Questions about M1 Garand from a novice

92G

So I'm interested in acquiring an M1 Garand, mostly due to historical importance and I'd like to have one in our family to hand down to my kids.

I've read through most of the M1 threads on NES but still have some questions I was hoping you folks could point me in right direction:

1. Should I use CMP, gunbroker or local dealer? I've heard good things about CMP and I indeed have a C&R license so I was leaning towards using CMP...but what are other good sources of the rifles?

2. If I use CMP, what is an appropriate "grade" of rifle. Currently they have a Harrington and Richardson Service Grade for $625, which sounds good to me but I don't want to drop the $$ and find out I got a POS. Are these types of M1 Garands worth a purchase? Or are they junk?
Keep in mind I'm not looking for a "perfect" collectors rifle...just one that looks nice and functions for the probably 1-2x I will ever shoot it.

3. CMP also has refurbished "excellent" M1 Garands for $995. Would you suggest I go this route?

4. What's with the .308 chambered M1 Garands? I thought they were .30-06. I already have several .308 rifles so that would probably be more convenient for me, but can you guys explain to me why the .308 M1 Garand even exists?

5. Since I have a C&R, do you see any reason NOT to have CMP ship directly to my home? Like is there anything risky about that? It seems perfectly legal from what I can tell.

6. Anything else you feel a M1 Garand noob like myself should know?

Thanks everyone!
-squib308

CMP is the best. No POS as I'm aware off from anyone buying from them. Every rifle is a shooter. You just need to make up your mind if you like to keep original condition or want newly look one.

Beware of Garand thumb.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

5. Since I have a C&R, do you see any reason NOT to have CMP ship directly to my home? Like is there anything risky about that? It seems perfectly legal from what I can tell.

The CMP will ship directly to your home regardless of having a C&R. They are just special that way. You just need to be home to sign for the package. You can contact FedEx and have them hold the package at their nearest depot and you can pick it up from them if you want too. Be sure to buy some greek 30-06 from them too (unless you go .308).

Read the grade descriptions carefully on the CMP site. They can be a bit confusing. Most rifles they have are arsenal rebuilds and have many parts replaced, from various manufacturers. However a rifle from the CMP will function correctly and is a great deal. I bought 2 service grade HRAs a few months back.

Last edited:
I have an HRA Service Grade from the CMP, and it's in very good shape. It was worth the money and more.

I've never got a bad rifle from the CMP plus they are the cheapest you will find. Go with the CMP. I just sent for an IHC they just released.

I'll be going to the Anniston store next Saturday [smile]

So I'm interested in acquiring an M1 Garand, mostly due to historical importance and I'd like to have one in our family to hand down to my kids.

I've read through most of the M1 threads on NES but still have some questions I was hoping you folks could point me in right direction:

1. Should I use CMP, gunbroker or local dealer? I've heard good things about CMP and I indeed have a C&R license so I was leaning towards using CMP...but what are other good sources of the rifles?

2. If I use CMP, what is an appropriate "grade" of rifle. Currently they have a Harrington and Richardson Service Grade for $625, which sounds good to me but I don't want to drop the $$ and find out I got a POS. Are these types of M1 Garands worth a purchase? Or are they junk?
Keep in mind I'm not looking for a "perfect" collectors rifle...just one that looks nice and functions for the probably 1-2x I will ever shoot it.

3. CMP also has refurbished "excellent" M1 Garands for $995. Would you suggest I go this route?

4. What's with the .308 chambered M1 Garands? I thought they were .30-06. I already have several .308 rifles so that would probably be more convenient for me, but can you guys explain to me why the .308 M1 Garand even exists?

6. Anything else you feel a M1 Garand noob like myself should know?

Thanks everyone!
-squib308

When the US settled on 7.62 x 51 as the NATO standard, the US Navy wanted to make use of existing M1 Garand, so they developed a chamber insert that would convert the M1 garand to 7.62 x 51. I have heard mixed reviews of how effective the chamber insert method was. The italians also did M1 conversions to 308, culminating in the BM59 which is fairly heavily modified from the original design (it uses a detachable box magazine).

The .308 M1 garands that CMP sells uses a new manufacture .308 barrel, they also put a spacer in the magizine well so that clips of 30-06 cannot be inserted. You could also buy a 30-06 service grade and a criterion 308 barrel and have a gunsmith install the new barrel for you.

- - - Updated - - -

The CMP will ship directly to your home regardless of having a C&R. They are just special that way. You just need to be home to sign for the package. You can contact FedEx and have them hold the package at their nearest depot and you can pick it up from them if you want too. Be sure to buy some greek 30-06 from them too (unless you go .308).

Read the grade descriptions carefully on the CMP site. They can be a bit confusing. Most rifles they have are arsenal rebuilds and have many parts replaced, from various manufacturers. However a rifle from the CMP will function correctly and is a great deal. I bought 2 service grade HRAs a few months back.
How long did it take between placing your order to having the rifles in hand?

YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG WITH A SERVICE GRADE FROM THE CMP!

You could also buy a 30-06 service grade and a criterion 308 barrel and have a gunsmith install the new barrel for you. < you are far better off ordering a CMP special!

RM1308SPCLHRA HRA CMP special part number in stock and shipping pretty fast....

The cost of buying a service grade, barrel and the cost of the gunsmith to remove,install and headspace the new barrel will be more than the cmp special.

Last edited:
1) Use the CMP. Best price and shipped to your door.
2) I have an H&R Service Grade and she is a beauty, I am very pleased with it. Good park on all metal and a GI stock.
3) My opinion is to stick with a field or service grade and spend the rest on HXP .30-06.
4) As stated earlier they originally were a Navy Special but nowadays are new production Criterion barrels with no extra collector value if you want to consolidate calibers or simply prefer .308.
5) Any fine upstanding citizen C&R or not may have it shipped to home, or in my case work so I could sign for it [smile].
6) Don't make her a safe queen! Shoot it often and have fun. The collector grade rifles usually go to the CMP auction site so don't hold your breath that a field or service grade will be worth millions in our lifetime haha.

I just got mine. I ordered the service grade Springfield from the CMP and it took 4 months but it is basically a new rifle with a 1942 receiver.
Yes it was a little bit of a wait but you're not going to find one for a better deal (IMO) plus you're supporting a program that does a lot of good.
Good things come to those who are willing to wait.

Greg

So between field grade ($700) vs CMP special "excellent" ($1000)....which should i get?

BTW i waited 4 mos for an LTC...so i can certainly wait for an M1 Garand

How did you even find out about the IHC? I don't see anything on their website about them.

Cmp email notice and cmp forum and yes sold out I'm sure....not by Monday but a few hours after the email notice. Good thing though is limit of 1 per order.

Too late. They will be out of IHC's Monday morning.
Not a good choice as a shooter. They had a lot of problems, and wound up having many parts supplied them by SA and H&R.

The rationale was interesting. A study indicated that the US firearms industry was concentrated in the Northeast and thus vulnerable to nuclear attack. So they contracted production to IHC, who had substantial manufacturing expertise. But this expertise proved no match for firearm production.

I'd expect most IHC's to be "mixmasters."

So between field grade ($700) vs CMP special "excellent" ($1000)....which should i get?

BTW i waited 4 mos for an LTC...so i can certainly wait for an M1 Garand

This is completely up to you.
You cant go wrong value wise with either.
Do not confuse the CMP SPECIAL with the Service Grade Special.

CMP special is a good deal and its as close to new as you can get for 1k. Its also a great shooter and you wont devalue it buy shooting it vs buying a un issued m1 for 5k.
CMP service grade special is just a service grade with very good finish. Again it wont be correct grade or collector grade all those go to cmp auction.
Service grade great rifles good shooters and should last another life time or so.
Depending on your budget 1000.00
Will get you a service grade rifle 655$ shipped to your door. 15$ for a web sling
400 rounds of hxp 270$
Leaves you 60$ for clips and other odds and ends. Or you can spend that last 60$ going to a cmp shoot while you wait for your rifle.
Hanson rod and gun has theirs sat June 7th 830 am 35$ 60 rounds gun and target or Pembroke old colony on fathers day and shoot a cmp clinic/match!
As noted in previous post .....get out and shoot these great machines. Keep cmp going by attending cmp shoots/clinics/matches

Not a good choice as a shooter. They had a lot of problems, and wound up having many parts supplied them by SA and H&R.

The rationale was interesting. A study indicated that the US firearms industry was concentrated in the Northeast and thus vulnerable to nuclear attack. So they contracted production to IHC, who had substantial manufacturing expertise. But this expertise proved no match for firearm production.

That is correct...only thing you are sure of is ihc reciever....as with any service grade.

How did you even find out about the IHC? I don't see anything on their website about them.

Here is the notice.....good luck people! Garand, get one!

INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER CORPORATION M1 GARANDS. CMP currently has 511 Service Grade IHC M1 Garand rifles (with LMR barrels) available for purchase. The CMP North and CMP South stores will be allocated 64 of these rifles each. The balance of 383 rifles will be reserved for mail order purchase. Price of these rifles, CMP item number RM1IHCSLMR, is $975 plus $29.95 S&H. CMP also has 384 Service grade IHC M1 Garand rifles that do not have LMR barrels. Price of these rifles, CMP item number RM1IHCS, is $925 plus $29.95 S&H. Please note that the only part on either of these two item numbers guaranteed to be the IHC is the receiver. Purchasers are limited to only one IHC M1 Garand per customer. Mail orders will be accepted immediately until enough orders are received to allocate the current inventory. Rifles will be available at the stores on 5 June, 2014. We do still have approximately 2,000 IHC rifles to inspect and repair and make ready for sale. We expect the next partial IHC release to be in November, 2014, but it may be sooner.

M1 GARAND GRADE “C” STRIPPED RECEIVERS. CMP is now offering for sale several hundred Springfield Armory Stripped grade C receivers. The receivers are stripped and do not have sights or any other parts. These receivers have all been reparkerized and have a uniform finish but will have some pitting above and below the wood line and some of the engraving /stamping may be worn and difficult to read. None of these defects should affect proper functioning if built up into a complete rifle. Item number is RM1RECSAC. Price is $125 plus $9.95 S&H.

RIFLE S&H CHARGES INCREASED. Effective immediately S&H charges for rifle shipments are increased from $24.95 to $29.95. All orders received prior to 9 June, 2014 will be charged the current S&H of $24.95.

Here is the notice.....good luck people! Garand, get one!

INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER CORPORATION M1 GARANDS. CMP currently has 511 Service Grade IHC M1 Garand rifles (with LMR barrels) available for purchase. The CMP North and CMP South stores will be allocated 64 of these rifles each. The balance of 383 rifles will be reserved for mail order purchase. Price of these rifles, CMP item number RM1IHCSLMR, is $975 plus $29.95 S&H. CMP also has 384 Service grade IHC M1 Garand rifles that do not have LMR barrels. Price of these rifles, CMP item number RM1IHCS, is $925 plus $29.95 S&H. Please note that the only part on either of these two item numbers guaranteed to be the IHC is the receiver. Purchasers are limited to only one IHC M1 Garand per customer. Mail orders will be accepted immediately until enough orders are received to allocate the current inventory. Rifles will be available at the stores on 5 June, 2014. We do still have approximately 2,000 IHC rifles to inspect and repair and make ready for sale. We expect the next partial IHC release to be in November, 2014, but it may be sooner.

M1 GARAND GRADE “C” STRIPPED RECEIVERS. CMP is now offering for sale several hundred Springfield Armory Stripped grade C receivers. The receivers are stripped and do not have sights or any other parts. These receivers have all been reparkerized and have a uniform finish but will have some pitting above and below the wood line and some of the engraving /stamping may be worn and difficult to read. None of these defects should affect proper functioning if built up into a complete rifle. Item number is RM1RECSAC. Price is $125 plus $9.95 S&H.

RIFLE S&H CHARGES INCREASED. Effective immediately S&H charges for rifle shipments are increased from $24.95 to $29.95. All orders received prior to 9 June, 2014 will be charged the current S&H of $24.95.

Thanks for the info. The stripped receivers are very interesting... I think there are still some BM59 parts kits out there.

Thanks for the info. The stripped receivers are very interesting... I think there are still some BM59 parts kits out there.
Yes there are kits available. I have not seen any that are a "great " price.
About 600$ 125$ for reciever then God know how much to have reciever modified
Head space ectect. You can pick up a modified garand from a few places for about 1300$

Sending my paperwork to CMP today.
will let you guys know when i receive.

Good luck! Just a heads up, they are shipping the ammo pretty much right away now. My ammo shipped only a couple days after I got the email that they had processed my forms.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Too late. They will be out of IHC's Monday morning.

In the email, it says the rifles in the stores will be available June 5th. I plan on going on the 7th because I can't go any earlier, but I'm going to give them a call beforehand to make sure they have any left.

In the email, it says the rifles in the stores will be available June 5th. I plan on going on the 7th because I can't go any earlier, but I'm going to give them a call beforehand to make sure they have any left.
I'm am going to say you should go to the store anyway just to check it out. They might have something else that tickles you. As for the IHC the 64 they allotted for each store will be gone on the 5th. Shocked if they are not. I would emagine there will be a line waiting out the door on the 5th and I'm sure some buyers will have friends with them to buy extra's. As much as I like to have a IHC just to fill the manufacture slot......I'm just not willing to pay 975$

Good luck! Just a heads up, they are shipping the ammo pretty much right away now. My ammo shipped only a couple days after I got the email that they had processed my forms.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

What is the benefit for buying the ammo from CMP versus any other online source? It is just 30-06 correct?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What is the benefit for buying the ammo from CMP versus any other online source? It is just 30-06 correct?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The ammo from the CMP that has been mentioned is Greek HXP surplus. It is M2 Ball ammo, which is what the Garand was designed to shoot. It is the same as modern 30-06 FMJ except that it is loaded to be a little less powerful. Using modern 30-06 in a Garand can damage the gas system due to the higher pressures developed. Some manufacturers make 30-06 that generates less pressure and market it as Garand ammo, but it is pricey and not always available. The HXP from the CMP is around $0.60/round shipped to your door, is non corrosive and you get a free ammo can with each 200 rounds you buy.

Price, mostly. Finding milsurp '06 is getting problematic, and CMP has the best source of non-corrosive '06 at the best prices. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that if you buy Greek .30-06 anywhere, it's just CMP ammo someone bought and marked up.

For non-milsurp .30-06, Prvi Partizan is loading new .30-06 150grn FMJ at $0.73 a round shipped to NH. You can get it from AIM Surplus.

You want to stay away from commercial .30-06 that's not actually made for a Garand. The pressure curve is all wrong, and you can bend an op rod, among other things.

ETA: need to learn to type faster.

It is guaranteed to have an IHC receiver. That is all. I'm only buying one because I don't have an IHC. I have picked up and put down quite a few for considerably less over the years.

what do you guys think of the American Eagle .30-06 that's labelled "for M1 Garand use"?

it's a 150gr FMJ with relatively low muzzle velocity (2740 ft/s) so i would think it's a low pressure round.
any issues using it in an M1 garand?

thx

Back
Top Bottom