quick access handgun safe

rep308

NES Member
Now that all my kids are moved out I am comfortable again having a gun available for quick access. I want something that:

no batteries, minimum failure points
don't really care how strong meets MA laws
I can get quick with a combo like 1-1-1
don't want finger print readers or other tech crap that fails
as close to 'in the night stand' and still meets MA laws
can hold one to two handguns a his and her kind of thing.

no batteries requirement will limit the options.

the 9V battery in my multivault lasts >6 months. if you use a Li battery it goes way longer.
personally i like the battery powered combination safes. they are not terribly secure...definitely someone with crobar and an hour can open it. however, they can be opened by owner quicker than most standard nonbattery safes with a luggage-like combination system.

I keep my handgun safe dialed in with 2 of the numbers already, then stopped at zero. A quick spin to 37, and bingo. After I take out what I need, I turn it back to zero again.

I agree with Squib308; I think your options are limited with the no battery requirement.

I have had a MultiVault for about 5 years. I keep it bolted to the top shelf in the master bedroom and it allows for pretty good access. This model has 2 shelves and the four-finger outline on top that makes for quick alignment with the key pad. It is not the biometric model. I was happy enough with this style that I bought 3 more in different sizes. One for a second bedroom, one for my office and another for a second house. Even the smaller mini vault can accommodate 2 large frame pistols.

I have had to access the one in my bedroom a couple of times late at night. No light required, 3 key strokes and the door springs open. As far as the battery life goes I don't remember ever having to change them out. Two safes I access everyday and the others not that often. So far no issues with any of them.

I love(as much as you can love a gun safe) my Fort Knox handgun safe. It has a simplex pushbutton lock. Might be overkill for your situation, but worth the $$

I have both the Fort Knox and the GunVault.
The GunVault is 4 years old and the batteries are original.
Several times recently I've had to enter the opening sequence twice and I'm confident that I pressed the buttons correctly.
The Fort Knox has never failed to open on the first try.

ETA:
Consider how you want to use it.
The GunVault is in a drawer and opens from the front.
The FortKnox is on the floor next to the bed and opens from the top.

Last edited:
I have one of the small Gunvaults, I think the call it the micro. The batteries last for years.

It is big enough for a 226 with a laser/light combo and 2 spare mags. My hope is that 37 rounds of .40 is enough or is enough to fight my way to the bigger safes and rifles/ 30 round mags etc.

it's already been said, but something with a simplex knock like the ft Knox is the way to go.

V-Line safes are by far the best quick release safe you can buy. This safe has everything you are looking for:

http://shop.massfirearmsschool.com/deskmate-black-p-1487.html

We can order any V-Line safe you want (I have never seen anyone beat our prices on these). You can check out the full line here: http://vlineind.com/Default.php

I will vouch for that, before MFS carried them I bought one from amazon for $40 more than the sticker they had

No batteries, quick open resettable combo, they make good quick access stuff

Now that all my kids are moved out I am comfortable again having a gun available for quick access. I want something that:

Meh. I have a few SpeedVaults as a ready safes, having changed out the barrel locks for Abloy locks. If shorties are coming over I move the pistols to the big safe. I have a Google reminder to change the batteries.

I have a HandgunVault; not made anymore, got it 10yrs ago or so. simplex lock, weighs a ton. I'll probably get a Ft Knox or a VLine for a second

Here's mine.

DSC00299.jpg

There is no such thing as a quick access gun safe. Just buy a piece shit, leave it open under the bed and leave the damn gun out where it should be.

Then if you actually need to shoot, claim you opened the safe.

A while back I saw a safe that as it opened it lifted the butt of the pistol up and out for you to grab. Now I can't find it again. Has anyone seen something like this?

+1 on the Fort Knox. Well built, easy to use, easy to set your own combo. Check them out at Eastern security. They also have the V-line ones prices are comparable.

Gardall. Flush mount wall safe. 6 years going same battery. If bat runs out a temp plug charges to open so a new battery can be installed. In the wall 3 feet from where I sleep. Maybe 5 seconds to get in. Kids here so no room for error, key being found, flimsy steel and so on. 4 lag bolts lock this bad boy to the studs in my wall. 1/4 inch or so steel plate front door with 3 one inch steel sliding bars to keep it shut. Couldn't recommend these safe more highly. Good luck.

I've shopped around a lot for a good quick access biometric gunsafe and the best one that I've found is The GunBox Biometric + RF gun safe. Not only can I program all 10 of my fingerprints but I can program my husband's as well. It holds about 200 fingerprints. It also comes with a RFID label and wristband. They also offer some sweet RFID rings as well. It holds my gun plus a magazine. I've even seen pictures of people that can fit 2 smaller guns in it. You can bolt it down, upside down to a wall etc. You have access to your guns in about 3 seconds. This gun safe exceeded my expectations and blows GunVault out of the water. Gunvault is cheap and feels like those till boxes they use in retail. Their videos are impressive too. They have videos where the GunBox is put through a "torture test" not only by the company but by other companies as well. These gun safes are not only child proof but have an alarm so if it is moved it will go off (sounds like a fire alarm).

Fort Knox w/ simplex lock

Easy as hell to use and reliable.

+12 Fort Knox.
I got one for the same reasons as the OP, they're sexy.
I like the little lift assist on the door too.

Back
Top Bottom