• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington R51

Updated Remington R51 size comparison chart

Glock-42-vs-R51.png

These specs are off:

According to wiki:

Weight 22 oz (0.62 kg) [1]
Length 6.6 in (17 cm)
Barrel length 3.4 in (8.6 cm)
Width 1.0 in (2.5 cm)
Height 4.6 in (12 cm)

Well damnit.

Why can't a company make a gun right on the first try that also looks good?

Need more reviews.

Beat's the crap out of me, I just don't like 1911s because they're not east to take apart and the muzzle flip. Oh that and you have half the capacity of a normal pistol in the 21st Century.

Nice trigger pull can't be beat though.

Muzzle flip= bitch grip lol jk.

How is a 1911 hard to take apart. On my r1 I just slide it back and pull the slide release out . Half the time I don't even remove the guide rod cap befor I remove the slide.

Muzzle flip= bitch grip lol jk.

How is a 1911 hard to take apart. On my r1 I just slide it back and pull the slide release out . Half the time I don't even remove the guide rod cap befor I remove the slide.

Ben,

Nobody said it was hard to take apart, but it is harder to field strip than say a Sig or an M&P. You've never been hit in the eye or had to look for the recoil spring plug [laugh]

Ben,

Nobody said it was hard to take apart, but it is harder to field strip than say a Sig or an M&P. You've never been hit in the eye or had to look for the recoil spring plug [laugh]

Lol I was being a smart ass .
I did shoot the guid rod cap across the room one time .
Most people fight with the bushing not realizing of a tight fitted gun if you pull the slide back 1/4-1/2 inch the bushing spins free.

Has Jeff ever given a bad review? :)

They love everything, but their videos/photos do sometimes provide more information than is often available anywhere else when new guns come out. Look at his left hand in that video -- you can see slide tracks.

I can't figure out how I missed this thread. Anyway.......

This gun is GORGEOUS!! I LOVE Art Deco design, and I'm glad that Remington updated the original so well----at least in looks. Hopefully it's performance is great, and if not, I am going to learn gunsmithing anyway and I will figure out how to hot-rod it.

Can't wait and since I am moving over the border, I don't care about MA compliance. I guess I will take home an R51 and a Springfield XD to celebrate my move.

And I am surprised at the amount of people who don't like the design. So is there an NES Avalanche/Aztek Owners Society I don't know about? [laugh]

Marsha would never let us have these because we might get hurt. We always appreciate you looking out for us though. Did you see Jeff's mutilated left hand? Ouch!

I don't know about it being "gorgeous", but it seems like a great shooter, is 9mm para and not 380, and is under an inch wide. Has all that I would want for a summer, light clothing packer. I absolutely want one. As a prisoner of the People's Republic I am left to wonder if I ever will be ALLOWED to own one.

- - - Updated - - -

Which would make the R51 heavier, wider and longer than the Shield, PM9,,LC9....

But with no plastic, a lower point/shoot axis (less flip/recoil), and way less trigger travel. I am willing to make the trade for 3oz, and 1/10 inch width all day.

... But with no plastic, a lower point/shoot axis (less flip/recoil), and way less trigger travel. I am willing to make the trade for 3oz, and 1/10 inch width all day.

Well put! That, and it is actually not a camry/accord/corolla/sentra/civic clone type of plastic gun, and actually looks decent.

But with no plastic, a lower point/shoot axis (less flip/recoil), and way less trigger travel. I am willing to make the trade for 3oz, and 1/10 inch width all day.

That's what you think, but it might not pan out that way on the ground. This gun unlocks weirdly compared to a browning type action, which can change the perception of felt recoil. None of those guns that DRB mentioned really have what I would call "high bore axis" to begin with. Although there is no doubt in my mind, that if the R51 is functional, it would basically put the LC9 into a permanent dirtnap, but that really wouldn't take much... the LC9 is an absolutely terrible handgun.

-Mike

For those wondering,

I called up my local shop and was told this is not yet available in MA. Hopefully it will be before long but you never know here.

- - - Updated - - -

There are far more factors that determine perceived recoil than listed simply in your explanation. "Plastic" has little to do with the equation in terms of recoil, as a well balanced properly sprung polymer pistol can actually have as good or better recoil characteristics than aluminum or steel frame pistols. From my experience with the R51, it's a trade you will regret making. Many of the comments from early hands on range time have actually been to the contrary in terms of recoil. I know of more than one shop that placed zero orders for them after getting to shoot one

I laugh at the fact that the single biggest "draw" to this pistol is its looks... It's a damn defensive pistol, who gives a shit what it looks like?!

Last edited:
Looks like Remington is trying to make it right now. TFB posted the press release. Remington reworked the manufacturing and is going to reissue in Oct/Nov. Before general sale, they are replacing all previous guns with brand new ones, plus two additional mags and custom Pelican cases...Be interesting to see how they do.

Aloha

Why in the world they would release the gun when it was obviously not ready is just beyond me. What a great way to step on the corporate dingus.

The article says that Remington is blaming difference in prototypes and manufactured versions. Sounds like the design was solid, the manufacturing process and the QC on the line guns was crap....

Aloha

Back
Top Bottom