• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington 700 Rebarrel Question

A friend gifted me a lefty(I’m a lefty) Remington 700 in 280 Remington. This cartridge is pretty hard to find and factory loads are pricey. I was wondering how much it would cost to rebarrel this rifle to a more common caliber like 308 or 30-06? Could I just buy a new barrel directly from Remington and give it to a gunsmith for the rebarrel work?

I wouldn’t bother buying a factory barrel. Waste of money there

I just rebarelled a R700 myself with a Criterion Remage barrel and nut from Northland. Less than $500.

The .280 is a great but under-appreciated cartridge, but it's true that ammo is not often found at Walmart. If you plan to do a lot of target shooting and burn lots of ammo reloading is your best bet. If it's going to be a hunting rifle, have your local FFL order a few boxes and you'll be set for years. Your rifle is a long-action, so .270, .30-06 barrels would work, but .308 might be tricky, as it's a shorter case. Personally, I'd leave it alone and reload for it.

The .280 is a great but under-appreciated cartridge, but it's true that ammo is not often found at Walmart. If you plan to do a lot of target shooting and burn lots of ammo reloading is your best bet. If it's going to be a hunting rifle, have your local FFL order a few boxes and you'll be set for years. Your rifle is a long-action, so .270, .30-06 barrels would work, but .308 might be tricky, as it's a shorter case. Personally, I'd leave it alone and reload for it.
I do have a single stage reloading press, just have to set it up and source primers. I’m kind of on the fence about a rebarell because I’ve read it’s a good cartridge.

The Criterion Remage rebarrel is a viable option. However unless you know someone with tools to get old barrel off, it doesn’t make economic sense to buy them for one barrel. I suggest getting two boxes of ammo, checking if you like caliber and if current barrel is accurate enough for your uses stay with it. You can buy a lot of ammo for cost of a new barrel

A friend gifted me a lefty(I’m a lefty) Remington 700 in 280 Remington. This cartridge is pretty hard to find and factory loads are pricey. I was wondering how much it would cost to rebarrel this rifle to a more common caliber like 308 or 30-06? Could I just buy a new barrel directly from Remington and give it to a gunsmith for the rebarrel work?
I have a new take-off R700 Varmint heavy contour 26" bbl in 308 if interested.

280 Remington, or the old "7mm Expess". Great round. You can buy a few hundred rounds of special-order 280 ammo for what it would cost to rebarrel.

Back
Top Bottom