Remington R51

The few original Remington 51's I've seen were about the size of a Colt 1903/1908. This would make them somewhere in size between a Walther PP and a S&W 3913. The guns were pocket pistols, but remember pockets in men's trousers were deeper and men's clothing cut fuller back in the day.

Queen - thanks. I hadn't seen that posting yet. Interesting that Tactical Triangle pulled their comparison. Definitely takes some of the shine off but I'll wait and see if it meets my requirements.

Mark - I've discovered that the pockets in slacks from LLBean are deep enough for a Colt 1903. Using a pocket holster from Simply Rugged. ;-)

Aloha

Not a "pocket pistol" like Remington is marketing as. It's just a cool replica. Meh, it could be worse but I don't know. Better than the new Glock 42 for sure. If you need 380, the Kahr P380 is slimmer and more reliable. They need a single stack 9!

Don't quite understand your post. Unlike the original, the new R51 is chambered for 9mm with a. .40 planned.

I called Remington this morning and they said they currently have no plans to submit the gun to the state for testing to make the gun Mass compliant.... so this gun will not be coming to Massachusetts through dealers.
Good thing too, because if Marsha can't test it, there's no hope of it being safe for us to lockup in our safes.

I called Remington this morning and they said they currently have no plans to submit the gun to the state for testing to make the gun Mass compliant.... so this gun will not be coming to Massachusetts through dealers.
Good thing too, because if Marsha can't test it, there's no hope of it being safe for us to lockup in our safes.

While I wouldn't hold my breath, saying they currently have no plans doesn't mean they won't bring it to MA ever. They brought their 1911 here.

>>I called Remington this morning and they said they currently have no plans to submit the gun to the state for testing to make the gun Mass compliant.<<

Good for them! (but bad for you)

My guess is they don't want to gay it up too much.

Marsha has nothing to do with EOPS testing. Only the CMR940 BS, but I'm guessing that's what remington is fearing in this case....

-Mike

TTAG has reviewed the R51 and they're not approving.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51/

I think this'll sell for three reasons: it's a Remington and many people simply like Big Green, it'll probably be for sale @ $350, $375, and it's mag is small enough to comply with ban states that don't have testing req's.

Personally I'd have to handle and take one apart before I judged. But TTAG says this thing has bad slide bite and is extremely hard to re-assemble.

Beat's the crap out of me, I just don't like 1911s because they're not east to take apart and the muzzle flip. Oh that and you have half the capacity of a normal pistol in the 21st Century.

Well, at least you freely admit you don't have a clue of what your talking about.

Still not really sure what the intrigue with this pistol is. It has overall not faired well by those testing and reviewing and comes from a company with suspect customer service practices.

You might as well buy a Hi-Point

Well, at least you freely admit you don't have a clue of what your talking about. Still not really sure what the intrigue with this pistol is. It has overall not faired well by those testing and reviewing and comes from a company with suspect customer service practices. You might as well buy a Hi-Point

I own a Sig Sauer P229, an M&P .45 and a Browning Hi-Power as well as several 1911's. Of the lot, the 1911's are the hardest to field strip, and yes I know how to detail strip a Series 70.

On this particular topic, what makes you the spokesperson? Opinions are like rectums, everyone has one and they all smell [cheers]

I own a Sig Sauer P229, an M&P .45 and a Browning Hi-Power as well as several 1911's. Of the lot, the 1911's are the hardest to field strip, and yes I know how to detail strip a Series 70.

On this particular topic, what makes you the spokesperson? Opinions are like rectums, everyone has one and they all smell [cheers]

You are free to express your opinion as was the OP... Not sure what the OP's comment had to do with the R51 but hey, no skin off my back.

I would question just about anyone that said they have a problem managing the recoil of a 1911 as it's pretty tame, and seeing as how there are plenty of 1911 platforms that offer in excess of 15-17 rounds seems a little uniformed for such a broad statement of how they have yet to reach the 21st century, no? I can't speak to the difficulty of field stripping a 1911, it is certainly not a Glock or M&P if that's what you mean.... I have never considered it problematic or challenging, but to each his own

As I HAD said in my post, what does this have to do with the R51?

Last edited:
Beat's the crap out of me, I just don't like 1911s because they're not east to take apart and the muzzle flip. Oh that and you have half the capacity of a normal pistol in the 21st Century.

Nice trigger pull can't be beat though.

1911 muzzle flip? Wut?

Updated Remington R51 size comparison chart

Glock-42-vs-R51.png

Back
Top Bottom