• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading 223

What did you have to do to the Dillon powder measure to gain consistency?
I posted it in reloading forum somewhere, it should be searchable.
On a mountain lodge now, so, can’t post pictures.
I took off rod that pulls it on 750, using rubber band instead, got micrometer installed, then used paint layers on a bar to take out gaps between housing and a bar.

I do similar prep for cases, though I have started annealing. I was highly resistant to annealing for many years, given that it was either a PITA to do on the cheap or required very expensive equipment. Once I found the 'Ugly Annealer' (thread link below) I am annealing as soon as 1 or two times fired from new. I am feeling a much more consistent force when sizing and the chrony results are statistically better. I'm getting more loads into the single SD and low to mid teens for ES. I am now one of the annealing koolaid drinkers.

When loading I'll go quick and dirty for iron sight 200 yards or less matches but beyond that I'll take the time to carefully prep cases and weigh charges. For the 600 yard stuff I'll sort projectiles depending on the brand. Sierra, Hornady (only use if no other choices), Nosler- yes. Berger and Lapua- generally I don't bother to sort.

Actually I'll prep cases no matter what, as I usually get many reloads on a single case. I tend to favor loads that don't push the brass to hard as long as the groups are tight.

Ugly Annealer
I tested some triple reloaded sets agains once reloaded and sd was same almost, so I kinda in a denial camp for now. That ugly gizmo is nice, I remember you posting about it. Good to know you still like it.

I tested some triple reloaded sets agains once reloaded and sd was same almost, so I kinda in a denial camp for now. That ugly gizmo is nice, I remember you posting about it. Good to know you still like it.
Still like it. I noticed much higher seating force required for brass that had been reloaded a few times. Annealing brought it back to new level.

Taking a 1/2" tapered reamer to a Dillon powder die and then polishing it will eliminate all bridging.
I dump all my 600 yard loads on my Dillon 650.
Counting individual kernels may make a person feel better about the accuracy of their load, but I doubt it could proven on a target.

Taking a 1/2" tapered reamer to a Dillon powder die and then polishing it will eliminate all bridging.
I dump all my 600 yard loads on my Dillon 650.
Counting individual kernels may make a person feel better about the accuracy of their load, but I doubt it could proven on a target.
My powder measure is a PITA for most powders but particularly for stick powders, even short sticks like Varget.

I'm using an RCBS comp powder drop. I find it is pretty consistent even with stick powders.

I don't shoot long distance often enough to need to speed up my process.

I just shipped out a large flat rate USPS box full of once fired 223 brass to be fully processed. About 2400ish cases. The thought of me doing that case prep by hand makes me 🤮
Especially now with a 1 year old I would never have the time unless I did it after the gym and before I get up for work. So like between 11pm-7am and over several nights 😳

$127 including shipping both ways. This probably wouldn’t make a lot of sense for guys shooting thousands upon thousands of rounds per year

I'm using an RCBS comp powder drop. I find it is pretty consistent even with stick powders.

I don't shoot long distance often enough to need to speed up my process.
looks well made. I run a Lee perfect powder measure for stick powders which works really well. But it feels flimsy as hell then again it was $25 😂
That RCBS looks really nice.

Something interesting we learned yesterday with my wife's AR. She had excellent accuracy with 55gr with brass casings. 55gr with steel casings is a totally different story. I'm guessing the steel is not expanding enough?????

Mine with the steel casings; forget about it. Lots of fun to just let a bunch of rounds fly. Aiming at a small red dot not so much.

I need to shoot some of the 69gr to determine if it is better or worse than the 75 I was using. Then I will try some of my own loads. Regardless, just good fun.

Wait until Christmas. Got my wife a vortex viper 6-24 scope. She'll be wanting to shoot to 600 meters once we get that in her rifle 😁
Love hearing of spouses shooting together. Don't keep us waiting too long. And, is that a factory engraving on that Henry? Looks nice.
Looking forward to hearing of her response to her present. Matt

Last edited:
Love hearing of spouses shooting together. Don't keep us waiting too long. And, is that a factory engraving on that Henry? Looks nice.
Looking forward to hearing of her response to her present. Matt
I believe you are referring to the 22lr. Yes, that is the Silver Eagle by Henry. I wanted one for the longest time. I think I waited two years to find one in stock. It's a stunning gun.

Still like it. I noticed much higher seating force required for brass that had been reloaded a few times. Annealing brought it back to new level.
I just tried annealing for the first time, just used a socket in a drill to hold and spin the brass in front of the flame, dropped them into a coffee can full of water.

I have a batch of 50 2011 LC brass that's on I think it's 4th firing and noticed when resizing that the force pulling down past the expander ball was very inconsistent. Hoping that annealing will tidy up the large SD numbers I've been getting.

I just tried annealing for the first time, just used a socket in a drill to hold and spin the brass in front of the flame, dropped them into a coffee can full of water.

I have a batch of 50 2011 LC brass that's on I think it's 4th firing and noticed when resizing that the force pulling down past the expander ball was very inconsistent. Hoping that annealing will tidy up the large SD numbers I've been getting.
Do you anneal before resizing?

Do you anneal before resizing?
I actually just decided to try it based on what I was reading in this thread. I had a batch I'd already deprimed and resized, trimmed, chamfered, and was getting ready to throw them back in the tumbler to clean the resizing lube off. But when I was resizing, the effort to pull them back down past the ball was noticeably inconsistent. So I annealed them, then ran them through the tumbler, and just out of curiosity ran them each back up into the resizing die just far enough to run the necks over the ball again. They felt much more consistent, but... they'd also already been resized.

I guess next time I'll try annealing them before resizing.

I'm just experimenting here. Fairly proficient at loading pistol rounds, but still pretty new to reloading rifle rounds.

I actually just decided to try it based on what I was reading in this thread. I had a batch I'd already deprimed and resized, trimmed, chamfered, and was getting ready to throw them back in the tumbler to clean the resizing lube off. But when I was resizing, the effort to pull them back down past the ball was noticeably inconsistent. So I annealed them, then ran them through the tumbler, and just out of curiosity ran them each back up into the resizing die just far enough to run the necks over the ball again. They felt much more consistent, but... they'd also already been resized.

I guess next time I'll try annealing them before resizing.

I'm just experimenting here. Fairly proficient at loading pistol rounds, but still pretty new to reloading rifle rounds.

Should annealing be done before or after resizing?
Annealing should always be done before resizing. This eliminates spring back, and ensures repeatable and accurate shoulder bumping and neck sizing. Annealing should be done every reload.

Umm, I don't think annealing helps accuracy at all; it prolongs the life of the brass with less split necks after the third or fourth reloading.

Umm, I don't think annealing helps accuracy at all; it prolongs the life of the brass with less split necks after the third or fourth reloading.
May just be correlated not a cause, but I have seen lower ES's with Lapua and Starline brass now that I'm annealing.

Well, that's a measurable difference.
Has there been a difference on your targets?
Yes, tighter groups off the bench for 6 ARC, 308, and 30-06. Higher scores in vintage sniper competition with the 30-06 as well as in CMP games with my M14 (308). I'm sure there's a combination of factors but annealing seems to help. Some of my sets of brass had several reloads and were getting a bit hard.

Interesting. Do you think it helped with eliminating elevation issues?
Actually yes! My groups always had a vertical spread that was almost always worse than the horizontal spread. In my irons only days I attributed it to losing focus on the front sight, changes in light, eyes getting tired, etc. Started to see this with optics as well, so aging eyes were not the entire story. Annealing seems to have helped a little.

If you are already destroying the X-ring and only reusing brass 1X, I doubt you'd see much improvement from annealing. But if you are placing shots all over the 10-ring it might help to keep more shots on the X-ring as it did for me. I won a J.C. Garand Match with a high X-count. Actually 1st through 3rd place all had the same score w/ the ties broken by X-count.

I don't see it as a game changer, but it does seem to help with tightening up the vertical spread.

I'm trying out a pet IMR3031 load to compare to previous firings with non-annealed brass, and trying another couple of powders with everything else held constant.
LC 2011 brass previously fired in this rifle, shoulder bumped back 0.001" in a Redding full length die, trimmed to 1.760"
24.7g IMR 3031, CCI #400, 50g Hornady Vmax @ 2.260"
24.5g A2230, CCI #400, 50g Hornady Vmax @ 2.260"
25.5g H335, CCI #400, 50g Hornady Vmax @ 2.260"

These will go through a heavy barrel 20" Tikka T3 when the rain lets up.

Last edited:
I'm trying out a pet IMR3031 load to compare to previous firings with non-annealed brass, and trying another couple of powders with everything else held constant.
LC 2011 brass previously fired in this rifle, shoulder bumped back 0.001" in a Redding full length die, trimmed to 1.760"
24.7g IMR 3031, CCI #400, 50g Hornady Vmax @ 2.260"
24.5g A2230, CCI #400, 50g Hornady Vmax @ 2.260"
25.5g H335, CCI #400, 50g Hornady Vmax @ 2.260"

These will go through a heavy barrel 20" Tikka T3 when the rain lets up.

View attachment 832545
Had a chance to run them today. I had the chronograph a little too close to the muzzle so only caught two each of the IMR3031 and H335, but it seems like A2230 maybe has less muzzle flash and I caught all five of those. So take the SD numbers with a grain of salt. Tikka T3 1/8 20" barrel.

IMR3031 average 3144, sd 21, high 3159, low 3129, es 30
A2230 average 3116, sd 19, high 3137, low 3086, es 51
H335 average 3160, sd 32, high 3182, low 3137, es 45

100 yards. I really like IMR3031. I don't feel like I pulled any shots here, but I also only had a front rest, no bag under the rear of the stock. Was just using my fist under the toe of the stock for elevation. A better shooter or a more stable setup probably would have tightened these up a bit.

After pulling these down, I went 3 clicks left and vaporized a bunch of water bottles. :)

imr3031.jpg

a2230.jpg

h335.jpg

Last edited:
I just shipped out a large flat rate USPS box full of once fired 223 brass to be fully processed. About 2400ish cases. The thought of me doing that case prep by hand makes me 🤮
Especially now with a 1 year old I would never have the time unless I did it after the gym and before I get up for work. So like between 11pm-7am and over several nights 😳

$127 including shipping both ways. This probably wouldn’t make a lot of sense for guys shooting thousands upon thousands of rounds per year
Ooof this just showed up at my doorstep today. Glad to know everyone at the local USPS knows I have guns…
Should I expect a knock at the door?…hide my dog?…

Kidding aside, this is annoying. Going to email the company to let them know they need to up their packaging game. IMG_3617.jpeg

Ooof this just showed up at my doorstep today. Glad to know everyone at the local USPS knows I have guns…

Kidding aside, this is annoying. Going to email the company to let them know they need to up their packaging game. View attachment 837006
That was the brass you just sent out for processing? Quick turnaround. Missing any?

Kidding aside, this is annoying. Going to email the company to let them know they need to up their packaging game. View attachment 837006

Yep. I've had a few show up like that as well. Friendly with our regular mail carrier and treat him well at Christmas...but every now and then he'll give me the "what the f@ck dude" look when he's struggling with carrying something down my driveway.

BTW, not sure if you know but brass is essentially free at most ranges...get out and shoot more and you won't need to buy it and ship it ;-)

Back
Top Bottom