Rant-Rave Kittery Trading Post

Bought a used firearm from them about 45 days ago. There were some "issues" to put it nicely.

I went to KTP looking to be refunded, I did not want store credit.
The manager listened to what I had to say and they gave me a full refund, no begging on my part.

Merry Christmas.

Thats called excellent customer service not a rant

Considering it is their policy not to refund, I would agree. Its more of a short "rave".
If they did not refund me it would have been a rant. Maybe I am picky, but a G27 frame with a G26 slide and barrel should not be sold as a G26.

They are great up there at Kittery. A friend of mine purchased a sweet sixteen that would jam. Brought it back and they went through it an completely replaced the guts of the firearm at no charge.

Meh.
Stopped in on the way home from Maine on Thanksgiving weekend.
Tourist trap with prices higher than Cabela's further north.
Nothin' special there.

YMMV

I have alway done well at KTP. You just have to be willing to keep looking. They will reserve firearms for your personal inspection at no charge for up to 10 days.

I had to call the manager over one day which took 15 min, The guy at the counter wouldnt sell me a Used firearm which was Mass comp. He said too much paperwork and walked away. I left without buying it but he gave me a 25.00 gift card.

They are overpriced, and their used junk bin is RIDICULOUSLY overpriced.
That said, I asked a clerk how much they wanted for a used, un priced glock mag loader. He waved me to the register, put it in a bag, and marked it paid.
I almost always stop by, but hardly ever buy anything. I did find a like new crossbreed for a glock 17/19/22/23/27/27 for $25 in the bin. SCORE! Used knives can be hit or miss too. Ammo prices hurt like a kick in the nuts. Good place to find components though.

I called about a used shotgun. 20 minutes later they had photos of the gun in question in my inbox on my gmail. They are currently holding the gun for me until the xmas madness dies down. Nice to know that if the gun doesnt shoot well, they will refund / repair

They are overpriced, and their used junk bin is RIDICULOUSLY overpriced.
Ammo prices hurt like a kick in the nuts. Good place to find components though.
Overpriced but they did have stock back when the supplies were a little tighter than they are now.

They also nice enough to call the 3 letter agency on you while they process your paperwork and while you waiting to take delivery of your new firearms.

F them
Love to hear this story.

I have gotten some incredibly good deals on used guns there. They usually give you fair trade value, also.
Then again, I usually buy stuff that other people won't, so they are more willing to take a lower number.

They are nice enough to have a New Hampshire 'store', where you can buy in Maine, yet take delivery in the abandoned gas station in NH they pretend is a store to save the Maine 5.5% sales tax.

KTP is hit or miss, sometimes just depends on who you deal with or there is always one pretty good deal and others not so much. They are still my favorite full size store in the area and I was happy I got a gift certificate this christmas to continue shopping there.

They are nice enough to have a New Hampshire 'store', where you can buy in Maine, yet take delivery in the abandoned gas station in NH they pretend is a store to save the Maine 5.5% sales tax.

...and buy handguns "across state lines". Very handy

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

So wait: you buy the firearm in Maine.... how do you not pay the sales tax?

You pick out and pay for the firearm(s) in the store in Maine, then they "transfer" them to their NH FFL affiliate(just across the river in Portsmouth, NH), and then they're transferred to you. Since the actual transfer happens in NH, there is no sales tax. Like buying a refrigerator in Maine, and having it delivered to NH; no sales tax be cause it was delivered to NH. You get the added benefit of a NH resident being able to "buy" a handgun at an out of state store.

On topic: I have found their customer service to be pretty damn good, as well as prices. I have bought several guns there, and been very happy, the latest being my Savage Fcp-sr .308 that they had on the used rack. I saw it online, called and spoke to the web-sales guy, and he said he'd put it on a 7 day hold with no questions asked. I went down 5 days later, and looked at the rifle, which was in nearly new condition (I'd say less than a box of ammunition had been through it), and was doing the paperwork 20 minutes later. I bought the gun for a good price, and it was exactly what i was looking for.

Last edited:
Considering it is their policy not to refund, I would agree. Its more of a short "rave".
If they did not refund me it would have been a rant. Maybe I am picky, but a G27 frame with a G26 slide and barrel should not be sold as a G26.

It's a Glock how could you tell???

I'm a big fan of KTP-bought several guns there and always got great service. I had to return a GPS after the 30 day window and, again, got great service. Also, the bonus is Bob's seafood next door!

I had to call the manager over one day which took 15 min, The guy at the counter wouldnt sell me a Used firearm which was Mass comp. He said too much paperwork and walked away. I left without buying it but he gave me a 25.00 gift card.

What's the current state of MA LTC holders purchasing long guns, ammo, and reloading powder/components from KTP and Cabelas in ME? The search brings up threads that are from a few years ago.

Is buying a bolt rifle or shotgun straightforward since no AWB issues?

What's the current state of MA LTC holders purchasing long guns, ammo, and reloading powder/components from KTP and Cabelas in ME? The search brings up threads that are from a few years ago.

Is buying a bolt rifle or shotgun straightforward since no AWB issues?

KTP is pretty good with ma residents. No ID check on ammo/components. They will sell compliant rifles too. This summer they had a whole rack of m&p sports specifically listed as mass compliant.

Good experience with KTP all around - bought handguns (C&R) rifles, components, ammo and archery gear from them. The one time I had to bring something back (a milsurp Mauser bolt-action that had a headspace issue) they took it with no questions asked and refunded my money. Then I bought something else there.

Back
Top Bottom