Recommendations for female shooters

Don't dismiss the higher calibers without trying them. I'm a girl, and I like to shoot 45's. :D Also, look out for the lighter guns with the same load - the felt recoil can more than cancel out the lighter static weapon weight.

I agree. My girlfriend actually likes shooting my .44 magnum, which is surprising since she doesn't like my 9mm.

lisa44magnum.jpg

I agree. My girlfriend actually likes shooting my .44 magnum, which is surprising since she doesn't like my 9mm.

lisa44magnum.jpg

Which is why most of us women always say let them try out a bunch of different ones and see what they like. Not what you guys think they will like.[wink]

Bringing this thread back to life... We got in a new gun today and they're selling FAST. Just wondering what the wimmenfolk here think. I know that the FFLs we talk to seem to think they'll sell - cause they're sure buying 'em fast! What do you ladies think of this Kel-Tec "Lady .32"?

pop_wm_819247.jpg

The inlay on the top of the slide is silver - that's two roses and the words Lady .32 on there. But it's still a Kel-Tec P-32... One sold on GunsAmerica for $339, and list is probably somewhere around $360-$380.

Comments?

I think there are a good amount of female shooters who don't care for the whole "girl friendly" aspect of the sport. Granted some do, but I know that my boss absolutely hates "girl only" shoots. I mentioned that my club has a women only team and she let me know how much she disliked the segregation of it. I'm not for one way or another, I'm happy as long as people are comfortable and it draws more people over to the right side [mg]

Bringing this thread back to life... We got in a new gun today and they're selling FAST. Just wondering what the wimmenfolk here think. I know that the FFLs we talk to seem to think they'll sell - cause they're sure buying 'em fast! What do you ladies think of this Kel-Tec "Lady .32"?

pop_wm_819247.jpg

The inlay on the top of the slide is silver - that's two roses and the words Lady .32 on there. But it's still a Kel-Tec P-32... One sold on GunsAmerica for $339, and list is probably somewhere around $360-$380.

Comments?

Ross, it is pretty. Just isn't me. I am sure there are plenty of women who will like it.

Ross, it is pretty. Just isn't me. I am sure there are plenty of women who will like it.
[rofl] Sue, you're considerably taller than me... and I can only get my second and third fingers on the grip of thing! You'd probably have an even harder time holding onto it! Now, for the more delicately-framed among us, that might be a good thing.

Although, I do have to wonder. Having never fired a .32, maybe two fingers is all I'd need to control a P32 accurately.

One other thing about it that will be interesting to hear about over the long run. The one we got into our call center to look at had the silver a bit tarnished. I wonder what effect things like Hoppe's, Shooter's Choice, etc, would have on the silver inlay? I can just hear it now... "Honey, where's the silver polish? I need to clean my gun!"

Incidentally, did you know that previous to the Industrial Revolution, silver didn't tarnish? Apparently, the sulfur content of the coal we've been burning for the last 3-4 centuries has built up enough in the atmosphere to now have that effect. Or so I've read.

Last edited:
Last edited:
My wife is a petite women and finding anything for her is tough. She shoots mostly trap. She does not carry, yet.
But as crime in the general area is getting worse and break ins are on the rise she is slowly feeling different about carry.

Well, if you guys don't live in MA, get her a Lady .32! [smile]

I've helped a lot of women come up with a good pistol for themselves during my Pistol Permit classes.

Questions that need to be answered before a REAL answer can be given:

1) how much will your wife shoot? i.e. is she interested in really becoming proficient? or is she just going to do the bare minimum?
2) how large/strong is your wife?
3) how old is your wife? (plays into hand strength)
4) how does your wife intend to carry it? handbag? glovebox? holster? pocket?

With that all said, here are some generalizations:
1) women have smaller, weaker hands than men so they should use a gun with a FULL length grip that lets them use they're pinkee. The grips circumference also can't be too big.

2) women usually aren't that interested in shooting a lot. (obviously there are exceptions, but most of the women I've taught to shoot are only doing it because they're boyfriends or husbands are into it) So simple is better.

3) women are smaller, lighter and weaker than men.

If your wife matches these assumptions then here are some truths. Keep in mind that a typical "ladies gun" is often prec isely the WRONG gun. For example, I know several men who got they're wives aluminum J frame snubbies with tiny 2 finger grips as purse guns. A tiny J frame takes practice to master, requires good hand strength to control because of the small grip. It also and moves a LOT when you fire it because of the light weight and short bbl.

In contrast, a larger heavier gun has less recoil. A gun with a longer bbl recoils straight back rather than flipping up.

So in summary, most women are best served by the largest, heaviest gun that they can get they're hands around.

In 20ish years of shooting its my personal opinion that the best semi-auto for women is the Kahr P9. Not the PM9, but the full sized P9. The single stack mag results in a slim grip that they can get they're hand around. The P9's grip is long enough for them to wrap their entire hand around. The longish bbl mitigates recoil.

With that said, revolvers offer another couple of unique benefits.
1) simple manual of arms, squeeze the trigger
2) can't jam if limp wristed
3) no jams to clear for whatever reason.
4) if there is a misfire, squeezing the trigger again swings another round under the hammer

A good compromise between size/weight and concealaility is a stainless J frame with a full length (round butt) grip and a 3-4 inch bbl.
A better choice if concealability is not important is the K frame model 66 with a 4" bbl loaded with .38 +p rounds.

Remember in a firefight, additional weight will not be noticed as far as picking up and aiming the gun, but WILL help to absorb recoil and allow her to get back on target faster.

Hope this helps. I'm looking forward to hearing back on the questions I posted above.

Don

As for clothing and stuff, I really don't know but, for a low priced firearm and all the information you could ask for...go to Four seasons in woburn...that's where I bought my girl her gun...

Just to clarify,

Reasonable J Frame for women. Note 3" bbl, 24 oz of recoil absorbing weight, full length underlug bbl to absorb recoil, full sized grip so she can hold it with her whole hand. Bobbing the hammer would be a good mod:
162430_thumb.jpg

Less than ideal J frame for women. Small grip, short bbl, light 12 oz weight.
163072_thumb.jpg

1) women have smaller, weaker hands than men so they should use a gun with a FULL length grip that lets them use they're pinkee. The grips circumference also can't be too big.

2) women usually aren't that interested in shooting a lot. (obviously there are exceptions, but most of the women I've taught to shoot are only doing it because they're boyfriends or husbands are into it) So simple is better.

[popcorn]

So in summary, most women are best served by the largest, heaviest gun that they can get they're hands around.

Giggity

Questions that need to be answered before a REAL answer can be given:

1) how much will your wife shoot? i.e. is she interested in really becoming proficient? or is she just going to do the bare minimum?
4) how does your wife intend to carry it? handbag? glovebox? holster? pocket?

Answers to your questions so a REAL answer can be given:
1) I am a female
2) the original poster of this thread
3) and I do not have a wife.

If your wife matches these assumptions then here are some truths. Keep in mind that a typical "ladies gun" is often prec isely the WRONG gun.

Thank you for participating in my thread and I understand there are generalizations for women shooters, however this thread was specific to recommendations for myself. I advised of my qualifying questions on the very first post. Thanks for the advice regardless...

Answers to your questions so a REAL answer can be given:
1) I am a female
2) the original poster of this thread
3) and I do not have a wife.

Kaisha:

I would strongly recommend you not purchase your first gun before you have a chance to shoot one of the same/similar model. It makes a really big difference. Some guns feel ok in the store but the new shooter gets them out on the range and they are unhappy and now have a gun they need to sell.

My wife and I shoot together regularly. She has small hands and short arms which means for handguns a lot of them just don't fit her hand all that well. She can shoot them, but she doesn't enjoy them.

She has a Ruger Security Six, which is a terrific .38/357 with a 6-inch barrel and can be had in good condition for well under $400.. It is by far her favorite gun. She also has a SIG P220 which she likes a lot.

She found the S&W 686 too large for her hands.

For rifles/shotguns, her length of pull (the measurement, in inches, between the curve of the trigger and the edge of the butt stock) is a lot shorter than the average man's, which makes a lot of rifles very difficult for her to shoot comfortably.

For the small bore, the Ruger 10/22 fits her very well. She also enjoys our Ruger mini-14 in 5.56 NATO/.223 Remington. Many rifles can have new buttstocks equipped for not too much money and "junior" versions are also available with smaller than "normal" LOPs.

Hope this all helps, but above all, DO NOT let anyone else buy you a gun unless you've requested that particular gun.

My wife and I will be shooting tomorrow at Harvard Sportsmen's Club and we can bring a little of everything for you to try. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

As for "girly," you can accessorize/decorate ANY gun. The only limit is your imagination and the size of your wallet.

MandysPinkAR15005.jpg

Kaisha, Bill has some good points. For me, pardon my ignorance but I can't tell from this thread if you already own any guns?

More local, 2nd Amendment Sisters shoot once a month in Braintree, Hanson has women's trap once a month, as some women's activities.

And more local, my wife could show you some at Mansfield.

Dana

Kaisha, Bill has some good points. For me, pardon my ignorance but I can't tell from this thread if you already own any guns?

More local, 2nd Amendment Sisters shoot once a month in Braintree, Hanson has women's trap once a month, as some women's activities.

And more local, my wife could show you some at Mansfield.

Dana

Kaisha, I'll add myself to that mix . . . Dana's Wife or you could contact me as well and I can bring some guns for you to try to in addition to hers. If we can dig Depicts out of "hibernation" he could add some nice guns to the mix at the same time. What I'm suggesting is that both (or all three) of us host you as a guest at Mansfield and let you try a bunch of guns to see what suits you best.

Kaisha, I'll add myself to that mix . . . Dana's Wife or you could contact me as well and I can bring some guns for you to try to in addition to hers. If we can dig Depicts out of "hibernation" he could add some nice guns to the mix at the same time. What I'm suggesting is that both (or all three) of us host you as a guest at Mansfield and let you try a bunch of guns to see what suits you best.

This is a great offer, Lens! +whatever I have now to you!

kaisha, I would try to get this work out!

I apologize for not realizing you were a woman. I was reading fast. As for your first post, it actually contains very little info. Either way. Good luck finding what you need.

Regardless of the (admittedly idiotic) error I made in not realizing you were buying for yourself, factors such as weight, size, strength, caliber, and the fallacy of what is a good "woman's gun" come into play. As others have said, a 1911 can be a great gun for women. The full sized, but narrow grip gives good purchase to those with small hands and the 2 1/2 lbs of weight soaks up a lot of the .45's recoil and converts it into more of a shove.

Don

I had to add my opinion on the size of a woman, her strength, and what gun will be comfortable.. I am 5' tall, and have tiny hands, and short arms.. I can shoot our sks, ruger 10/22, ar-15, and 12 guage shotgun with ease. I can comfortably reach the trigger on all of them..[hmmm]
As far as handguns, try before you buy.. I am one of the people who bought a pistol before I tried it, and I regret it. One of my favorite and most comfortable pistols to shoot is a 1911, and the M&Pc which has different sized backstraps doesn't fit my hand at all. I carry a full size glock most f the time.. If you find something that interests you, ask around, and see if you can shoot it first.. Good Luck..[grin]

Welcome to the world of guns. If you can possibly come to the BUAS USPSA match tomorrow in Dorchester for a visit, you will find several women shooters there that will be able to give you some good information. One shoots a Glock, one a revolver, one a STI 2011 Limited gun, and one a 1911. All are very fine women and willing to help newer shooters.

http://www.bostongunclub.net/

You need eye and ear protection. If you need to borrow, I will have spares in my bag.

As for gear specific to women. There is a lot. There are Pink Hydex holsters seen at matches among other things.

With the differences between men and women came the need for holsters with offsets for hips. Rules were adjusted in 2 sports to accommodate this. You will find pretty much whatever you can afford available..

You have had some generous offers from Len and others. If you would like to try a Sig with a short trigger and short reset trigger, let me know. If you take them up on the Mansfield vsit I could bring it up there.

Best of luck in finding the gear you want.

Edit to add: I can also bring a 9MM commander size 1911//// Thanks to Len also. Let me know

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom