Questions about M1 Garand from a novice

For the most part all the cosmoline is cleaned off before they inspect them. There may be some in places, but nothing like a Mosin or other foreign milsurp.
You will need some grease for the rifle. It uses grease and not oil for function. Also look at the CMP's sight for proper grease points.

Will do, thanks for the tip.

You would have put a note on your order if you wanted anything specific.

Not according to what the ladies in the customer service dept told me last year when I ordered. They said the time to put in a note for special requests is AFTER it hits the e-store (which is now for Andrew)

You can request specific vintage (e.g. ww2), GI or new wood, etc. I requested ww2 & GI wood and got both.

Not according to what the ladies in the customer service dept told me last year when I ordered. They said the time to put in a note for special requests is AFTER it hits the e-store (which is now for Andrew)

You can request specific vintage (e.g. ww2), GI or new wood, etc. I requested ww2 & GI wood and got both.

Hmmm, I'll have to do some googling to see what the different wood types look like. I don't mind if it's new or old wood, just really don't want cracks in the stock. Scratches or light dings aren't a big deal especially for it's age.

Nice! I hope mine will come ready to shoot.

Yeah it is a good size rifle, I need to rearrange the rifles in my safe to get it to fit. I think I may have to buy another safe next year.

at the minimum you need to field strip and clean. You will want to clean barrel and chamber also. They will have oil in them.

The M1 does not need a lot of "grease" JCG designed to actually take a beating dry!
Grease on parts that slide light film of oil on the rest.

Last edited:

at the minimum you need to field strip and clean. You will want to clean barrel and chamber also. They will have oil in them.

The M1 does not need a lot of "grease" JCG designed to actually take a beating dry!
Grease on parts that slide light film of oil on the rest.

Ya I figured at the least, I should field strip and clean it.

Any advice/recommendations on requesting a specific type of wood stock? I wouldn't mind a few minor dings to show it's age and use but I just don't want a beat to hell/cracked stock either.

Should I just google m1 garand wood types or something? Or by not making any requests through email, will they just pick one that's in the best condition for a service grade? I thought I read something on the CMP website that they're no longer allowing specific manufacturers to be picked, they'll just grab what is in better condition?

Ya I figured at the least, I should field strip and clean it.

Any advice/recommendations on requesting a specific type of wood stock? I wouldn't mind a few minor dings to show it's age and use but I just don't want a beat to hell/cracked stock either.

Should I just google m1 garand wood types or something? Or by not making any requests through email, will they just pick one that's in the best condition for a service grade? I thought I read something on the CMP website that they're no longer allowing specific manufacturers to be picked, they'll just grab what is in better condition?

I am not sure you really have much of an option. I requested original wood. I got new wood. I spent the time to finish it properly and now it looks great. That said, who knows what would happen if you call them up and ask nicely.

I think most people who order a service grade ask for USGI stock, pretty please with a cherry on top. The new wood is nice, too, and can be made a lot nicer, so you really can't lose either way.

I am not sure you really have much of an option. I requested original wood. I got new wood. I spent the time to finish it properly and now it looks great. That said, who knows what would happen if you call them up and ask nicely.

So the new wood is unfinished? No staining/sealant or whatever they use?

I read in an older forum that you should wait until it hits the estore to make a request? I'm assuming mine is in the estore now, since I received an email from CMP?

I found this photo from milsurps.com forum. From bottom - top, new italian walnut, usgi walnut, and usgi birch. They all seem nice but the usgi walnut seems to be in the worst condition but it's seen some use so it's understandable. The new wood doesn't look that bad either. Doesn't seem like you can really lose anything by not requesting a specific wood.

DSCF1826-1.jpg

If you get new wood on a rifle from CMP it will have a linseed oil finish. I have a special grade with a new manufacture stock and the finish was dull. I put on 4-5 coats of Tom's 1/3 wax and It's a pretty stock.

Most people at least throw on a few more coats of BLO.

If you get new wood on a rifle from CMP it will have a linseed oil finish. I have a special grade with a new manufacture stock and the finish was dull. I put on 4-5 coats of Tom's 1/3 wax and It's a pretty stock.

Most people at least throw on a few more coats of BLO.

The finish on the new wood is nothing more than a lightly sprayed on stain to even out the color of the 3 pieces .
CMP request. You can put all the stickies or request you want. The best bet is the person who is in charge of assigning the serial number to your order knows what serial number range is for your requested range. WWII, POST WAR, late 50s ectect.
From what I understand they don't know if it has gi or new wood at that point.
if you don't believe its a spray on stain go ahead and strip or sand that new wood. See what you come up with.

Well I emailed the sales rep and said it would be great if I could request USGI wood but understand if it's the luck of the draw for what's available.

Hopefully I'll get it by Halloween? I'd like to get my 84 yo Korean War vet grandfather out shooting it before he heads up to Maine for deer hunting.

Well I emailed the sales rep and said it would be great if I could request USGI wood but understand if it's the luck of the draw for what's available.

Hopefully I'll get it by Halloween? I'd like to get my 84 yo Korean War vet grandfather out shooting it before he heads up to Maine for deer hunting.

Go into the e-store and put your request in the comments section of the rifle order.

Even with the new wood, they can still look good. This has 7 or 8 coats of BLO rubbed into it. Sit in front of the computer, watch an episode of Combat and just work it in. Repeat as many times as you want. I only hit the stock with 0000 steel wool once before starting with the oil. I'm happy with it.
M1.jpg

Greg

Even with the new wood, they can still look good. This has 7 or 8 coats of BLO rubbed into it. Sit in front of the computer, watch an episode of Combat and just work it in. Repeat as many times as you want. I only hit the stock with 0000 steel wool once before starting with the oil. I'm happy with it.
View attachment 112562

Greg

Damn, that looks great! I'd be more than happy to have one that looks like that. Nice job.

Go into the e-store and put your request in the comments section of the rifle order.

Oops, I thought I read on here that you just email them sales rep. Okay, so I just have to register and make an account?

More pix can't hurt right?. Got this in early June from CMP, my first M1. 6-digit SASG. May 1941. 7-41 SA barrel, 1+, 1+. 50's SA stock. Back in January I included a sticky requesting a good shooter with nice wood, never expected a prewar, I think what you get depends mostly on luck of the draw.
20140607_103443_zpsacf19a27.jpg
This is the second or third clip I put through it after quick sight-in. Shoots great.
20140607_131137_zps31f0c69e.jpg
The next day I sent my order in for a HRA SG, glad I made it before the price increase while you could still select Mfg. Still waiting patiently.

More pix can't hurt right?. Got this in early June from CMP, my first M1. 6-digit SASG. May 1941. 7-41 SA barrel, 1+, 1+. 50's SA stock. Back in January I included a sticky requesting a good shooter with nice wood, never expected a prewar, I think what you get depends mostly on luck of the draw.
View attachment 112563
This is the second or third clip I put through it after quick sight-in. Shoots great.
View attachment 112564
The next day I sent my order in for a HRA SG, glad I made it before the price increase while you could still select Mfg. Still waiting patiently.

Wow that's nice! And nice shooter, what distance are those shots from? Maybe I'll request the same thing once I figure out this estore thing. So I just need to email them and tell them to register my account?

Please forgive me if these are stupid questions. I've just never ordered from CMP before.

There is no place on the estore to put comments. You can put in comments on the order form or you can add a post-it note.

you can only place comments on items ordered from the estore. Any changes or request on rifle purchases need to be made per customer service.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, I thought I read on here that you just email them sales rep. Okay, so I just have to register and make an account?

https://estore.thecmp.org/store/cart/cart.aspx?mw=user&new=Y try this link to set up estore account

Wow that's nice! And nice shooter, what distance are those shots from? Maybe I'll request the same thing once I figure out this estore thing. So I just need to email them and tell them to register my account?

Please forgive me if these are stupid questions. I've just never ordered from CMP before.

Those were just 25 yds.
I think in the estore you can simply create an account online, no need to email. You can do this before you mail in your order if you want, but you don't have to. This sets you up in the system and assigns you a customer number, and gives you an estore login. The paper order form has a spot to put your customer number, so when your paper order and credentials get processed it gets tied to your account. This way you can start checking the estore for status. You don't have to do it this way but that's what I did.
Check out the forums on the cmp site for lots of info. Good luck and get ready to wait.

you can only place comments on items ordered from the estore. Any changes or request on rifle purchases need to be made per customer service.

- - - Updated - - -

https://estore.thecmp.org/store/cart/cart.aspx?mw=user&new=Y try this link to set up estore account

Hah apparently they make the account for you as I just tried to register and it said my email already existed. So I did the forgot password and then logged in. Nothing in my order history or pending orders yet.

Hah apparently they make the account for you as I just tried to register and it said my email already existed. So I did the forgot password and then logged in. Nothing in my order history or pending orders yet.
You received the order confirmation from cmp known as the DBU don't bother us. Now all you can do is hurry up and wait. Figure your pending or status on your estore will be in a few weeks..... looking over on cmp. Seems the service grades ordered after mid July are moving out pretty fast less than 40 days.
My longest wait for a service grade Jan 4 delivered July 3!
I'm still waiting on 22lr been over a year.

Last edited:
You received the order confirmation from cmp known as the DBU don't bother us. Now all you can do is hurry up and wait. Figure your pending or status on your estore will be in a few weeks..... looking over on cmp. Seems the service grades ordered after mid July are moving out pretty fast less than 40 days.
My longest wait for a service grade Jan 4 delivered July 3!
I'm still waiting on 22lr been over a year.

Yeah looking at the new order timeline on the CMP forum, many people are receiving their rifles in less than a month! Oh boy I can't wait [laugh]

Just got an email back from sales rep, Lindsey Smith:

I have placed a note with your order for your request.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you.

I'll find out eventually if her note helped or not.

Last edited:
There is no place on the estore to put comments. You can put in comments on the order form or you can add a post-it note.

There was a comment box once I opened the pending order, I think down in the lower left. That's where they told me to add my request last year around this time when I ordered which I did and it was honored.

I just spoke to them to change my ship to from my house to FedEx pickup. My order (arrived 8/6, entered in the system 8/25) is set to go out by the end of this week, Monday at the latest according to her. They are out of H&Rs so Springfield's are what is shipping right now. Since I already have an H&R I wanted a Springfield anyway so that was good news I requested USGI wood and she wrote it on my physical order and said they would see what they can do. I can't wait until Tuesday to see what Santa brings me :)

Yeah looking at the new order timeline on the CMP forum, many people are receiving their rifles in less than a month! Oh boy I can't wait [laugh]

Just got an email back from sales rep, Lindsey Smith:

I have placed a note with your order for your request.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you.

I'll find out eventually if her note helped or not.

You really never know? unless you ask. I asked for WWII serial range on my first 2 orders
1. was a 1952 SA with a nice post war stock heavy mix master
2. was a 1942SA with a ok post war stock, 75% SA parts and a 1955 barrel
3. was HRA requested as close to end of production as possible, recieved a new wood stock on it and all but the gas plug and op rod are HRA
4. #3 was so nice I took a shot at another with a LMR barrel request. Mix master with ok USGI stock LMR barrel ( this lmr barreled M1 did not live up to the "fame" the lmr barrels recieve)....im not as pleased with this one as #3. by far the worst shooting M1 i have right from cmp. took some work to get it alot better...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom