Range Suicide @ Bob's Tactical In Salisbury

I have ZERO sympathy for someone who commits suicide publicly and even worse, gruesomely.

Only sympathy I have is for the kids/people who had to experience this.

If this was a mistake, different story. But if it was intentional, **** him.

I was there last sunday with GREEK around 12 and it was crowded, I go there alot and i really dont like someone able to just walk in and sign/shoot...
How often do you go there? If it's more than 5 times a year, you are MUCH better off joining a range. I have no problem with "anyone" going in and shooting. Just remember, to me, YOU are "anyone," and I respect your right to go shoot.
Enforcement of basic safety rules would be preferable to the way things are run there. Everyone I know who has gone there has been muzzle swept. I went once before my LTC came in. I was the only one there, so I had no one to sweep. ; )

So dont go there. Join a private range, even then private ranges although rare have had suicides.
Private ranges are the way to go. True, there is some jackassery at private ranges as well, but I feel like less of it. People go through the trouble to join, bring their own firearms, are more likely to have some clue about basic safety.
As for offing yourself at a private range; Why? If you already own the hardware, do it at home. Only reason someone does it at a rental range is because they aren't licensed, therefore unable to purchase a gun. So they go to a public range and put everyone else there in danger...

Last edited:
I have always find public ranges to be full of jackasses and unsafe gun handling.

Kinda like public bathrooms and roads also. It's people that just don't care anymore because nobody has any morals or descent standards! So think about that the next time you go out to eat somewhere!

Charles.

I have always find public ranges to be full of jackasses and unsafe gun handling.

Around here. In other parts of the country, there are more public ranges than clubs. I've shot at a couple and they have RSOs who run the line and they are pretty strict. I have no idea what Bob's does or what happened for that matter. Do they require an LTC to shoot? I'd guess they do unless someone is under instruction, but that's just a guess.

- - - Updated - - -

168 hours. Thank God, you just missed it. [hmmm]

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

[laugh2]

Around here. In other parts of the country, there are more public ranges than clubs. I've shot at a couple and they have RSOs who run the line and they are pretty strict. I have no idea what Bob's does or what happened for that matter. Do they require an LTC to shoot? I'd guess they do unless someone is under instruction, but that's just a guess.

- - - Updated - - -

[laugh2]

Gary, no LTC or babysitter. Just cash and you are good to go. I don't have a problem with that either, but their are no RSOs. I do recall them asking me if I was familiar with the firearm, but after that, its YOYO time. No RSO could have stopped what happened today, however, the other unsafe behavior mentioned in this thread surely could be handled.

Gary, no LTC or babysitter. Just cash and you are good to go. I don't have a problem with that either, but their are no RSOs. I do recall them asking me if I was familiar with the firearm, but after that, its YOYO time. No RSO could have stopped what happened today, however, the other unsafe behavior mentioned in this thread surely could be handled.
This is what caused S&W to shut down their range.

More likely the ATF giving them shit 2 or 3 different times over prohibited persons and so on. My guess is they also weren't making enough money off the operation to justify keeping it open and staffed that way. Sucks because it was one of the few non-garbage indoor pistol ranges in western-ish MA.

-Mike

Mike we were just talking about that! place scares me its amateur night in there . But when we went in there looked like they knew common safety practices with the guys in there. I recently became a member of MRA and I guess t could happen anywhere

This.

I was there 4 to 5 months ago with a student. At the other end of the line, there were two young couples. While one of the women was shooting, her friend asked her to turn around so that she could take a picture of her. The woman turned around with firearm in hand pointing it in the direction of her friend as she snapped the picture. I went over and asked them all to keep that damn gun facing downrange at all times.

I only went to Bob's because the indoor range at my club is shut down for renovations until Oct 1. I will not go back to Bob's...too dangerous with non-trained shooters. It's even dangerous being a customer there.

No worries, Boston.com hasn't picked it up yet.. they seemed more concerned about a Kardashian's marriage and a fiery plane crash in Taunton... much more interesting I guess.... for now.

eta: I used to go to American Firearms School a lot. I was in there once with a bunch of guys and their girlfriends, latino's from Providence I think, they were all over the place with weapons.. made me nervous so I left... But then again, there was a guy at Braintree Rifle and Pistol a few weeks back that was shooting a shotgun from the hip until an RSO booted him. Dumb stuff happens all over.

Last edited:
I've shot there multiple times alone?

You can shoot alone if you're not renting, have an LTC, etc. Basically at MFL you're only gonna get cut off if you are coming in and renting alone without nothing more than a DL- since that class of user is more likely than all the others combined to off themselves on the range.

-Mike

Person Shot @ Bob's Tactical In Salisbury

You can shoot alone if you're not renting, have an LTC, etc. Basically at MFL you're only gonna get cut off if you are coming in and renting alone without nothing more than a DL- since that class of user is more likely than all the others combined to off themselves on the range.

-Mike

Oh gotcha, I think I rented a handgun by myself once too but I had my own as well with me. I do have my ccw but was never asked for it. They also get the wannabe thugs from Lawrence to rent there call of duty guns as well, I avoid that place now plan on joining a local club. On top of the range access a lot of the clubs seem to be like Nes with good people to make friends with and network with as well. I took the hunting class at Raymond rod n gun yesterday with a couple friends that are members on Nes as well it was like fudd heaven they even had a sign with gun safety that said loaded guns have no place in a house that all guns should be unloaded and stored separate from ammo and only loaded when firing lol, I guess they don't believe in loaded handguns for carry lol.

Oh gotcha, I think I rented a handgun by myself once too but I had my own as well with me. I do have my ccw but was never asked for it. They also get the wannabe thugs from Lawrence to rent there call of duty guns as well, I avoid that place now plan on joining a local club. On top of the range access a lot of the clubs seem to be like Nes with good people to make friends with and network with as well. I took the hunting class at Raymond rod n gun yesterday with a couple friends that are members on Nes as well it was like fudd heaven they even had a sign with gun safety that said loaded guns have no place in a house that all guns should be unloaded and stored separate from ammo and only loaded when firing lol, I guess they don't believe in loaded handguns for carry lol.

If you get a membership at MFL you can shoot on the left side of the range (members area) where the troglodyte factor usually goes way down... that and it costs a lot less to shoot per hour. I've had one for a couple years now and its money well spent. Being able to make reservations in the dead of winter is wonderful.... Not sure if they have any slots left though. Awhile ago they had maxed out I think but people fall off the rolls.

For private clubs you have to do some hunting around before you find a place that doesn't suck... 50% of the clubs in MA and NH have fudd rules that make them unusable. Start with "allows drawing from a holster" and that cuts off about 30% of them, and go from there.

-Mike

Last edited:
Far as I can tell, corporate decided it wasn't worth having the ATF up their cornhole over a business that likely bled money (I doubt they left their firing lanes and computers broken just for fun) and was a nightmare to keep properly staffed. Though I miss the place, I can't really blame S&W for giving it the axe.

As far as people getting all riled up over "amateurs"... not everybody gets to grow up around guns. [wink] The Shooting Sports Center was the first place I fired a gun, and if it wasn't around back in 2009, I (and by proxy, my father) probably would never have picked up shooting. For that fact alone, I'm a big fan of indoor rental ranges. One of my favorite things about the SSC was that if you were being at all unsafe, the ROs were on you like white on rice. It instilled good safety fundamentals and kept everyone safe from the occasional chucklehead that couldn't keep their muzzle downrange.

More likely the ATF giving them shit 2 or 3 different times over prohibited persons and so on. My guess is they also weren't making enough money off the operation to justify keeping it open and staffed that way. Sucks because it was one of the few non-garbage indoor pistol ranges in western-ish MA.

-Mike

Last edited:

If you get a membership at MFL you can shoot on the left side of the range (members area) where the troglodyte factor usually goes way down... that and it costs a lot less to shoot per hour. I've had one for a couple years now and its money well spent. Being able to make reservations in the dead of winter is wonderful.... Not sure if they have any slots left though. Awhile ago they had maxed out I think but people fall off the rolls.

-Mike

Yeah I thought about doing that but it's still 9 $ too shoot I would rather pay 175 a year for Chester have access to a indoor pistol range 24/7 and the extra outdoor pistol 150 rifle dialing stands trap field etc. Chester's also at capacity hopefully the wait isn't too long if it is I may just become a member at Mfl.

Nope. Gangbanger killed a guy, said he took range time at S&W and was already a prohibted person, Attorney General had a field day..

The french guy who shot himself accidently and the one intential shooting they had earlier didn't help matters.

Last edited:
Nope. Gangbanger killed a guy, said he took range time at S&W and was already a prohibted person, Attorney General had a field day..

The french guy who shot himself accidently and the one intential shooting they had earlier didn't help matters.
I am aware of that fact. It was the rent to anyone that eventually got them in trouble.

I am aware of that fact. It was the rent to anyone that eventually got them in trouble.

They could have withstood it (Pay ranges everywhere have this kind of shit happen -all- the time) but my guess is that there were other nails already set in the coffin for SSC, and that was one of the things that pushed it over the edge with management.

-Mike

They could have withstood it (Pay ranges everywhere have this kind of shit happen -all- the time) but my guess is that there were other nails already set in the coffin for SSC, and that was one of the things that pushed it over the edge with management.

-Mike
Didn't they close the store when this happened too?? I know their prices were high but from what I understand you could try some of the stuff on the range.

That's not good. Probably a lot of innocent people now involved in a selfish act.

Been searching, but nothing in the local news about this yet.
I guess Bridgett The Midgets helicopter ride is dominating the news out of Salisbury today. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom