I would have to develop yet another load just for this gun and come back to test it out.

Then I looked down at my front sight.
It had moved itself back to the left!

25gw180.jpg

I did a test. Centered the sight with a punch while at the range.
It took 30 rounds to make the sight drift left again.

I AM SO PISSED OFF AT THIS STUPID GUN.

No one here can tell me that painting the frame, or doing my own trigger job resulted in a whore-loose front sight.

At first I thought maybe my modifications were causing problems with this gun. I was ready to have my craftsmanship take the blame for the gun not working.

Today I'm thinking: I've been working with my hands for the past 10 years or so, TIG welding, building engines, custom parts both large and miniscule. I own 3 dremels for various small jobs etc. I'm very comfortable both doing my own work and have actually sold my services to a few hundred people in other industries. I'm going to say that at this point the problems I'm having are just not because of me. I'm no longer giving S&W the benefit of the doubt.

My conclusions:
1. Cutting the coil allowed me to fire 3 different loads without failure. The original coil would NOT fire anything reliably. The very first day I believe over 300 rounds were put through that gun. The second day over 300 were as well. The "breaking the gun in" argument does not hold water. There was something wrong with the coil I was sent.

2. The burr on my takedown lever was certainly not my fault and was causing issues with stripping and re-assembly. It's a good thing I had the tools and ability to fix that at home and don't have to send the gun back.

3. The front sight absolutely cannot be my fault. I think I may have to send the gun back for this. It's so stupid. I'm so frustrated at this thing. As you can tell it's consuming me.

I am pissed off at the great looking, under-performing gun.

And at the same time I'm childishly happy I have a Glock on my hip and two more in my safe. I'll be ok tonight.

Last edited:
put a set screw in the front sight

While I could fix it myself, it would require me drift out the front sight, drill then buy a tap that I maybe don't own yet and then find accompanying set screw. I've already put quite a bit of time making it look the way I want (I'll take the loss on that. It makes me happy). But I've spent even more time and close to 700-800 rds of ammo trying to make it run right.

I don't think that on a brand new gun I should need to do this just to make the thing shoot straight and predictably.

Obviously I'm still upset.

Isn't there a way to loctite a sight in?

Course now you're probably wondering... is it the sight that is ghey, or is the dovetail bad? [thinking]

-Mike

Isn't there a way to loctite a sight in?

Course now you're probably wondering... is it the sight that is ghey, or is the dovetail bad? [thinking]

-Mike

I have heard people say they have used a bit of loctite under the sight, but I have never tried it.

Yes...and did this gun fall off the truck before it was given to me?

Take the front sight off, turn it over and place it a vise so the it is fully supported by the jaws. Now take a stippling punch or similar sharp tool and disrupt the base of the sight for an interference fit (take it easy). Now drift the sight back into the dovetail and apply a little green "wicking" Loctite. This stuff will work its way into the joint and secure the sight. I believe a 24 hour curing period id s recommended. If you feel lucky you could skip the stippling and just use the Loctite. This stuff has worked well for me on dovetail sights.

I would also buy a couple of spare front sights from S&W as you might just have a bad sight.

Maybe it was built on a Friday.

If there were a bunch of threads here and elsewhere on the internet filled with problems about the S&W M&P series, I'd say the gun's a write off. The problem is, there isn't. I'd say you got a bum gun. It happens. When I was in school for music, I was playing Selmer Mark VI with the "right" serial number that placed in the same horn batch that all the jazz greats from the '60's played. Coltrane, Getz, etc. This horn was a POS that was as inconsistent in intonation as pregnant woman is about what she wants for dinner. Probably why it ended up in a college, and not in a concert hall.

See if S&W can make it right for you. But I wouldn't write off the M&P line until it becomes a consistent problem across a number of firearms.

Good luck.

(Disclaimer: I recently bought my wife an M&P9 and I have never shot better with any other pistol than I do with this thing, and we have had zero issues with it so far, but it's only had maybe 100 rds through it so far, so I'm hesitent to say it's the bees knees just yet)

Last edited:
Take the front sight off, turn it over and place it a vise so the it is fully supported by the jaws. Now take a stippling punch or similar sharp tool and disrupt the base of the sight for an interference fit (take it easy). Now drift the sight back into the dovetail and apply a little green "wicking" Loctite. This stuff will work its way into the joint and secure the sight. I believe a 24 hour curing period id s recommended. If you feel lucky you could skip the stippling and just use the Loctite. This stuff has worked well for me on dovetail sights.

I would also buy a couple of spare front sights from S&W as you might just have a bad sight.

+1

Peening and locktite makes your problem go away.

Loctite 290 is the product that wicks. Don't bother with any other type, most of it will get wiped off as the sight gets installed. Put the sight where it belongs, and a couple drops of the 290 will wick right into the clean joint. Wait 24 hours and it will stay. Don't hose the slide down with oil when cleaning it.

Interesting. When I have a sec this morning I'll give S&W a call but if I don't feel like being apart from the gun for a few weeks I may try that. Thanks for the tip.

Maybe it was built on a Friday.

If there were a bunch of threads here and elsewhere on the internet filled with problems about the S&W M&P series, I'd say the gun's a write off. The problem is, there isn't. I'd say you got a bum gun. It happens. When I was in school for music, I was playing Selmer Mark VI with the "right" serial number that placed in the same horn batch that all the jazz greats from the '60's played. Coltrane, Getz, etc. This horn was a POS that was as inconsistent in intonation as pregnant woman is about what she wants for dinner. Probably why it ended up in a college, and not in a concert hall.

See if S&W can make it right for you. But I wouldn't write off the M&P line until it becomes a consistent problem across a number of firearms.

Good luck.

(Disclaimer: I recently bought my wife an M&P9 and I have never shot better with any other pistol than I do with this thing, and we have had zero issues with it so far, but it's only had maybe 100 rds through it so far, so I'm hesitent to say it's the bees knees just yet)

You'd be surprised. At www.mp-pistol.com there are a lot of users but very few threads. You'll see quite a few people with drifting sight issues, failure to go into battery issues. One guy was trying to drift his rear sight and the slide cracked. Of course that'll happen with any product (a few bad ones) but given the low number of threads on that forum I'd say it's more common than you think.

eh, either way I'm a little turned off by the M&P now. I was really hoping to like the gun. Still trying to keep an open mind to it but it's hard. The thing does group really well when the sights stay in place.

Loctite 290 is the product that wicks. Don't bother with any other type, most of it will get wiped off as the sight gets installed. Put the sight where it belongs, and a couple drops of the 290 will wick right into the clean joint. Wait 24 hours and it will stay. Don't hose the slide down with oil when cleaning it.

Thanks for that tip. I'll check to see which one I have.

Send it back.
Calling S&W this morning to talk to them.

S&W didn't recommend loctite. They said that either the dovetail is too loose in which case they'd need to replace the slide...or the sight is too small.

They're sending me a new one.

One thing I can't complain about is their customer service. Always been good to me.

Best of luck... I hope S+W makes it right. The M+P is a great design but it is not without it's teething problems. Things have gotten a lot better with it
overall. (Not all that long ago every other person I met that had one in .40 had the mag deciding it was going to come out automatically on its own during
strings.... [laugh])

-Mike

You'd be surprised. At www.mp-pistol.com there are a lot of users but very few threads. You'll see quite a few people with drifting sight issues, failure to go into battery issues. One guy was trying to drift his rear sight and the slide cracked. Of course that'll happen with any product (a few bad ones) but given the low number of threads on that forum I'd say it's more common than you think.

That's not really a good indicator at all. I am registered there, but like most users I really only go over there if I have a technical question about the gun or about custom work, etc. I don't think most people post about their M&Ps unless they're having trouble with them.

That's not really a good indicator at all. I am registered there, but like most users I really only go over there if I have a technical question about the gun or about custom work, etc. I don't think most people post about their M&Ps unless they're having trouble with them.

I think that speaks quite a bit about the product.

On car forums you have two types. You either have forums where enthusiasts look to modify, profess their undying love for, or simply chat about the cars they have OR you have car forums where all people do is post about the problems and look online for solutions. (Like the Land Rover forums I used to visit. Stupid POS)

Compare Glocktalk to the MP forums and you'll find a huge difference.
Yes, there are people on Glocktalk that post problems. Many of them. However, the large majority of the forum are true enthusiasts for that particular gun for some reason or another.

As you said, on the MP forums most people just go there to post their problems.

Again, not trying to put down the M&P shooters. I really intend to like the gun. I just want it to work. Once it does I'll stop being so pissed off at it.

Compare Glocktalk to the MP forums and you'll find a huge difference.
Yes, there are people on Glocktalk that post problems. Many of them. However, the large majority of the forum are true enthusiasts for that particular gun for some reason or another.

As you said, on the MP forums most people just go there to post their problems.

Part of that is an issue of timing. GlockTalk has been around for a long time, so it's become a community. Arfcom is the same way. The M&P forums haven't been around that long, plus the online shooting community niche is already filled by Glocktalk, arfcom, THR, TFL, etc. Compare the volume of the non gun specific content at the M&P forums vs the others and you'll find a vast difference.

Speaking for me personally, my 'community of fellow gun owners' itch is scratched by this forum, so I only go to other forums for info on specific things.

I received a new recoil assembly today from SW. It feels totally different than the one that came with the gun. No more press check battery issues either. Must have been given the wrong spring to begin with

I just picked up a sight pusher from Brownells. It wasn't cheap at $107, but it makes dealing with dovetail sights a lot easier. Windage adjustments are a lot easier as you can turn a screw to move the sight rather than drifting it with a punch; much more precise.

I just picked up a sight pusher from Brownells. It wasn't cheap at $107, but it makes dealing with dovetail sights a lot easier. Windage adjustments are a lot easier as you can turn a screw to move the sight rather than drifting it with a punch; much more precise.

A NES member actually let me borrow his M&P specific MGW sight pusher.
Unfortunately it does not do the front sight as the Pro comes with a fiber optic and is too delicate to be adjusted this way as the pusher acts on the blade rather than the base (straight from S&W's mouth). Since the blade has maybe 30% of the metal of a normal fixed front sight it may snap if you attempt to drift with it.

It's funny that they use a punch to adjust theirs. I would have thought they had some cool machine with lasers and lights and stuff.

The hammer and punch is easier and faster for experienced fitters. The M&P sight pushers are not cut for a Pro. Shims must be used for the tool to work correctly, if at all. The hammer and punch is a true multi task set of tools.

Back
Top Bottom