• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Restricted LTC-A on Concealment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be getting my LTC class A with a restriction on concealment. How should I transport a handgun in the car with out violating the restriction? Can I keep it in a canter of mass type safe with the mag removed while transporting in the car? Can I have it loaded, under my direct control in a holster while in the car, and then place it in a safe with the mag removed when I get out to go into a store or something? My interviewing officer said I could technically open carry on foot, but obviously strongly advised against it. Any help would be appreciated, since the laws in this state are so messed up.

In MA, if you do not have it in concealed carry, it must be unloaded in a locked container. This would fall under the transporting section of the law.

Yes, technically in MA open carry is NOT illegal. However because of how the licensing laws are written, your CoP can use any excuse he wants to pull your license. The wonderful "suitability" clause.

In this great state a man walking around with a gun is immediately assumed to be a madman only out to do harm, and not a law abiding citizen wanting to protect himself and others. A single phone call can easily result in you losing your 2A RIGHTS in the commonwealth.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

The interviewing officer said my license will say "Restriction: No Concealed Carry".

Bizarre. I mean, I'm never going to be surprised at the offal pouring out of any given COP, but I must say, I've never heard of a restriction that said "No concealed carry." Now, very common is a B license which prevents concealed carry. OR an A license with a Target/Hunting Restriction which prevents CC, I've just never heard that particular wording. No one else here has either whih is why your getting all the confused posts.

It does seem strange to me too. So I guess I should look at it as a class B with the ability to buy large capacity firearms?[thinking]

It does seem strange to me too. So I guess I should look at it as a class B with the ability to buy large capacity firearms?[thinking]

I guess so.

Actually, what I think is that when you get it, it will be a Class A with a Hunting/Target restriction and the officer who told you that will be nowhere around and you'll walk out and think, "huh, whadaya know? The CoP didn't really understand the law."

Of course that may be the first time you think that. It won't be the last.

I'm really confused( no comments from the peanut gallory)...

Is it the concencess that he is getting..for all intensive purposes a CLASS B..? We need one of our fine lawyers to help here!

Bizarre. I mean, I'm never going to be surprised at the offal pouring out of any given COP, but I must say, I've never heard of a restriction that said "No concealed carry." Now, very common is a B license which prevents concealed carry. OR an A license with a Target/Hunting Restriction which prevents CC, I've just never heard that particular wording.

My LTC A from Boston says: "Sport/Target No Conceal Carry". Sucks but there's no way around it unless you know someone or own a business.

"Sport/Target No Conceal Carry"

My LTC A from Boston says: "Sport/Target No Conceal Carry". Sucks but there's no way around it unless you know someone or own a business.

I have the same. Recently moved to Boston from NY and got the LTC-A with "Sport/Target No Conceal Carry." Odd state where you can have a License to Carry Firearms, marked with the restriction that you may not carry firearms.

As noted above (and in many other threads), you must transport unloaded in a locked box in the trunk. Not sure whether you can legally leave a pistol in your trunk when you go to WMT to buy ammo on the way to the range, but I don't think it's a great idea.

I think you need to wait until the actual license comes in, read the actual wording of the restriction on it and then worry. Ive never heard of a no conceilment class A restriction before.

Sorry, to be clear: I have the LTC in hand. It is marked "Sport/Target No Conceal Carry." This appears to be the new standard for Boston.

I agree that 97serpent needs to see the actual wording before making decisions, however I believe that transportation will remain the same, ragardless of whether the restriction is "Sport / Target" or "No Concealed Carry."

no concealed carry” restriction not legit

I have it on good authority that there is no such thing as a “no concealed carry” restriction, and that the locals are implementing restrictions that do not exist.

It is a license to “License to Carry Firearms” and the license clearly states that right on the front and interestingly you cannot edit, or blackout, or modify that term when you print the license.

I don’t know what the intent of the “Restrictions” field is but if someone can explain to me how a “License to Carry Firearms” is not a license to carry firearms in reasonable and legally binding terms, then step up, otherwise it would be my assumption that the “Restrictions” field is intended for something else. Maybe related to caliber (i.e. no 12 gauge or 45-70 pistols) or revolver vs semi auto (remember the people who write these things do know the a 500 S&W has more knockdown power than say a nasty lookin 45,,,) who knows what they were thinking.

Maybe we can get someone to verify this, but as I said I have in on good authority from someone in LE that “no concealed carry” restrictions are not legit. Now whether or not you have the gazillions of $$ that it would take to hire a lawyer and fight it is another story.

It the same ago old story, do we fight these things as a group, do we just lay down and take it, or do we just throw in the towel and move to NH,,,

My guess is that we will do anything but fight it,,, but then I’m pretty cynical (though I would really like to be proved wrong on this one)

GH

I have it on good authority that there is no such thing as a “no concealed carry” restriction, and that the locals are implementing restrictions that do not exist.

It is a license to “License to Carry Firearms” and the license clearly states that right on the front and interestingly you cannot edit, or blackout, or modify that term when you print the license.

I don’t know what the intent of the “Restrictions” field is but if someone can explain to me how a “License to Carry Firearms” is not a license to carry firearms in reasonable and legally binding terms, then step up, otherwise it would be my assumption that the “Restrictions” field is intended for something else. Maybe related to caliber (i.e. no 12 gauge or 45-70 pistols) or revolver vs semi auto (remember the people who write these things do know the a 500 S&W has more knockdown power than say a nasty lookin 45,,,) who knows what they were thinking.

Maybe we can get someone to verify this, but as I said I have in on good authority from someone in LE that “no concealed carry” restrictions are not legit. Now whether or not you have the gazillions of $$ that it would take to hire a lawyer and fight it is another story.

It the same ago old story, do we fight these things as a group, do we just lay down and take it, or do we just throw in the towel and move to NH,,,

My guess is that we will do anything but fight it,,, but then I’m pretty cynical (though I would really like to be proved wrong on this one)

GH

Oh boy...

I'm not even sure where to begin here. Let's start by sitting you down.

We have a lot of ground to cover. Do you have some snacks...perhaps some beverages? This is going to take a while.

It just amazes me how many gray areas there are in the gun laws. I can protect myself and my fiancee in my home but I can't when I step outside.

Start reading MGL until you find the part about how the issuing authority can revoke or suspend permits based on a violation of restrictions. There may be a fine or other penalties as well... although, IIRC, this is only a civil infraction, but if you intend on living in MA and owning guns, getting caught violating the restriction can be problematic... as no permit = no legal gun ownership in MA. I don't have chapter and verse on hand, but it's only been discussed on the forum a few thousand times or so. [grin]

Another thing to keep in mind- the punishment for this infraction is basically "administrative" which means it can't easily be fought in court- eg, so there is no legal due process performed.... the chief/IA can toilet your license without the approval of a judge or jury.

FWIW, years ago the term "Restrictions" was "Reason For Issuance" or something to that effect, and legally speaking, there was considerable ambiguity within that term, that "sorta" worked in our favor a little bit... but that isn't the case anymore, and a restriction is a restriction, not a reason for issuance.

-Mike

I think you need to wait until the actual license comes in, read the actual wording of the restriction on it and then worry. Ive never heard of a no conceilment class A restriction before.
Now you have.

My LTC-A says "Restrictions: SPORT/TARGET NO CONCEAL CARRY"

Oh boy...

We have a lot of ground to cover. Do you have some snacks...perhaps some beverages? This is going to take a while.

LOL, I'm listening, but I dont have much faith that I'm going to be convinced that the law makers and “their enforcers” and I are likely to see eye to eye on this issue.

And so if someone can explain why some towns “ONLY” issue LTC without restrictions and others make up their own and then convince me that its reasonable and legitimate,,,, well then I will be drinking the kool-aid,,,

I think Charlton Hestons line from Planet of the Apes said it best; “it’s a mad house”

Sad but true,,,

gh

Oh boy...

Start reading MGL until you find the part about how the issuing authority can revoke or suspend permits based on a violation of restrictions. There may be a fine or other penalties as well... although, IIRC, this is only a civil infraction, but if you intend on living in MA and owning guns, getting caught violating the restriction can be problematic... as no permit = no legal gun ownership in MA. I don't have chapter and verse on hand, but it's only been discussed on the forum a few thousand times or so. [grin]

Another thing to keep in mind- the punishment for this infraction is basically "administrative" which means it can't easily be fought in court- eg, so there is no legal due process performed.... the chief/IA can toilet your license without the approval of a judge or jury.

FWIW, years ago the term "Restrictions" was "Reason For Issuance" or something to that effect, and legally speaking, there was considerable ambiguity within that term, that "sorta" worked in our favor a little bit... but that isn't the case anymore, and a restriction is a restriction, not a reason for issuance.

-Mike

I did read the MGL, and it didnt say anything about LTC's that wern't LTC's.

It does say the following: "(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity weapons, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles and shotguns as it deems proper. A violation of a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation."

So again, if you can explain how a "License to Carry Firearms" carries a restriction that you cannot carry a firearm, well then we will have created a new depth to the english language,,,

Unfortunately thats also why I said "Now whether or not you have the gazillions of $$ that it would take to hire a lawyer and fight it is another story".

So its catch 22,,, or move to NH!

GH

Now you have.

My LTC-A says "Restrictions: SPORT/TARGET NO CONCEAL CARRY"

Right but..

There is a difference between that, and the only restriction being no concieled carry, which would imply that it would be ok to carry openly, which is not really allowed in this state. know what I mean?

-Jon

Right but..

There is a difference between that, and the only restriction being no concieled carry, which would imply that it would be ok to carry openly, which is not really allowed in this state. know what I mean?

-Jon

Can you imagine a local issuing authority telling you that they put a restriction on your LTC that would not allow you to carry concealed but that they were ok with you carrying in the open,,, And that they could further ensure that was acceptable to the other police forces and the state police in MA,,, Now that would almost be worth the restriction,,, almost,,,

gh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom