• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reading Ma. still a red town?

Kicker96FS

NES Member
I know a guy that drives a canteen truck, he lives in Reading and seeing as he handles cash all day he would like to get a LTC-A, no restrictions.
How is Reading these days and given his line of work what do you think his chances are to get one without restrictions as hunting and target would not do him much good.

Last edited:
I don't know there is a new officer in charge of it in Reading Officer Picco I was told. Not sure if the Chief has changed his stances but with that job he may have a good chance. Worst case he gets it with restrictions.

To add some common experiences here, I know of another town's chief who lives in Reading. his son's FID took 7 months to process. I am waiting on my LTC since late Sept '17, now late Jan '18. I already have an FID, so this is just annoying.

To add some common experiences here, I know of another town's chief who lives in Reading. his son's FID took 7 months to process. I am waiting on my LTC since late Sept '17, now late Jan '18. I already have an FID, so this is just annoying.

Man, they learned these bureaucratic slow roll tactics from the best communists money could by...

I don’t think they’re red anymore.

They were when I got mine; I had to do the wait-a-year, write-a-letter thing. Soon thereafter, around the time the law changed, they greened up for new applicants. I think.

In fairness, they were quick with my initial license.

I’m renewing end of March and emailed the guy around the first of the year; he was very cordial in his reply, stressing that they’d extend me if they couldn’t schedule me on time...

Man, they learned these bureaucratic slow roll tactics from the best communists money could by...
I agree. Its now feb and i still don't have my ltc. And my fid renews in june, so i would like to get my ltc before i have to worry about the renewal.

I’m renewing end of March and emailed the guy around the first of the year; he was very cordial in his reply, stressing that they’d extend me if they couldn’t schedule me on time...

How do they extend an LTC without processing a renewal?

They can't! It's all done in the computer, so if not entered in MIRCS before expiration you don't get the indefinite grace period and can't buy/sell anything.

Yes. I’m aware of this. It’s why I’m emailing him weekly to that effect, and CCing the Chief.

It was a long wait. It sat at the PD for about 30 days. The PD said they have so many to mail and they only do it when they have time. Total bs.

My renewal saga limps on, but I’m always courteous to them and they were very clear about their willingness to extend me. I get the impression they’re more busy than incompetent, or malicious.

Could easily be wrong, but the licensing officer does seem to be trying hard not to be a jerk to me. That’s a low bar, but it’s better than them still being red.

Not sure if it has changed in the past 1.5 years, but a friend of mine got the come back a year BS when he applied. He runs a branch of dad's business, so carries cash etc. He went in prepared with letters from officers in other towns etc. And still was cock blocked.

It was a long wait. It sat at the PD for about 30 days. The PD said they have so many to mail and they only do it when they have time. Total bs.
A friend at another pd told me they have been getting ltc's from the state a month after issue date. Seems like a problem on all fronts here.

They will issue ALP these days when they get around to it. Definitely not a priority in the PD. My last renewal took 11 months. Yes it was just a renewal.

Finally got my appointment after about seven emails.

Whatever. They extended me indefinitely. So at least they know they need to do that. Low bar, but it’s better than when they didn’t issue ALP.

Some of it is intentional obstructionism (hoping the applicants will go away, like what Worcester used to do... turtle indefinitely, etc) and some of it is just administrative sloth/laziness. It's hard to tell which is which sometimes in this state.

-Mike

Some of it is intentional obstructionism (hoping the applicants will go away, like what Worcester used to do... turtle indefinitely, etc) and some of it is just administrative sloth/laziness. It's hard to tell which is which sometimes in this state.

-Mike

What’s odd to me is that my new application six years ago was handled quickly and with no fuss, though it was initially restricted for about ten months.

This renewal has been the opposite: slllooooowww comms, presumably followed by a rubber-stamp No Restrictions.

i actually just found out my hard copy is at the station. interviewed 9/26/17 and this is the first update since then on 3/27/17. 6 months so far. i was told i still need to be processed. so it will be interesting to see when i finally get it. thank goodness i am moving to nh in may!!! free state, baby!

What if you move into he town with it? Then what happens
I think class three is a statewide thing. So few people have any class three here. The armorer at rpd is very responsive when called or emailed. (email tuesday morning early, thatsbwhen he does firearms business. He is not a full time licenser. He is a regular cop too)

What if you move into he town with it? Then what happens
Make an appt with the Chief. You may have better lick as a FFL07. If it’s for shits and giggles not so much in this climate. I know there is one in town but don’t know any details.

What’s odd to me is that my new application six years ago was handled quickly and with no fuss, though it was initially restricted for about ten months.

This renewal has been the opposite: slllooooowww comms, presumably followed by a rubber-stamp No Restrictions.

Yup. Rubber-stamp NR. This guy’s got a much better personality than the guy six years ago. I’m not sure he knows why the hard copies come in from the state at random intervals; he speculates it’s the state waiting until they’ve got a bunch for each town before they send them, to save on postage.

Seems like a decent theory; who knows?

He told me there’s a MASSIVE spike in applications.

Back
Top Bottom