Recent new gun purchase

I recently had to sell my primary carry gun, S&W M&P due to being laid off after 11 years with Yellow Freight. I went to my local gun shop in NH and purchased a Ruger p95 used for $270.00 as I was not going to be without a firearm. The gun cleaned up nicely and although not as ergonomically pleasing as the M&P will do fine after a little getting used to. I carried all day today and it did not feel any more bulky than the M&P to me and is actually a little shorter overall so I was not disappointed. Anyway, to make a long story longer does anyone have any reports for me good or bad regarding the P95. Just curious, any comments would be helpful.

The P95 has one of if not the worst trigger pull of any handgun I have ever shot. Besides what did you really save by trading in the M&P for the Ruger. $100?

Actually, I only walked away with $80.00 so I know it sounds crazy but right now we live literally week to week and with two children who have birthdays this week it will help for now. As far as the trigger pull is concerned, what exactly are you referring to? Thanks again for your input.

~ Hang in there S&WM&P9 . . .

Hey, if it does the job and you get some bucks to help out during the lean times then you're the man. You can alway change things around when times get better. It's a good looking gun, best of luck. Below is what I've read on the net just now.
<~~> <~~> <~~>

600-RugerP95.jpg

RUGER P95

Original model KP95, without the picatinny rail
model P95PR with picatinny rail and a Hogue Handall grip installed

The P95 changed from an aluminum frame to one made of fiberglass-reinforced polyurethane based on Dow Chemical's "Isoplast". This reduced the weight of the pistol by 4 ounces (110 g) and reduced manufacturing costs. Unlike other polymer framed handguns on the market at the time of design, the P95 had no metal inserts in the frame. The high strength polymer allowed the slide to ride directly on the polymer frame rails which simplified manufacturing and further reduced production costs.

The P95PR was introduced in 2005, it incorporates a Picatinny rail into the frame and adds a new non-slip texturing in the polymer frame. This model replaced the original P95 in production.

In December 2004, Ruger was awarded a contract for 5,000 KP95D pistols by the U.S. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command, Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois. These weapons were purchased on behalf of Iraqi security forces.​

Thanks 6hold, I just learned from your post that I have the 2nd generation p95pr. I did not realize there was an earlier version with no rail and smooth grips. I can see just from the photo why some say that the original could become slippery in the hand. Overall I think I could get comfortable with the P95pr, at least for now. Thanks Brother!

Thanks MassMark, I have also owned several other Ruger firearms over the years and have not been disappointed. That was my main reason for looking to used Rugers to replace my S&W which I unfortunately had no choice but to part with. The only other consolation to me is that it is made in the USA which is more important to me than I can ever remember

The one you have, is the one you will shoot.
Shoot it often, and it will become what you are familiar with.

That pistol is built like a brick sh!t house.
Find it's finer points. (and yours too).

A dad does what he has to do for his kids. $80 is $80, I send you a big atta-boy from one dad to another. Years ago, my BIL was let go from a hi-powered sales job, big money, we were talking, I said what are you going to do if you don't find another similar job. He said: I already have my hack license,(they lived in NYC) if nothing else I'll drive cab to feed my family. A dad does what he has to do for his kids!

Hey thank you Skeet732, sometimes I feel like no matter what I do it's never enough. My wife has been at home since she developed cardio myopathy after having our Daughter and it has been a great burden on us. I know that there are many people out there who have it much worse than we do however and that is what keeps me moving forward. It is also encouraging to have people like you who can offer words of kindness to a total stranger! Thanks again and god bless you, Merry Christmas!

You can come down to Mass and shoot my guns anytime...I'll supply the ammo. You do what you have to do to get done what needs to get done.

I remember my dad going through something similar, his business went under, and he sold all but one of his guns and two boxes of ammo, my mom sold a piano that'd been in her family for years and years...we lived poor, but we lived, and I think I'm a better person because of it. If I were up in Mass. I'd offer you some free range time, but since I'm not I'll throw you some rep points and some prayers.

Stay safe up there, you're a good dad.

First off, you're a good family man, well done! Second, my first pistol was a P-95 which I still have and enjoy shooting. The double action trigger onthe first shot is a bit long, but it will smooth out over time with a lot of dry firing. Mine has eaten at least 1000 rounds of all types of ammo without a hiccup and I personally like shooting it. If you have larger hands it will fit you just fine.

I had a P94 for about 10 years. Now it belongs to my sister-in-law. When the time comes, get the trigger done. It's a pretty good shooter once the trigger is lighter.

+1 for thinking of family first.

I want to thank everyone of you for your kind words. It's really helpful to know there are so many thoughtful, caring people out there. You are certainly a group that I would be honored to call friends. Thank you all again and merry Christmas to you all!

Back
Top Bottom