• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Questions about M1 Garand from a novice

Its perfect for Garands, loaded specifically for them. I've got to order some ammo from CMP but I've been feeding my Garand nothing but that American Eagle since I got it as I can buy it at the local gun shop (albeit for $1/round).

It is guaranteed to have an IHC receiver. That is all. I'm only buying one because I don't have an IHC. I have picked up and put down quite a few for considerably less over the years.
At least on this batch cmp put out you can choose LMR barrel or other.
They found a way to bump the price axbit more there...... I'm sure soon enough when the prices go up again across the board I will not be surprised if LMR barrels jump the price of all the garands?. .......... look around though cmp is still the best deal for a garand. Rifles considered field or rack grades are tagged @ 1k if not more.

Now that cmp has put a price on the ihc expect any local stores to really jump....

Last edited:
what do you guys think of the American Eagle .30-06 that's labelled "for M1 Garand use"?

it's a 150gr FMJ with relatively low muzzle velocity (2740 ft/s) so i would think it's a low pressure round.
any issues using it in an M1 garand?

thx

I'm not sure if velocity is a good indicator of preasure or not?.
Right now there's 4 choices that I know of you can shoot with out worry
Hornady match: sadly I don't think its in production at the moment
Federal AE which I never see stocked anywhere.
PPU m2 garand loads. I got 500rnd of this instead of the cmp loose ammo when it was. 60 cents around. Very good stuff. In my 03a3 I was getting sub 2" groups with ease. For you free starters you can find ppu for under 80 cents ea for 500rnds
HXP Greek surplus from the cmp....... good ammo should do well out of any garand. I have a lot# of 1972 production that kinda sucks and pushes the limit of the military standards. It does ok in my bolt guns though?
Then reload.

shooters outpost in hooksett had a boatload ofthe AE .30-06 150gr fmj for M1 garand

It all depends i guess. I think unless you know your shit and are buying to collect the safest route is a service grade or cmp special especially if you want to shoot.
Just for a idea on the difference cmp IHC service grade with lmr barrel released to masses is 995$
For those with plenty of money/collectors and those with more knowhow on the M1 you can get one of these

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail...national-Harvester-Corp-5156828-Correct-Grade

this is where all the "special" rifles end up.

IHCs sure didn't last long. All sold out by mid-afternoon.

they actually sold out friday, they just waited till monday to sort the orders.... if you did not over night it friday you had no chance... 200 or so lucky orders though get the back order for the next batch... Im actually a bit surprised they did not get more orders, well maybe not 900+ for a IHC reciever is a bit steep maybe?

How long did it take? I pulled the trigger on a service grade (thanks a lot guys ;) ) M1 and the wait begins. I figured I might want to get some ammo in the mean time.

sent using my crystal radio and a nine volt battery

order the ammo now, don't wait till the gun is enroute or you'll be waiting a couple of weeks or more.

It took just about 1 week. It was surprisingly fast. I got 206 rds. [pot]
It all looks pretty good with just some simple tarnishing. I wish I could have done 2 boxes but that will give me something to look forward to towards the end of the month. [smile]

Greg

Nice! I didn't know they slightly overpacked them, I picked up two boxes but didn't count them yet.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
not sure how they actually "count" them. Maybe torture the jr shooters down there. The 3 cans i got where 203,204, 207, I sorted by year. I been through 2 boxes completely and only 2 rounds I most likely wont put through a rifle.

I think its by weight with a little extra to make sure it isn't short. Someone was saying they literally shovel them into the plastic bags.

If you are looking for something historical. Then stick to the service grade. You will not be disappointed. The special grades are fine and looks brand new but the feature new non-GI wood and barrels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The service grade is no guarantee you will get a GI stock. Mine is a service grade with new wood. If a stock is in too rough of shape for service grade, they replace with new is my guess. You would think they have GI stocks around but someone on another forum had commented that GI stocks that are service grade may be running out and they wouldn't put a field grade stock on a service grade rifle. Only the CMP knows why I guess. Either way, going through the CMP is going to get you a good rifle at a good price. As the main point with the responses, you won't be disappointed. I'm happy I finally got one.

Greg

The service grade is no guarantee you jwill get a GI stock. Mine is a service grade with new wood. If a stock is in too rough of shape for service grade, they replace with new is my guess. You would think they have GI stocks around but someone on another forum had commented that GI stocks that are service grade may be running out and they wouldn't put a field grade stock on a service grade rifle. Only the CMP knows why I guess. Either way, going through the CMP is going to get you a good rifle at a good price. As the main point with the responses, you won't be disappointed. I'm happy I finally got one.

Greg

From the articles in the GCA magazine appears cmp received several garands with out wood. If the put any "rack or field" grade wood on a service grade they amount of complaints would be high also no wood for the lesser grades....complaints on a rack/ field grade with new wood would be higher!
I have 4 service grades the "gi " wood is good. The new wood did not fit so well. Either did the new stock from cmp on my A3.
There is debate on how historicle the cmp rifles are...as they tear them down inspect clean and rebuild as needed.....from what I understand all but the cherry picked "collectables" get this treatment at some level.

Here is a nice "cherry picked" example
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=1945&n=M1-Garand-SA-Collector-WWII-3474912

Last edited:
sent forms to CMP on 5/31/14
H&R M1 Garand special grade arrived on 7/7/14. its damn nice lookin too.

seemed pretty darn quick!!!

i know theres a problem when i can get a CMP M1 Garand in about 1/4 the time of an LTC-A

sent forms to CMP on 5/31/14
H&R M1 Garand special grade arrived on 7/7/14. its damn nice lookin too.

seemed pretty darn quick!!!

i know theres a problem when i can get a CMP M1 Garand in about 1/4 the time of an LTC-A

that is great news! I have an email saying they "received" my order on 6-5-14, so I'm hoping they get mine out soon.

that is great news! I have an email saying they "received" my order on 6-5-14, so I'm hoping they get mine out soon.

perhaps one reason mine was quick is i ordered the special grade, though i later learned i probably spent an extra $300 on unnecessary refurbishing.

but either way, 6 weeks from mail -> door is amazing.

perhaps one reason mine was quick is i ordered the special grade, though i later learned i probably spent an extra $300 on unnecessary refurbishing.

but either way, 6 weeks from mail -> door is amazing.

You ordered the cmp special which is really a bargin @ 1000$. Think it through a little. Unless you got a garand cheap or from your grandfather.
Rebarrel and refinished if all other parts are serviceable will run you 1000$ easy plus shipping ectect.

Back
Top Bottom