• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Questions about M1 Garand from a novice

I just spoke to them to change my ship to from my house to FedEx pickup. My order (arrived 8/6, entered in the system 8/25) is set to go out by the end of this week, Monday at the latest according to her. They are out of H&Rs so Springfield's are what is shipping right now. Since I already have an H&R I wanted a Springfield anyway so that was good news I requested USGI wood and she wrote it on my physical order and said they would see what they can do. I can't wait until Tuesday to see what Santa brings me :)

Wow that's quick. Mine was received 8/14 but isn't on the estore yet. Sounds like I could get this rifle before the end of September maybe.

Okay, I need to ask a similar question and I don't think I can justify a new thread.

I'm ordering my first Garand from CMP the order was placed in April for an HRA service grade. This week they emailed me that they can substitute a Springfield of the same grade sooner.

I'm not sure which way to go.

Your opine? [wink]

I think someone stated earlier in the thread, that they're currently out of HRA's and only have Springfield's now? I don't think there's anything to lose with a Springfield especially waiting since April lol.

Last edited:
Okay, I need to ask a similar question and I don't think I can justify a new thread.

I'm ordering my first Garand from CMP the order was placed in April for an HRA service grade. This week they emailed me that they can substitute a Springfield of the same grade sooner.

Your opine? [wink]

I'd be itching to get my hands on one at this point if I was waiting since April!

I personally like the Springfields more. Some people sat the HRA was better made, but the military had standards that had to be met or they did not accept them so who really knows.
I'd take it whether it was an HRA or Springfield because it will ship next week so no more waiting.

I personally like the Springfields more. Some people sat the HRA was better made, but the military had standards that had to be met or they did not accept them so who really knows.
I'd take it whether it was an HRA or Springfield because it will ship next week so no more waiting.
the general consensuses is by the time HRA began manufacture all the little quirks and bugs where well worked out of the rifle/equipment ect ect. If your talking fit and finish my HRA rifles and HRA parts are more refined with less tool marks I will stress though the tool marks do nothing to affect function.....
My only experience with my 4 service grades is the 2 HRA shoot better than my 2 SA. I like them all though.

- - - Updated - - -

Your opine? [wink]
the only decision is how long do you want to continue waiting? cant go wrong with either really.

CMP cashed my check yesterday but it has yet to hit the estore. I would have thought it would be in the estore before cashing check? Anyway, it must be shipping fairly soon if they cashed my check I would think.

CMP cashed my check yesterday but it has yet to hit the estore. I would have thought it would be in the estore before cashing check? Anyway, it must be shipping fairly soon if they cashed my check I would think.
I believe they cash your check as not to loose it.

Ohh okay.

Orest
Chief Operating Officer Join Date: Sep 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there is no correlation between our cashing check and shipping time. We cash the check the day after we open the envelope. We amy not ship for up to a month (nowadays), depending on whether or not we have what you ordered ready to ship.

We don't post the bounced check on the website, but we do post photos in the post office.

right from the big O

Orest
Chief Operating Officer Join Date: Sep 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there is no correlation between our cashing check and shipping time. We cash the check the day after we open the envelope. We amy not ship for up to a month (nowadays), depending on whether or not we have what you ordered ready to ship.

We don't post the bounced check on the website, but we do post photos in the post office.

right from the big O

I'd say that answers my question haha. Thanks.

My order for the rifle and ammo hit the estore today! I would imagine it should be shipping in the next week or 2 after looking at the cmp new order timeline on the cmp forum.

My order for the rifle and ammo hit the estore today! I would imagine it should be shipping in the next week or 2 after looking at the cmp new order timeline on the cmp forum.

Mine hit the estore on the 25th and shipped yesterday, one week exactly if you remove the holiday. I'll have it in my grubby little hands after a stop at FedEx on the way home from work today! Hopefully yours ships in 1 week also.

Mine hit the estore on the 25th and shipped yesterday, one week exactly if you remove the holiday. I'll have it in my grubby little hands after a stop at FedEx on the way home from work today! Hopefully yours ships in 1 week also.

Thats great to hear! I can't wait until next week. Although I'll be in Fall River all next week for work. I'll have to pick it up at the fedex facility. I probably should ask now if I can have it shipped there rather than my house.

I'm not sure if it's too late to change. I just emailed the sales rep.

Last edited:
Both are SAs with new wood, bummer, I really wanted one with GI and talked to them and they thought it was no big deal. Oh well. 0 and 1 on the throat and 2 for both on the muzzle. Actions and receivers look brand new. Now it's time to take the 2 SAs and the H&R to the range together and see which one shoots best :)

Both are SAs with new wood, bummer, I really wanted one with GI and talked to them and they thought it was no big deal. Oh well. 0 and 1 on the throat and 2 for both on the muzzle. Actions and receivers look brand new. Now it's time to take the 2 SAs and the H&R to the range together and see which one shoots best :)

what do the numbers mean? I meant to ask when I saw the tag on my rifle.

what do the numbers mean? I meant to ask when I saw the tag on my rifle.
Its a rough indication of the condition of the barrel? really doesnt mean a heck of a lot I have a Service Grade SA with muzzle of 3 and throat of 4 and shoots just as well as my SG SA with a 1+ and 2 ? The "crown" condition is key in achieving the best accuracy from the "barrel"
http://www.fulton-armory.com/\faqs\M14-FAQs\TEGauge.htm Need not worry much about the numbers anything less than 3 on the muzzle and 5 on the throat is plenty good enough...

If you look into what M2 ball is required to do for military standards, well its about 4moa... The lot tested could have test groups 1 10 moa and 2 1 moa groupsand 7 groups of 3.99 MOA..... well that lot would be GTG for USGI with a average of 3.99moa ? As far as I can tell there where no set accuracy standards for a New manufactured rifle. I could not find the data or specs. Although in the over haul manual of the M1 garand US weapons department there is a standard for rebuilt rifles.
The short version at Rear sight centered and 8 clicks up from bottom shoot @ 1000 INCHES your M1 passes if you can place 5 consecutive shots with in a 3.4" wide x 5.11" tall rectangle aiming at a half round bull aprox 1.25"tall by 1.75" wide. the 5 shots can not be more than 1.77" CTC (with in the rectangle). States in the over haul manual 16 shots are allowed for testing.
if it fails it goes back through the line to figure out why.
Heres the target http://www.nicolausassociates.com/PDF/M1Target.pdf im not sure if this is to scale or not. The actual 1000" measurements can be found on the top right of the target diagram.

So if you can put 8 rounds into the black of a SR1 target @ 100 yards prone your service grade M1 garand and ammo are doing well and so are you....enjoy. If your rifle or you are not doing this well,,,,,, well its time to find out why? I have HXP that bottom line sucks and I have a few lots that shot 2moa from my 1903a3. My 4 SG all shoot right AROUND 4 MOA WITH MOST hxp. 2 rifles shoot 2moa with handloads. Im a ok shot and have improved over the last few years.... from 370s/500 to 450s/500 461/500 6X being my best so far.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the ammo doesn't require a signature?

oh yeah it sure does. They won't signature release it and if you have it held at the depot, its going to be at the Fedex GROUND depot which is usually a different place than you'd go for regular Fedex packages. They're 2 different entities really.

Don't forget to put the rifle in your bound book!

oh yeah it sure does. They won't signature release it and if you have it held at the depot, its going to be at the Fedex GROUND depot which is usually a different place than you'd go for regular Fedex packages. They're 2 different entities really.

Don't forget to put the rifle in your bound book!

Damn, I figured it wouldn't as all the ammo I buy from online vendors don't require a signature. The closest FedEx facility is the ship center in Peabody so I emailed the sales rep to see if they can ship it to there. It's a full ship center not one of those kinkos so I'd imagine it can be shipped there. I've shipped a handgun and a shotgun through them with no issues so.

Ahh yes, can't forget about the bound book. Thanks.

I think you can just have Fedex hold it for you once it ships

Ahh that's right. It's up to me to have FedEx hold it, not have CMP ship it directly to the FedEx facility. I got that confused. Sales rep is going to think I'm an idiot lol.

I have called fedex and had them hold it once it was en route and I have also had CMP use the address of the local fedex instead of my own on the order. Both result in a fedex pickup. Works great of you don't know if you will be home to sign for it or if you don't want the wife to sign for it ;-)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom