Reason for Issue Recommendation

I'll be applying for my LTC for the first time in Medford, and I'd like some advice on what to put in the "Reason for Issue" box of the application.

I've been a shooter for a few years, mainly pistol/rifle target shooting and trap shooting, but always with other people's guns. I've been looking to get licensed for a while, and now I'm starting the process. I've already completed my basic safety course (at the MRA), and I'd really like to get into the USPSA/IDPA shooting events (which is why I'm applying for a Class A, as I'd like the high-cap option for that). Truthfully, even if I was given an unrestricted LTC-A, I almost certainly wouldn't often carry concealed, though I wouldn't mind having the option.

So, after that long winded intro, should i just put ALP on the application and let them sort it out at the Medford PD station, or will putting T&H or Sporting give me a better chance of getting through the application process in a timely and efficient manner? Also, would you recommend I include a letter as an attachment explaining what I've just explained and mentioning my interest in the USPSA stuff, or should I just put "ALP and for competitive shooting events" in the little box?

Your knowledge and worldly wisdom is greatly appreciated

I'll be applying for my LTC for the first time in Medford, and I'd like some advice on what to put in the "Reason for Issue" box of the application.

I've been a shooter for a few years, mainly pistol/rifle target shooting and trap shooting, but always with other people's guns. I've been looking to get licensed for a while, and now I'm starting the process. I've already completed my basic safety course (at the MRA), and I'd really like to get into the USPSA/IDPA shooting events (which is why I'm applying for a Class A, as I'd like the high-cap option for that). Truthfully, even if I was given an unrestricted LTC-A, I almost certainly wouldn't often carry concealed, though I wouldn't mind having the option.

So, after that long winded intro, should i just put ALP on the application and let them sort it out at the Medford PD station, or will putting T&H or Sporting give me a better chance of getting through the application process in a timely and efficient manner? Also, would you recommend I include a letter as an attachment explaining what I've just explained and mentioning my interest in the USPSA stuff, or should I just put "ALP and for competitive shooting events" in the little box?

Medford is red. For what it's worth, I'd get a lawyer to help with the application. Just putting "All Lawful Purposes" on the application is probably not going to cut it in your town.

Good luck.

I've been a shooter for a few years, mainly pistol/rifle target shooting and trap shooting, but always with other people's guns. I've been looking to get licensed for a while, and now I'm starting the process. I've already completed my basic safety course (at the MRA), and I'd really like to get into the USPSA/IDPA shooting events (which is why I'm applying for a Class A, as I'd like the high-cap option for that). Truthfully, even if I was given an unrestricted LTC-A, I almost certainly wouldn't often carry concealed, though I wouldn't mind having the option.//
First, this is a very good reason to join GOAL so they can advise you.

The reason why many lawyers recommend getting an unrestricted LTC-A is that even if you never intend to CCW different chiefs may interpret restrictions in different ways.

+1 on talking to a lawyer. I wish I did before handing in my app.

Don't lie, or stretch the facts for your reasoning. Avoid displaying a 'general fear of crime'.

Good luck.

I'd really like to get into the USPSA/IDPA shooting events (which is why I'm applying for a Class A, as I'd like the high-cap option for that). Truthfully, even if I was given an unrestricted LTC-A, I almost certainly wouldn't often carry concealed, though I wouldn't mind having the option.

One of the most common horror stories one reads about in the Enosverse (www.brianenos.com/forums) is competitors having their guns boosted while they are enjoying a meal after the match. Having a unrestricted LTC-A means you can bring your match gun, your spare match gun (which can run anywhere from about $500 for a single production class gun to $8000+ if you have a high end open gun and a spare open gun in your bag), and a carry gun on your person when you stop for food, to enter a store, etc. If you have a restricted LTC-A, the varying interpretations from different departments can place you in a position where you really don't know if it's OK to bring your gun bag with you or if you need to leave it in the car. For many of us, it's not uncommon for the value of the guns in the trunk to exceed the value of the car they are lugged around in.

Hopefully, you can convince the licensing officer that it is better for all involved to get an unrestricted permit so you can keep the firearms under your immediate control at all times when they are out of your safe.

First, this is a very good reason to join GOAL so they can advise you.

The reason why many lawyers recommend getting an unrestricted LTC-A is that even if you never intend to CCW different chiefs may interpret restrictions in different ways.

Excellent advice along with definitely hiring a firearms attorney, who are constantly giving their input on this site. Like Rob said, you don't want to have to leave your firearms unattended at all, they cost a lot and you don't want them falling into someone else's hands. This is one of my biggest fears after a day out at the range. Stealing a car is very easy and explaining to a police chief how you lost your firearms is not.

Stealing a car is very easy and explaining to a police chief how you lost your firearms is not.
All of the reports I've read were theft of guns from with cars, not theft of the actual vehicle.

All of the reports I've read were theft of guns from with cars, not theft of the actual vehicle.

OK, regardless of how they are taken, you still have to leave them unattended and out of eye contact as both of our scenario's present. It would suck big time either way as we both have said. Nobody should apply for, or accept a license / downgrade with restrictions and should do everything in their power in advance to prevent the BS from happening again. [angry]

I'll preface this by saying my advice is from personal experience in Medford....not a lawyer. If you want ALP, Chief Sacco usually only gives it for work/situations (told to me by the inspector). Include a nice letter describing your need. For me, I can sometimes carry expensive computer equipment, so that was enough. If you can think of any time you are transporting anything expensive for work, if not....personal, or if you have to be in "less than safe areas". I wrote him a letter detailing my work requirements, personal protection, and that I am sometimes in Chinatown. Got the ALP without even an interview.

Back
Top Bottom