Reeds Ferry Sheds or Not

The builders of the shed I have wanted $16K in 2004. I bought the plans from them for $39 and built it myself.

shed is a great do it yourself sort of project.
but your eyes will be opened up when you see what sort of robbery is going on for lumber and other building materials.

We considered building our own in Boston, but this was a lot bigger shed at a vacation place we don’t visit much in summer. It was all I could do to get the site prepped, and all the heavy lifting was contracted out. I cut the trees off the plot, but it took a Cat 512 excavator to remove the stumps and level the gravel.

But the 29/30 storm really filled up the brook and flooded as much as anytime since 9/15, and the water didn’t come near it. We were originally considering a pole barn on a slab, which might have been wetter.

For 2x8x8’ pressure treated, different yards quoted from $8,40 down to $5 each. We used 25 of them.

Post Woodworking could only offer a 6’ long ramp made of 1x6’s. That was completely inadequate so they took it back.

Settled on a 8’ length: Height is about 16”. Started off with one joist to make sure it fit.

2017103018104188-IMG_1049-L.jpg

Once we got that right, made six of them.
2017103018104188-IMG_1050-L.jpg

Put in some cross pieces to make sure it was stable.
2017103018104188-IMG_1056-L.jpg

And planked it. We want to paint it but were advised to wait 2-6 months to dry out. Going to put another piece in front and grade the gravel. But it supports the tractor!

5E9489B2-7030-4D7A-BE14-E1672C552892-L.jpg

Last edited:
For 2x8x8’ pressure treated, different yards quoted from $8,40 down to $5 each. We used 25 of them.

Post Woodworking could only offer a 6’ long ramp made of 1x6’s. That was completely inadequate so they took it back.

Settled on a 8’ length: Height is about 16”. Started off with one joist to make sure it fit.

That thing is sweet. Love it.

Since someone asked via PM: Innards. These sheds usually come with an entry door. For weather resistance and security reasons (we live 100 miles away) we deleted it. We also speced only the three windows, on the south, sunny side, away from the street.

11B0B48D-21CC-491D-ADE6-F254C3373BF4-L.jpg

90AD1890-95F9-4D99-B179-7D6697AB9D0C-L.jpg

In first photo, is that a water sealant applied between sole plate and subfloor or just floor paint?

Last edited:
Any other opinions on the Old Hickory Sheds? It appears daughter #2 will be moving home for a while, and I need something relatively quickly to hold all her stuff. Realizing she won't be here forever, I hope to get something that will revert to more useful purposes once empty. I'm still kicking myself for not getting a larger shed the first time around, as I already have a 12x20 out back. I'm curious if these hold up any better or worse than what else is out there.

Any other opinions on the Old Hickory Sheds? It appears daughter #2 will be moving home for a while, and I need something relatively quickly to hold all her stuff. Realizing she won't be here forever, I hope to get something that will revert to more useful purposes once empty. I'm still kicking myself for not getting a larger shed the first time around, as I already have a 12x20 out back. I'm curious if these hold up any better or worse than what else is out there.

I have looked at them a few times (at the place on 101 near Keene) and they do look nicer than your typical HD shed. So I have been considering them too but don't have any knowledge on how good they will be. I was wondering why the roof trusses are held together by little pieces of plywood stapled together. Most shed builders use these connector plates made out of galvanized metal. Other than that, that's the only thing that had me a bit worried.

My FB feed keeps getting ads for this place as well. They look rather nice, but I haven't visited the showroom in person yet (it's in Maine so not convenient):

New England Rent To Own | Augusta, ME

Going to be looking for a 12x16' in Foxboro. We have a very slight slope in the area I want to put the shed. Cinder/construction blocks fine for a foundation?

we always recommend a level stone pad for something that large, but we can also shim the corners.

What is a level stone pad? I am familiar with concrete pads but I am not sure what you refer to.

I was thinking my next shed would be on sono tubes. The old one there is on concrete blocks and it shifts and twists due to ground freeze as well as ground hogs trying to dig under it.

Any lumber guys out there. Rough idea what this will run for materials

View: https://imgur.com/a/WuaHckA

I built my own 12x16. PT 2x6 floors. 2x4 walls. 2x6 rafters.

Order 1: $1256. Floor, framing, and walls.
upload_2018-4-22_21-53-56.png

Order 2: $852. Roof stuff including shingles.
upload_2018-4-22_21-55-2.png

Order 3: $782. Vinyl Siding.
upload_2018-4-22_21-55-43.png

Total for above is about $2800.

Others not included: doors/windows, louver vents, pt wood for a ramp I built later.
I had a few smaller pieces to pick up here and there too.

This was from Koopman Lumber in Northbridge. Call/fax/email/visit them for a quote if you're in the area. Very friendly.

I built my own 12x16. PT 2x6 floors. 2x4 walls. 2x6 rafters.

Order 1: $1256. Floor, framing, and walls.
View attachment 231212

Order 2: $852. Roof stuff including shingles.
View attachment 231213

Order 3: $782. Vinyl Siding.
View attachment 231216

Total for above is about $2800.

Others not included: doors/windows, louver vents, pt wood for a ramp I built later.
I had a few smaller pieces to pick up here and there too.

This was from Koopman Lumber in Northbridge. Call/fax/email/visit them for a quote if you're in the area. Very friendly.
as much as i like to build things myelf and like the control of how its done. if thats the cost for material these days thats not far off from the basic shed reeds quoted me on 10x10

I think I would always try and go shipping container vs wood shed .

I helped a friend in Florida build pads for two 20ft one trippers. Paid less than $3k delevrered each .Maybe $600 in materials prepping the pads. $100 slipped to the crane driver as a tip.

We covered the sides in vynal siding and a year or so later he cut the roof out of one and built a roof over the can. Hid his hot water and solar quite well and added some well needneeded ventalation.

When he moved to Texas , he packed the sheds and called in a truck. Pretty painless.

I think I would always try and go shipping container vs wood shed .

I helped a friend in Florida build pads for two 20ft one trippers. Paid less than $3k delevrered each .Maybe $600 in materials prepping the pads. $100 slipped to the crane driver as a tip.

We covered the sides in vynal siding and a year or so later he cut the roof out of one and built a roof over the can. Hid his hot water and solar quite well and added some well needneeded ventalation.

When he moved to Texas , he packed the sheds and called in a truck. Pretty painless.
i would love to do shipping containers, if I had my way my.
I have to fight the wife and town for the steel boxes.
one of those half length ones would fit nice under my deck.
perfect for generator ,grill and other close to house items

Call Skip's Outdoor Accents in Sutton and ask for Don Greenwood. He's Anchor here on the forum. Great guy to deal with, he offers the shed you're looking for and he provides a discount to NES members. Worth giving him a call to see what kind of deal you can work out.

My shed from Skip's was still going strong in Northbridge after 19 years when I sold my house two years ago. [thumbsup]

as much as i like to build things myelf and like the control of how its done. if thats the cost for material these days thats not far off from the basic shed reeds quoted me on 10x10
this is the shed i built 14 years ago. I want one a tad smaller and less fancy for the corner of the yard for kids bikes and random yard stuff. Get my shed back for my stuff! Unless im going to save a substantial amount building it myself ( i dont have the time or energy unless im saving big$$) I will most likely just have one installed.

this shed 14 years ago was quoted at 14k installed. For the vendors defense he claims cost do to material. when i went to the factory where they prefab i was impressed with the wood. Clean and straight no knots. everything glued and screwed. actually pretty impressive set up he had.

YZ0CMwG.jpg

What is a level stone pad? I am familiar with concrete pads but I am not sure what you refer to.

I was thinking my next shed would be on sono tubes. The old one there is on concrete blocks and it shifts and twists due to ground freeze as well as ground hogs trying to dig under it.
Tubes 100% A real pad built to last is to much work and money and crushed stone isn’t much better than being on the dirt. Stick built is by far the best product but will be more than a factory built one, you get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom