Recommendations for female shooters

My wife shoots.

It's her who got us on the road of buying firearms, because the first we owned are guns she inherited.

She has a 10/22, but not with a pink stock or anything. I have been looking for an animal print pistol bag, but no luck so far. I do shoot with a woman who uses a pink tote as her range bag.

When we got my wife a shotgun, we bought a semi-auto 20 gauge in a youth model, and she is a tall woman. The youth model is a smaller model, so she felt it fit her better. That shotgun has less kick than my pump 12 gauge, both because the 20 gauge is a smaller cartridge and because some recoil is absorbed by the semi-auto action.

We have also bought her a Smith & Wesson M&P 9 mm. I wanted to get her a pistol and wanted it to be a 9 mm and semi-auto. I liked the 9 mm for the same reason I like dhte 20 gauge, it's not one of the larger pistol cartridges. I also thought the semi-auto would be better for less recoil and because she would not need to have the hand strength needed to shoot a revolver double action. She shot a couple 9 mm pistols, one was a full size M&P loaned to her at the range. She liked how it felt, and that was enough reason to buy it.

I am trying to find a rifle for her in .223 / 5.56. I'm looking for one of the Kel-Tec su-16 models. They are light, about 5 lbs, and most others are at least 7.5. I know that's going to actually create more recoil than a heavier rifle in the same caliber, but it should not be that bad with the 223 rounds.

When picking firearms, choose ones that fit you and in calibers that you can handle comfortably. You figure this out by shooting different firearms. As you shoot more, you might find you can handle more. If you go to almost any range and are interested in a firearm someone has, ask. I have never ever had someone not let me a firearm I asked about. Indeed, my experience is that almost everyone is ready to loan you their guns and seems to want to do so. So, go, shoot, ask, and try.

Welcome. I'm another not girly girl, although my range kit is a large make up case (Big Daddy calls it my Barbie goes to the Range Kit but I like the little individual spots for swabs and the like). I swear by my Coronado Leather Purse. It's not a Coach, but it's quality is A One! They also have a limited lifetime warrantee on all their products. I will repeat what was said about wearing highish necklines to the range. Never wear a tank top. I still have the scars 20 years later. I'll add to trust your intuition with shooting partners and ranges. Don't dismiss that little feeling on the back of your neck. Welcome to a great sport! Lori

Don't dismiss the higher calibers without trying them. I'm a girl, and I like to shoot 45's. :D Also, look out for the lighter guns with the same load - the felt recoil can more than cancel out the lighter static weapon weight.

My wife got us started on the road to ownership as well. She started with 2ndamendment sisters http://www.2asisters.org/ who we met at a gun show. As far as accessories, start with ones that fit then worry about color or being girly. Get a high collared shirt to avoid shell casing getting down your shirt, in addition to basic safety stuff listed above. If you really want to ham up the girly get someone to custom paint the hello kitty AK-47 from glamguns for you.

Last edited:
Welcome. I'm another not girly girl, although my range kit is a large make up case (Big Daddy calls it my Barbie goes to the Range Kit but I like the little individual spots for swabs and the like). I swear by my Coronado Leather Purse. It's not a Coach, but it's quality is A One! They also have a limited lifetime warrantee on all their products. I will repeat what was said about wearing highish necklines to the range. Never wear a tank top. I still have the scars 20 years later. I'll add to trust your intuition with shooting partners and ranges. Don't dismiss that little feeling on the back of your neck. Welcome to a great sport! Lori

I second the "No tanktops" I still have a scar from this past summer.. I can't tell you how many SO's have heard my unladylike vocabulary as I was trying to finish an IDPA stage while hearing the unmistakable hiss of burning flesh..[shocked] Also get in the habit of wearing a hat.. Murphy's law will say you will burn your face too.. I did..

I second the "No tanktops" I still have a scar from this past summer.. I can't tell you how many SO's have heard my unladylike vocabulary as I was trying to finish an IDPA stage while hearing the unmistakable hiss of burning flesh..[shocked] Also get in the habit of wearing a hat.. Murphy's law will say you will burn your face too.. I did..

Also, don't wear shorts if you are going to the range and shooting prone. My wife made that mistake this summer, and she still has a burn mark below her knee. Hopefully, the scar will fade in time.

And also, try to wear sleeves when shooting prone. The hot brass from almost anything is going to feel like it is burning even through a t-shirt. But it probably not going to burn unless it touches skin and stays in contact with it. Any spot of skin at which brass can remain in contact is a potential burn spot.

I've noticed a lot of people who can be very loose with a lot of things at a range, and they are a lot of fun, so long as safety is the one thing about which they are not loose. If someone is not safe, don't shoot anywhere near them. Every range accident is a potential hazard to our rights.

Welcome to the forum.

I happen to buy things that are girly for shooting and seek them out. I own 2 pink .22lr one sig mosquito and the other is a ruger 10/22. I do own a M&P9c which I love (other than the trigger but that will be fixed soon) I plan on purchasing a shotgun and having it done up in pink.

A lot of the being girly and having gun related stuff is searching it out. Right now a lot of places are doing breast cancer awareness so you can find some items in pink. I picked up pink ear muffs and pink trap bag from Champion and couldn't be happier with them. Bulldog bags also makes pink rifle and range bags. The one problem I have had is finding a holster I love but with anyone that is trial and error.

you can pm if you have any questions I am new to the sport and have only been into it for about a year but have learned a lot from this website and at the club I joined. You may also want to check out a Women on Target event as I have sent my mother and sister to those events which have made them love the sport also.

Andy makes some pink gun leather

http://www.shottist.com/holster.htm

I am a beginner female shooter/gun owner and I’m starting to build up my collection of guns, safety gear, shooting clothes, accessories, and etc.

For a lack of a better word, I like to identify myself as "girly" and would like to purchase products to show off my feminine side.
Welcome to NES, Kaisha!

I ran across this magazine (http://www.womenshooters.com/) in my web crawlings; it might be useful for you.

Women have been getting into shooting so much, that we even see Hello Kitty everywhere! And of course, Esmeralda gives us beautiful grips for our guns. There are other grip manufacturers, too, who do custom engraved grips with just about any logo you can think of for your gun, too.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned The Cornered Cat yet, but spend some time reading Kathy's website here:

http://corneredcat.com/
Ah, you beat me to it, Len.

I'm with K-Dub on this I am not a girly girl either.
Um... Sue, NO ONE will ever mistake you OR K-Dub for men. Y'all are girly enough for me.
hug.gif

I think the only girly accessory you need is a 1911 on your hip.
I hear a Country & Western song in the making there... something about "Rocking the Gold Cup", maybe...

Ah, here it is: the "tactical purse": http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Tactical-Handbag,878,1394.htm Might not be girly enough for you Kaisha, but I remembered seeing this on View From The Porch the other day.

And some more stuff from Galco Leather: http://www.usgalco.com/Women.asp

Last edited:
pink AR mag

Hi Kaisha and welcome to the forum. I'm not a girly girl but adding pink on the line of fire does amuse me. One of my shooting buddies gifted me with an AR mag he painted pink for me...and I love it. Athleta makes some nice pants with lots of pockets that are pretty rugged but also fit a girl's figure. Some are great for summer wear, others are a little warmer for winter shooting. Comfort and safety are paramount but you can still be cute. I find most of the "gun shirts" are only sized down to a men's medium which is like pajamas on me. Haven't had a lot of luck with those. Keep us informed of what you find out there but most of all, have fun! [dance]

The above picture taken of "Abby Oakley" were, I am pretty sure taken at an Appleseed, see the Appleseed threads under training here, or www.appleseedinfo.org

Women, along with those under 21, and active military and a few others, can attend applesseds for free. It's all about shooting a rifle, and the 10/22 is the rifle of choice. Excellent training at a great price, and fun. Try one, if you have not already.

Why didn't dwarven1 suggest this?

Wow, there's a lot of that going around. My wife now owns a Kimber Pro Carry in .40SW - it used to be mine until she claimed it. [smile]

Hubby is lucky I don't claim too much. He does have visitation to a few rifles.[laugh]
We each have different tastes so it kinda equals out for us.
Just remember whats hers is hers, and what's yours is hers.[wink][laugh]

Wow, there's a lot of that going around. My wife now owns a Kimber Pro Carry in .40SW - it used to be mine until she claimed it. [smile]

I'm a bit afraid of this happening if my daughter starts shooting. Which I want her to do. She's moved back in with us, so I'm going to try to get her interested again.

Back
Top Bottom