• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Review of my new M&P vs Glock 34

I have used the hammer and punch routine for several pistols and have found that I need a little help. This is why I bought the sight pusher. This one is designed to install the sight by placing pressure on the base of the dovetail, not the sight blade. It has sufficient range of adjustment to install sights on the M&P 9mm, but I am not sure about the Pro model as I can't get my sweaty hands on one.

received the new fiber optic sight today from S&W. It felt like it went in a little tighter than the original. Hoping for good luck and hoping that I don't have to send this thing in.

On a side note: The MGW318 specific sight tool for the M&P does NOT work with the front sight of the Pro.

The slide of the Pro is so long the adjustment area can't reach the front sight. It's about 1cm too long.

When will this thread die!!

Bad news.

I went to the range today and put 30 rounds of WWB through it. The recoil spring worked great. The first few shots were amazingly accurate. Small tight groups and I was very pleased with the gun. Unfortunately my groups began shifting again and after I switched to my own reloads the front sight had moved again. Total of 50 rounds shot. Sight started to move again around 30. Not quite as far as before, but I'm pretty sure if I had continued to shoot it would have moved further.

I guess the gun will be going back to S&W. I hoped to avoid this. Oh well. I just hope they swap my firing pin block (modified) and that little plastic doohickey on the back of the slide (cerakoted) over to the new slide they give me.

Bad news.

I went to the range today and put 30 rounds of WWB through it. The recoil spring worked great. The first few shots were amazingly accurate. Small tight groups and I was very pleased with the gun. Unfortunately my groups began shifting again and after I switched to my own reloads the front sight had moved again. Total of 50 rounds shot. Sight started to move again around 30. Not quite as far as before, but I'm pretty sure if I had continued to shoot it would have moved further.

I guess the gun will be going back to S&W. I hoped to avoid this. Oh well. I just hope they swap my firing pin block (modified) and that little plastic doohickey on the back of the slide (cerakoted) over to the new slide they give me.

Give the Loctite a try.

PS When you return a gun to S&W for service they will replace all modified parts with stock items. If you have anything you want to keep, replace it with stock.

My M&P Pro is having the same front sight issues:( About 600 rounds in front sight is moving :( Pretty much exactly as you have documented. I think however I will go straight to the send it to S&W route.

Underwhere what was your end result after sending it back to smith?

My M&P Pro is having the same front sight issues:( About 600 rounds in front sight is moving :( Pretty much exactly as you have documented. I think however I will go straight to the send it to S&W route.

Underwhere what was your end result after sending it back to smith?

I didn't send it back.

I got a replacement sight from them (which didn't work)

So I went down to my vice, put the sight upside down and hit the underside of it with a punch and hammer (somewhat gently) to peen the surface.

Then I re-inserted and drifted back to center...then used green wicking loctite.

So...not too happy that I had to do that but whatever. I don't shoot it in competition.

I figured I would fire a few more rounds through it before I sent it back "just in case" any other issues might pop up...

Well the rear sight basically fell off the gun LOL. The rear sight slides very easily not sure if this is how it should be but most other sites I have removed have never had this much "slack" in them. S&W sent the FedEx label very quickly received it one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
WW- don't the rear sights have two set screws in them? I think I remember one of my rear sights on my M&Ps came of quite easily once the set screws were lose.

WW- don't the rear sights have two set screws in them? I think I remember one of my rear sights on my M&Ps came of quite easily once the set screws were lose.

Just one screw unless the other is hiding somewhere LOL.. the M&P's that I have had sights off were rather "tight". New gun 2 sights drifting after less than 1K rounds..... Something somewhere may not be within spec.. So far S&W has had amazing customer service, when it comes back I feel confident it will be right.

Just one screw unless the other is hiding somewhere LOL.. the M&P's that I have had sights off were rather "tight". New gun 2 sights drifting after less than 1K rounds..... Something somewhere may not be within spec.. So far S&W has had amazing customer service, when it comes back I feel confident it will be right.

Yeah, it was just one screw... I was confused with my Dawsons. One of mine was loose that other was snug... but nothing like regular sight like the rears of Sigs! S&W should let them out like that... no reason they should be falling off!

Well the rear sight basically fell off the gun LOL. The rear sight slides very easily not sure if this is how it should be but most other sites I have removed have never had this much "slack" in them.

This reminds me, I know a guy who had an S&W Sigma series pistol, and the front sight slid right off of it very randomly during cleaning. This was years before the M&P series came out, but I'm wondering if this is a common error to the new S&W pistols?

UPDATE

Got my M&P Pro 9MM back the other day.. Shoot it today at the IDPA match at HSC... WELL... I was noticing something odd, and then verified this with some other M&P Pro's that were there..

Smith put the front site on backwards....

I am not a gunsmith by any means but is there any advantage for them doing a "cheap fix" if for some reason the front site would fit more tightly backwards? The sight is also now "canted" and just not overall straight...

3 M&P Pro's mine is on the left.

4487225363_f7226a0d14_b.jpg

Ah, I assumed it was Jeff because we both use the same poly coated lead bullets and that's how my M&P (not a pro [sad]) looks after a match.

That's what around 400 Federal FMJ rounds look like. I keep meaning to clean it... but....

WeedWacker's sight is pretty ridiculous. Backwards? Fine. Canted and backwards? Come on![grin]

Mine's the one in the middle. The light must've been just right to hide the crud. I'm so lazy about cleaning guns.

Wow.
Disappointing.
I would think they would replace the slide.

I think the next letter should demand this. Due to this sort of thing and their ridiculous back-order system, I'm pretty much through with Smith products.... never-mind that 80% of my gun collection is by them.... and that my next gun will likely also be by them. Why must a company with so many issues make such nice stuff?

And my M&P (not a pro [sad]) looks after a match.
Once this issue is resolved you might see one in the FS section of NES...

It shouldn't impact shooting but it would piss me off!

Looking at it from the side there is elevation issues as well slight... But it would just give me a mechanical excuse for my 25yard one hole drills;)

Wow.
Disappointing.
I would think they would replace the slide.
I am not a gunsmith and not sure, of how the dovetail(??) of the slide is made if it is polarized for sight direction if the sight is uniform in design or is it "keyed" somehow which a cheap fix is to "put it in reversed" I truly am hoping someone knows if the orientation of the site really matters based on the design of the site.

And people wonder why we love our Glocks... [smile]

I think someone told me "don't go chasing a gun" why is it that the "glock" logic is making more and more sense.

I think someone told me "don't go chasing a gun" why is it that the "glock" logic is making more and more sense.

Actually my friend- I said "Don't be chasing a gun just to help you along in IDPA. It's best to stick with one gun and remain focused on training." Which I fully believe. However if you are not confident in a gun and you are having problems- it can be counter productive. I'd give it another go and if they can't get it right I'd be inclined to switch to something else. But what do I know.... my Glock just works. I have no one to blame but myself.

Took it back out tonight for the WPR practice... After a fine day at HSC club match I was thinking GTG other than backwards sight..

Well........

It now is drifting to the right.... Yaaup... Before it went left, S&W "fixed it" put it on backwards now it goes right.....

Wow.
Disappointing.

UPDATE

Got my M&P Pro 9MM back the other day.. Shoot it today at the IDPA match at HSC... WELL... I was noticing something odd, and then verified this with some other M&P Pro's that were there..

Smith put the front site on backwards....

I am not a gunsmith by any means but is there any advantage for them doing a "cheap fix" if for some reason the front site would fit more tightly backwards? The sight is also now "canted" and just not overall straight...

3 M&P Pro's mine is on the left.

I find it rather disappointing that S&W continues to have quality control issues with the front fiber optic sights. I posted that on my M&P9 Pro the front sight was so loose you could slide it back and forth in the dovetail with your finger. However, I contacted S&W customer support and they had me return the gun back to them and they repaired it correctly and gave me an additional magazine free of charge. I wonder why they're having such problems?

I'd sell mine but it just looks so damn good. I wanna go home right now and fondle it.

I have it reliable now...but I'm still shooting with my Glock.

wbqkv9.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom