Quick Acess for Class B or A restricted

gene, I have another question for you. How do you get reciprocity in 22 states? Do you have another license, like a non-resident Florida license?

The reason I ask is my understanding of the Maine and New Hampshire license BOTH STATE: reciprocity will be granted to the license holder in any state that recognizes our states license to carry AND THE LICENSE HOLDER IS A RESIDENT OF THAT STATE.

Since you are not a resident of New Hampshire or Maine, I don't believe there is any reciprocity involved with your license, and you might get yourself in trouble if you act in accordance with that thought.

If I am not correct about this, I wish Scriv or Cross X or someone who knows will correct me.

Thanks for the idea about the small lock box

Bill

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Your assumption is not correct in full. Their are some of those states that do require you to be a resident but the vast majority do not.

Either of the two you mentioned can confirm that fact! Go to the link shown and you will see the list of states that honor the license resident or not.

Last edited:

By the way, as long as your clean the license in NH quick, the people are wonderful to deal with and it cost only about $20.00 for a CCW for all the states. (Verses MA that doesnt recipricate with hardly anyone) Maine is 60.00 but they are still class people and I personally feel Maine will add many more states down the road. I got these because I am a shriner in MA and NH and travel the North East for the shrine.

Last edited:
With you handling the application, that might well be the result.....

I applied for an upgrade and hope I will get it but I will tell you what. How about if we both put up $5000.00 if I dont get it and you can take the case. My record is as clean as it could be ( A lawyers dream) and you can write one of you fancy letters to the COP and scare the crap out of him. If he gives me the CCW with no restrictions you get the five grand but if he doesn't I keep your $5000.00. Does that work for you?

If it does we can sign the contract once I hear back if its not what I asked for! Now we will both be at the same level of risk!

Last edited:
If I could ask a question between rounds?
I'm in a similar situation, ( restricted MA LTC-A, valid NH non-resident pistol permit, belong to a NH range, and spend 90% of my waking time in NH). I've always thought that even if the gun were locked unloaded in the trunk or in a case, a loaded magazine had to be kept separate, or they could consider the gun as being loaded. Especially if the magazine is "readily available", say, as in your pocket.
I wish this were the only MA gun law I was confused about! If anyone could answer, I'd be grateful.
Bill

A class B license holder may not carry a loaded firearm of any type in his vehicle; all firearms must be carried unloaded, in the locked trunk or in a locked case or other secure container.

If its a concern keep the loaded magazine it in your pocket. The laws are written in such a way as to leave them open to interpertation. You have to ask yourself if the COP decides he considers the MAG and the Gun in the same box as loaded even when the mag is not in the gun, how will you convince him otherwise. Most of us would probably agree its not loaded and technically it is not. It may not be right but the world is not a perfect place and most people dont have thousands to argue against the COP in court especially when the judges usually side with them anyway.

Another point worth mentioning is that I never posted any suggestion of breaking any laws just suggested a method making it easier to live within the boundry of them. For all I know the COP could say you have a restriction for (Hunting and Target) and if you can't prove you were carrying your gun in the box to do either, he might be able to screw with your license. Right as you may be within the letter of the laws your still screwed paying lawyers and courts to get it back if you ever do.

Last edited:
gene, if all those states do give reciprocity it's great. Like you said, some like Florida, Colorado, Kansas and others don't.

I'm going to have to read my latest BATFE book of state laws and see if I interpret it the same way you do.

Some of this stuff is so deliberately confusing, that I barley trust my own reading of Massachusetts laws, never mind all those other states.

I have my NH and Maine LTC, and my Florida license is in process. I also hope to somehow get a RI Non-Res permit. It would be nice to be able to drive into Rhode Island without stopping first, emptying my gun and locking it up. There's only one town between where I live and the RI border, and going to RI is a common trip. I go there at least twice a week for the VA Hospital, and of course I can't carry there, so I leave my gun home, and feel quite naked until I get back to my house and pick up my carry gun.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

This will tell you in map format which states honor non resident and resident CCW as well as those that do not. You can build your own map. Its always best to recheck to make sure there are no changes. One of the other members posted it on the first page as well. The NRA website also has a reciprical section.

I hope I eventually get to meet Scriv FTF. Always curious to see if someone's online personality as perceived by me differs from their actual disposition.

I think you would find the real person quite different from the internet persona - its that way with 90% of the internet posters = esp. on gun boards...

gene, I have another question for you. How do you get reciprocity in 22 states? Do you have another license, like a non-resident Florida license?

The reason I ask is my understanding of the Maine and New Hampshire license BOTH STATE: reciprocity will be granted to the license holder in any state that recognizes our states license to carry AND THE LICENSE HOLDER IS A RESIDENT OF THAT STATE.

Since you are not a resident of New Hampshire or Maine, I don't believe there is any reciprocity involved with your license, and you might get yourself in trouble if you act in accordance with that thought.

If I am not correct about this, I wish Scriv or Cross X or someone who knows will correct me.

Thanks for the idea about the small lock box

Bill

The way I read it is the same as Depicts, I know that gun laws are very confusing but in this case it seems pretty clear.

Well would you rather be telling a judge you had you guns under your direct control or you left them in the car and someone robbed you? Take the lesser of two evils when you have done all you could and given the circumstances what else would you do?

If I did not have the proper license to carry them on my person then I would not stop to or from the range.

Last edited:
To each his own but it can be a long drive from Maine or New Hampshire to MA with your legs crossed after dringing that cup of DD.

Class A license authorizes carrying of handguns, in¬cluding large capacity handguns, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of handguns as the licensing authority deems proper, and carrying of rifles and shotguns, including large capacity rifles and shotguns, for all lawful purposes, subject to restrictions imposed by the licensing authority. A class A license holder may carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, if it is under his direct control

A Class B license authorizes carrying of non-large capacity handguns for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of such handguns as the licensing authority deems proper, and carrying of rifles and shotguns, including large capacity rifles and shotguns, for all lawful purposes, subject to restrictions imposed by the licens¬ing authority. However, a class B license does NOT entitle the holder to carry or possess a loaded firearm in a concealed manner in a public way or place. A class B license holder may not carry a loaded firearm of any type in his vehicle;all firearms must be carried unloaded, in the locked trunk or in a locked case or other secure container

Last edited:
Adding to that, I am licensed in New Hampshire and Maine and for those of you that have checked, I can carry concealed in roughly 21 other states with reciplrical agreements except for the republic of MA where I have lived and paid taxes my whole life.

So based on that comment you should be able to stop in Main, NH + the 21 other states etc without worry after "dringing" the cup of DD

So based on that comment you should be able to stop in Main, NH + the 21 other states etc without worry after "dringing" the cup of DD

I could, I do and I already have the case so the point of telling others on the forum about it was that its secure and meets the laws, easily accessable, protects the guns... and roomy, and innexpensive unlike many others costing much more and since I drive a pickup truck as others may as well, I have no trunk so its a locked case.

So your point again is what?[thinking] I would just like to know where your going with the questions and comments.[hmmm] If you want to be the devils advocate then lets dance![laugh] You seem inclined to feel as though something about the case for the purposes mentioned is either illegal or immoral or both. [rolleyes]

I could, I do and I already have the case so the point of telling others on the forum about it was that its secure and meets the laws, easily accessable, protects the guns... and roomy, and innexpensive unlike many others costing much more and since I drive a pickup truck as others may as well, I have no trunk so its a locked case.

So your point again is what?[thinking] I would just like to know where your going with the questions and comments.[hmmm] If you want to be the devils advocate then lets dance![laugh] You seem inclined to feel as though something about the case for the purposes mentioned is either illegal or immoral or both. [rolleyes]

The case is neither illegal or immoral. The idea itself however is not well thought out. As I have already stated earlier, it is not a good idea to walk into a rest-stop, building etc. other than your residence or the range with a case that screams "valuables-take me!" You're only begging for a BG to grab it from you. At that point you have no backup weapon and no guaranteed way of getting your guns back.

Your whole plan of keeping them safe is probably flawed with the idea that someone will not attempt to steal from you face to face.

People who walk around with bags of valuables(money) usually have guns on their hips(armored guards) and even these guys get robbed sometimes.

Remember your gun(s) are only yours as long as you have them in your possession. Which goes back to the other idea of not leaving them unattended in your car.

It is much easier and faster for someone to grab your box from your hands than it is to break into a vehicle and steal a case that is secured to the floor via cable or other apparatus whether it be truck or car.

Lastly, just because something isn't illegal or immoral doesn't mean its not foolish. Quasi-Security = no security.

Well I guess if I was in any of the other states which I have a CCW that would not be the issue. But I see your point and I would hope that common sense prevails armed or not. Still its a practical method of carrying multiple guns to and fro or far that matter to keep a single gun in the bedroom.

There are a thousand places you probably would not stop with the case because it might draw unwanted attention. But we are probably just [horse]

Back
Top Bottom