• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington R51

I still think its done. You can get away with having a bad run here or there but the entire launch of the R51 was been a raging dumpster fire, with burning turds in said dumpster. If they keep it around it'll take years to be trusted. Right now if i did a survey i bet most handgun enthusiasts woukd take a Keltec P11 or a SCCY CPX 1 over this POS. (and i think those guns are shit, but id trust either one over the R51 at this point.)

You seem to discount the value of a pretty face. I know two casual shooters who intend to buy one just to fart around with. At less than $400 with 4 mags, its a deal, if it runs.

Also, I don't think even Remington would half ass this product launch. They really have to deliver here.

You seem to discount the value of a pretty face. I know two casual shooters who intend to buy one just to fart around with. At less than $400 with 4 mags, its a deal, if it runs.

Yeah it might be around as a bastard child gun I guess (EG, like the Walther PPK or whatever) but it's done. The new safety-less shield, and probably the LC9s, will destroy this thing. Particularly given that S&W and Ruger have figured out that there's a market for the non-retard versions of these two guns. Not to mention you got the Kahr CW/P/PM series that has already been in this segment. "Cuz its metal" is not enough to save the thing.

On a good day (assuming they make it a non-pos) the R51 will end up like the Beretta .45 Cougar. That gun that a few people think is cool, but nobody actually buys.

-Mike

Last edited:
Yeah it might be around as a bastard child gun I guess (EG, like the Walther PPK or whatever) but it's done. The new safety-less shield, and probably the LC9s, will destroy this thing. Particularly given that S&W and Ruger have figured out that there's a market for the non-retard versions of these two guns. Not to mention you got the Kahr CW/P/PM series that has already been in this segment. "Cuz its metal" is not enough to save the thing.

On a good day (assuming they make it a non-pos) the R51 will end up like the Beretta .45 Cougar. That gun that a few people think is cool, but nobody actually buys.

-Mike

You're underestimating the power of YouTube reviews. If the revised model works, and nutnfancy, Hickok45, MAC, etc... test the gun and it runs, and gets their seal of approval, then it will sell.

If the dog won't hunt, then I'll agree with you and the R51 will be remembered as one big costly mistake.

You're underestimating the power of YouTube reviews. If the revised model works, and nutnfancy, Hickok45, MAC, etc... test the gun and it runs, and gets their seal of approval, then it will sell.

If the dog won't hunt, then I'll agree with you and the R51 will be remembered as one big costly mistake.

True, they have the credibility since it was the youtubers and bloggosphere that called out the R51 in the first place. After the dead tree media raved about it.

Don

Sounds like they have the definition of "Low Tolerance Part" & "High Tolerance Part" backwards......
Maybe they need a Six-Sigma Black Belt Quality Ninja with all kinds of fascinating charts & Powerpoints?[wink]

Sounds like they have the definition of "Low Tolerance Part" & "High Tolerance Part" backwards......
Maybe they need a Six-Sigma Black Belt Quality Ninja with all kinds of fascinating charts & Powerpoints?[wink]

I suffered through that at Pfizer back about 6 years ago. Ugh. When they brought in GE's top lawyer, Jeff Kindler to be their CEO he brought in all his own VPs, along with their obsession with Six-Sigma.

The whole zero defect culture is great if you are building jet engines or even manufacturing drugs. But it infiltrated into the discovery and research groups. If you wanted to get ahead, you got a black belt. Or at least you appeared to be working on your black belt. I worked on many useless projects that were part of someone's blackbelt program.

Here's the ridiculousness. Discovery REQUIRES that you make mistakes, regroup and move ahead. If you strive for zero defects, then you are disincented from taking risks and trying to do crazy, disruptive things. It was just just terrible. But I guess, in gun making, striving for zero defects is a good thing.

Don

Also, freedom group. They seem adept at ruining brands. I hope Remington gets sold off to some other investors before it gets completely ruined.

-Mike

"Tolerance stacking problem?" Frankly it sounds like poor design or quality control in production. Tolerance stacking, at least from the description, seems like something that should happen in a small number of guns. Just as a very small number of guns should be right on spec and function perfectly.

Ask Lin McAdam or Dutch Henry Brown.

Yea, you are supposed to look at those tolerance stacks BEFORE you start MAKING the gun. Gives me the willies that they are saying that was the problem. If true, they can keep it - That thing is fugly anyway. The LC9S is way more attractive if you like that retro curvy look and probably a lot more reliable.

Since I watched the RP9 video earlier, I figured I'd check on his review of the Gen2 R51.

Remington did attempt to remedy all the problems with the first R51, but they created a new set if issues in the process.

Verdict: Still a piece of shyte.

And to think Remington actually tried to market this to women.

[Instead of trying to resurrect an old mechanical action, they should have just designed a striker-fired handgun that looked like this.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom