• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Accurate 223 round for 1:8 twist

It really comes down to figuring out what your particular rifle likes. I've got a Ruger Predator in .223 with 1:8 twist, and I've had good luck with 68 grain Hornady BTHP and 77 grain SMK. Both will regularly print sub moa 5 shot groups at 100. It's also OK with 75 grain Hornady, but I haven't worked on delevoping a good load. It doesn not like 69 grain SMK.

Last edited:
I have a boatload of 55 grain. Great for general plinking but I just can't get great accuracy. Not even at a 100 yards. Is the round not getting stabilized and should I be going heavier, like 75 grains?

I'm trying to get the gun to be coyote ready. I always figured 55 grain was good in just about any AR.
55gr and 1:12 twist is God's favored combo.

I have a boatload of 55 grain. Great for general plinking but I just can't get great accuracy. Not even at a 100 yards. Is the round not getting stabilized and should I be going heavier, like 75 grains?

I'm trying to get the gun to be coyote ready. I always figured 55 grain was good in just about any AR.
My 1:9 twist Savage bolt-action handles anything from 40 grains to 69 grains with no problems. Very accurate with M193 and M855. Of all the military and commercial loads that I tested, it seems to perform its best with 53 grain Vmax at about 3,400 fps muzzle velocity.

I think you’re asking a lot of cheap steel cased ammo. You don’t need fancy ammo, just halfway decent brass cased bulk should suffice. Rifle is fine, use good ammo!

It's an AR bro, unless it's a purpose-built target rifle, a minute of bad-guy accuracy has always been good enough for me. Shoot cheap ammo and be happy you can afford to get a hamburger when you're done shooting. Buying expensive ammo to punch holes in paper is fun once in a great while, but I would rather buy cheap and practice more.

If you're hunting with it, different story...

It's an AR bro, unless it's a purpose-built target rifle, a minute of bad-guy accuracy has always been good enough for me. Shoot cheap ammo and be happy you can afford to get a hamburger when you're done shooting. Buying expensive ammo to punch holes in paper is fun once in a great while, but I would rather buy cheap and practice more.

If you're hunting with it, different story...
Thx. Agree, which is why have a bunch of the cheap ammo. Just to have some fun and practice. It is a precision setup though. I wanted an AR that will not just be good for Armageddon, but for predators and varmints. Plus it's fun, and frustrating, to figure out how to get this thing to work at 300 yards or further.

And look, we are actually talking about guns on NES😁

Just got back from the range. I cleaned the barrel this morning. Man was that thing dirty.

Brought 77gr hornady match and 69gr hornady black. Wow what a difference. Probably helped that I had a clean barrel too.

It was close but I think the 69 gr wins. Here is a three shot group. The one above was the 77gr. I had sighted the scope to that round.
20231119_144016.jpg
Thanks for the help. Now to push it out to three hundred next.

Last edited:
Just got back from the range. I cleaned the barrel this morning. Man was that thing dirty.

Brought 77gr hornady match and 69gr hornady black. Wow what a difference. Probably helped that I had a clean barrel too.

It was close but I think the 69 gr wins. Here is a three shot group. The one above was the 77gr. I had sighted the score to that round.
View attachment 818569
so, here is your salvation - try to load up 69 SMK, then 70 nosler CC, then 70 nosler RDF, then 77 nosler RDF.
if using varget - from 23.5gr to 25gr somewhat has to be a sweet spot, usually around 24gr. you may squeeze those groups into 2/3 moa at least.

so, here is your salvation - try to load up 69 SMK, then 70 nosler CC, then 70 nosler RDF, then 77 nosler RDF.
if using varget - from 23.5gr to 25gr somewhat has to be a sweet spot, usually around 24gr. you may squeeze those groups into 2/3 moa at least.
Ha, that's next. I have to look, I think I have the dies to reload 223. That's the next rabbit hole.

And thanks for that data!

20231119_152228.jpg

It was close but I think the 69 gr wins. Here is a three shot group. The one above was the 77gr. I had sighted the scope to that round.
View attachment 818569
I would try decent 55 grain, clean barrel, try to get right groupls at 50, then 100, then stretch out.

The above pic tells me not ready to stretch out further. Pick a zero and stick with it. The three on the writing area are precise but not accurate, assuming that is a grouping. Why is there one hole almost on red above that precise group??

Relax, go back to basics, stop switching ammo. If you dont get decent groups at 50-100 with run of the mill 556 brass, go back to drawing board.

Sometimes decent manufacturers let a fluke of a barrel get through. It can happen.

Also, when zeroing….especially if you’re having issues, start with a box of 20 in Protective packaging. You don’t need to do expensive match ammo!! Bulk 55 brass should get you close, then dial in with even the same brand in the individual packaging….protective of you want to be fancy.

You should be able to dial in irons on any AR in a box of 20, and ring ten inch steel with bulk ammo at 300 yards with ease, in a matter of a half hour….depending on how many times you walk back and forth to zero target.

Also, when zeroing….especially if you’re having issues, start with a box of 20 in Protective packaging. You don’t need to do expensive match ammo!! Bulk 55 brass should get you close, then dial in with even the same brand in the individual packaging….protective of you want to be fancy.

You should be able to dial in irons on any AR in a box of 20, and ring ten inch steel with bulk ammo at 300 yards with ease, in a matter of a half hour….depending on how many times you walk back and forth to zero target.
I will try the bulk ammo again with a clean barrel to determine what role the crap in the barrel played. Plus, prior to yesterday, probably only 20 rounds have been put through this gun. Possibly some breaking in is playing a role. The groups with the 55gr absolutely sucked yesterday.

I will try the bulk ammo again with a clean barrel to determine what role the crap in the barrel played. Plus, prior to yesterday, probably only 20 rounds have been put through this gun. Possibly some breaking in is playing a role. The groups with the 55gr absolutely sucked yesterday.
I dialed in the 4X-12X Nikon on my Savage bolt action .223 rifle to hit dead on at 200 yards. That is a good zero. I am good to 350, which I consider to be the realistic effective range of this rifle. If I need more, I reach for my .270. Bigger bullet, longer range.

You said steel cased, which ‘generally’ indicates crappy foreign plinking ammo. Not always. I shoot a ton of steel cased through all sorts of guns. It’s great for plinking but not the best for accuracy, in general.

Again, I’m pretty sure it’s not the barrel twist rate or the bullet weight that is your issue here….

Shooting from a bench or offhand?? I always zero from a bench or rest. I can hold pretty good groups off-hand but zero from a rest to make sure the error is not the gun, it’s the shooter.

not the best for accuracy, in general.
i think both my tavor and 16" ARs will do a general in the head with steel 55gr 5.56 tula at under 200 yds just fine. :)
just need to make sure that general is fat enough, if i miss the headshot.

i think both my tavor and 16" ARs will do a general in the head with steel 55gr 5.56 tula at under 200 yds just fine. :)
just need to make sure that general is fat enough, if i miss the headshot.
200 yards is you better be able to hit a 6” gong off hand range….

Oh shit, this is scoped?? You should be grouping silver dollar sized with that scope if it’s set on the rifle correctly….
no, you cannot do a silver dollar if it`s not a nightforce. nightforce is a minimum. and a $3k swarovski binoculars, to enhance the barrel via those special vibes they emanate. :)

For reference, here's an old pic from one of my first groupings after going from bulk to better ammo. WW-VEX, 20" 1:8. No significant wind, Nikon scope, benched on a sandbag. I have yet to take this rifle beyond 100 yards. And I did not run a battery of 5-shot groups to confirm. It's a coyote gun and won't see targets beyond that unless until I move out of MA.

100yds - Copy.jpg

69 gr match bullets are about the best performing regardless of barrel twist. I have a oddball Savage 10FP LA in .223 with a 1-12" twist . Shoots 69's outstanding. Tried 77's and they didn't work well .
That twist rate is too slow for heavier projectIles. Probably made for varmint shooting with lighter projectiles at high fps.

I shoot 80's for match shooting at 600 yards and that's pretty common. Most match .223 rifles are faster twist for the heavier projectiles.

I’d suggest trying out, IMI-.223/556- FMJGTSC 62/63grain, w/a HD 1:8/1:12 twist & compensated 16.5” HD barrel. @ 200 / 300 yrd. it was reliable imo. Scored rested* quarter sized 100yrd hits consistently.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom