• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading 223

peterk123

NES Member
This will be a new caliber for me for reloading. Any tips or things I should know? I'm guessing a 224 boat tail. I'm leaning toward 69gr for my 1:8 twist. Any powders you guys feel that work best?

I'm continuing with my goal of getting reliable accuracy at 300 yards or so for coyotes and prairie dogs. Thx Pete

I find that going with a spherical powder (rather than stick) makes for better consistent cartridge charging, I particularly love Varget for .223. I only reload for plinking in bulk so not a sub moa perfectionist.

Sooo much info out there.

Lots of good powders; you just need to figure out what you value more: velocity, precision, metering, SD, temp stable. It’s all a trade space finding the right combination you want.

69gr SMKs are pretty consistently good for precision. For your intended target, light 50-55gr varmint bullets may be a good option to keep it fast and minimize drop. Don’t need a lot for those animals.

Another option to look at is Hornady’s new ELD-VT “Varmint/Target” bullets. They are hollow in the front so they have higher BC for their respective weights. Their .224 62gr option has a .199 G7 BC.

I’d start here for loads and discussion on powders etc.

Johnny’s Reloading Bench on YouTube also tests a bunch of powders for different bullets: https://youtube.com/@JohnnysReloadingBench

I like 77 grain BTHP’s. With a charge of 24 grains of CFE223, loaded to max magazine length. But that’s the load I developed for my hiking rifle. CFE223 really meters well. And burns really clean. Plus is in stock at all my LGS’s

The pain I have with loading .223 is most of the prep process. Deprime, then tumble in S/S media, lube like crazy on a pad, then size. Then through the Dillon super swage, then into the vibrating tumbler full of corn cob media. Then it’s ready to trim, chamfer, prime, and load.

One of the online suppliers a lot of time will have factory 2nd’s of 77grain SMK’s for short money. Worth buying a bag of 500 when they are available

lube like crazy on a pad
i make and sell lubrication adapter for dillon 650/750 that lets you use dry cases right out of a tumbler. makes life an enormously much simpler.

i run a routine in 2 cycles - first i tumble shot brass, then i run it in batch - dillon toolhead has a full size die only in 1st station to deprime and then prime. primed cases are then stored until i get a desire to load them.

second toolhead is set with powder measure, bullet feeder die i make and a bullet seater die. can also run that as a batch, or run it measuring each drop, if i feel like it.

same is done for all calibers i deal with, and it works very well this way on a 750.

Last edited:
The most accurate ammo from my 1:8 twist (.223 Wylde) chambered 20" target AR, and 14.5" Carbine are 53gr Superformance Varmint from Hornady. More accurate than the 68 - 77gr "match" ammo, at least in my guns. I'd try several different loads to see what you and your gun shoot well.

This will be a new caliber for me for reloading. Any tips or things I should know? I'm guessing a 224 boat tail. I'm leaning toward 69gr for my 1:8 twist. Any powders you guys feel that work best?

I'm continuing with my goal of getting reliable accuracy at 300 yards or so for coyotes and prairie dogs. Thx Pete
Hi Peter-

69 to 77 grains will be optimal for that twist rate. For sure I would not go below 60 grains.

I spent much time developing sub-MOA rounds for .223 in 20" barrels and found Benchmark to provide the tightest groups and lowest SD / ES. It meters like water. Varget was next best though it is a PITA to get consistent metering with it.

Hi Peter-

69 to 77 grains will be optimal for that twist rate. For sure I would not go below 60 grains.

I spent much time developing sub-MOA rounds for .223 in 20" barrels and found Benchmark to provide the tightest groups and lowest SD / ES. It meters like water. Varget was next best though it is a PITA to get consistent metering with it.
We were out today at the range shooting at 200 yards. What's interesting is the my wife is shooting a shorter barrel and it loves the 55gr. In the red 2 out of three times. I can't do it in my gun. Used 75 grain and I was right there. I wonder if the length of the barrel actual imparts more spin.

We will get out again tomorrow and go out to 300, unless we go grouse hunting. We kicked up a bunch looking for rabbits today. I just have to figure what type they were because some are now out of season. Oh, and I have to bring the shotgun. I got a question regarding that, but I will post that in the hunting forum.

Thank you and @gene for the powder recommendations.

So this is where we were today with the 22lr lever action. It's a Section of state land. Someone permanently set some metal out there. I could hit the larger one at 235 yards using my iron sights, standing and unsupported. I had to aim like three feet above it. Man is fun doing stupid things like that 😁

20231214_143328.jpg 20231214_143339.jpg 20231214_144355.jpg

I like 77 grain BTHP’s. With a charge of 24 grains of CFE223, loaded to max magazine length. But that’s the load I developed for my hiking rifle. CFE223 really meters well. And burns really clean. Plus is in stock at all my LGS’s

The pain I have with loading .223 is most of the prep process. Deprime, then tumble in S/S media, lube like crazy on a pad, then size. Then through the Dillon super swage, then into the vibrating tumbler full of corn cob media. Then it’s ready to trim, chamfer, prime, and load.

One of the online suppliers a lot of time will have factory 2nd’s of 77grain SMK’s for short money. Worth buying a bag of 500 when they are available
I’m right there with you. Buying a giraud tri-way trimmer was one of the best things I ever did.

That and cutting down a Lyman primer pocket tool to spin in a drill press.

CFE 223 is plentiful(I saw it @Cabelas) and easy to measure.
Start with new brass to ease into it.
If using used brass, you will need to:
  • run through sizing and de-priming the die to set the shoulder
  • form or cut the primer pocket to remove any factory crimping
  • due to 223's shoulder angle, the brass likes to "stretch." Run through the case trimmer to set the correct case length
  • Due to cutting the case mouth, you will need to deburr the case opening.
This is why I suggest new brass if you're just starting to setup your press.

CFE 223 is plentiful(
and cheaper.
price is a huge factor now. varget went up to some quite silly $ amount. $384 now for 8# jug, before fees and hazmat. vs $265 for cfe223.
and ramshot tac is just $226 per 8#.

And a setup- an every caliber i load is done the same way pretty much:
IMG_4412.jpeg

Last edited:
We were out today at the range shooting at 200 yards. What's interesting is the my wife is shooting a shorter barrel and it loves the 55gr. In the red 2 out of three times. I can't do it in my gun. Used 75 grain and I was right there. I wonder if the length of the barrel actual imparts more spin.

We will get out again tomorrow and go out to 300, unless we go grouse hunting. We kicked up a bunch looking for rabbits today. I just have to figure what type they were because some are now out of season. Oh, and I have to bring the shotgun. I got a question regarding that, but I will post that in the hunting forum.

Thank you and @gene for the powder recommendations.

So this is where we were today with the 22lr lever action. It's a Section of state land. Someone permanently set some metal out there. I could hit the larger one at 235 yards using my iron sights, standing and unsupported. I had to aim like three feet above it. Man is fun doing stupid things like that 😁

View attachment 828037View attachment 828038View attachment 828039
Awesome lever gun! I used to have fun lobbing 357's out to 200 yards from a 6" 686.

That shorter barrel is likely a 1/9 twist, which will favor 55's.

Awesome lever gun! I used to have fun lobbing 357's out to 200 yards from a 6" 686.

That shorter barrel is likely a 1/9 twist, which will favor 55's.
Although im having decent luck with 52 gn varmint and 55 gn plinkers out of the 1/8
My cmp beater AR is 1/8 and all I have been using is PPU M193 at the matches.
My NRA 20” AR is 1/8 also which I generally use 77s at mag length its been a good while since I have tried to shoot better than minute of SR target black but I had very little problems getting most good bullets to sub 2 moa with almost any known safe powders for 223. Varget , H4895, TAC with iron sights on a good day., gawd theres so many
I was planning on running these for coyote but never got to it. The bullets did well in my 16” 1:8 heavy barrel . With varget and scope ….moa was not hard to do

Heres what else works good according to my notes:

75 hornady a-max (crazy long thing you have to load to the lands and single feed) 24.1 of reloader 15. One time I managed 1” at 200 yards with this.

77 SMK also with 24.1 of reloader 15, or with 23 of TAC.

CCI 400s all around

Something interesting we learned yesterday with my wife's AR. She had excellent accuracy with 55gr with brass casings. 55gr with steel casings is a totally different story. I'm guessing the steel is not expanding enough?????

Mine with the steel casings; forget about it. Lots of fun to just let a bunch of rounds fly. Aiming at a small red dot not so much.

I need to shoot some of the 69gr to determine if it is better or worse than the 75 I was using. Then I will try some of my own loads. Regardless, just good fun.

Wait until Christmas. Got my wife a vortex viper 6-24 scope. She'll be wanting to shoot to 600 meters once we get that in her rifle 😁

Her
Something interesting we learned yesterday with my wife's AR. She had excellent accuracy with 55gr with brass casings. 55gr with steel casings is a totally different story. I'm guessing the steel is not expanding enough?????

Mine with the steel casings; forget about it. Lots of fun to just let a bunch of rounds fly. Aiming at a small red dot not so much.

I need to shoot some of the 69gr to determine if it is better or worse than the 75 I was using. Then I will try some of my own loads. Regardless, just good fun.

Wait until Christmas. Got my wife a vortex viper 6-24 scope. She'll be wanting to shoot to 600 meters once we get that in her rifle 😁
heres a old thread with some 223 variety from some of us.
Steel case fodder is generally never really that good
I have had some decent batches over the years but moat is 3moa at best.
Heck I have had boxes of wolf with 3 different bullet types in one box and even different powders when I broke some down.
Old Norinco 223 did pretty well in my testing before I ran out.
Wth a 4x16 scope i was getting 1.5” groups with the old yellowish green box 223z

So in a nut shell I have found my best accuracy with 52-60 grain bullets at the upper limits of powder charge
My 69-77 gn loads are near the best accuracy came at that are betwen mid and max powder charges.
A quick comparison of different bullets/ammo

I've had good results with 26.5 gr 2000MR pushing a 77gr bthp seated at 2.550, 2400 fps from a 10.5 barrel. This recipe is a little hot.

If you are hand weighing each charge, I've had good luck with this. 3031 is an extruded powder, so it's not great in a powder measure on a progressive. But I've had the smallest groups and lowest standard deviation using it when trickling up and weighing each charge, of the powders I've used (have not tried Benchmark yet, or 8208). Out of a 16" 1/7 twist barrel I'm getting 3020fps, and V Maxes are pretty great varmint projectiles.

CCI #41
24.7g IMR 3031
50g Hornady V Max seated to 2.260"

If you are using the powder measure on a progressive press, go with a different powder.

If you are working up a number of different loads and are not sure of the powder you will be using, this site can give you a starting point, or you can buy a reloading manual or two.

Subscription for a year is short money and has been helpful for me.

Load data

If you are using stick powder, a powder trickler (you can pay as little or as much as you want) would make a difference if you want to measure every load.

I have a Dillon 650 and when loading IMR 4064 @48 grains (30.06 for garand) the powder measure was/is not really consistent enough. I am checking the powder for each round, so the trickler (set up a little less than desired charge) makes my measurement much quicker.

Loaded thousands with Varget and CFE223. Using CFE primarily now. Had issues with cases getting stuck in my Saint and I had never heard of small base sizing die, so after a friend mentioned, I picked one up. I haven’t loaded any using it but wondering if anyone else had this issue. Same rounds ran great in my other ARs.

Back
Top Bottom