• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Questions about M1 Garand from a novice

I received my M1 yesterday!

The only reason I received it now was because I was told that if I was willing to "accept" a Springfield I could get one sooner - they were processing orders from April as of two weeks ago. As soon as I said "hell yea" they shipped the rifle in a couple of days!

I haven't spent a lot of time checking it out, but it looks to be in great shape. The serial number puts the rifle (I'm sure just the receiver) as manufactured in June 1942.

I did not know that I was going to get a hard case, one enbloc and the DVD "America's rifle - the M1 Garand". I'm very excited to shoot the gun, but I'll probably have to wait a few weeks because of my knee surgery.

Couple of questions: I'd love to find a multi-tool for dis-assembly and cleaning, and the leather slings look like a great match for the gun (as I saw on the DVD). Anyone know where I can buy these items?

IMG_20140818_192642859.jpg IMG_20140818_192334223.jpg

The only reason I received it now was because I was told that if I was willing to "accept" a Springfield I could get one sooner - they were processing orders from April as of two weeks ago. As soon as I said "hell yea" they shipped the rifle in a couple of days!

I haven't spent a lot of time checking it out, but it looks to be in great shape. The serial number puts the rifle (I'm sure just the receiver) as manufactured in June 1942.

I did not know that I was going to get a hard case, one enbloc and the DVD "America's rifle - the M1 Garand". I'm very excited to shoot the gun, but I'll probably have to wait a few weeks because of my knee surgery.

Couple of questions: I'd love to find a multi-tool for dis-assembly and cleaning, and the leather slings look like a great match for the gun (as I saw on the DVD). Anyone know where I can buy these items?

View attachment 111986View attachment 111985
i had the exact same experience, put in for an H&R field grade, got an e-mail "do you want a springfield instead?" Two days later at my house but no DVD :(

I sent my forms out a little over a week ago but didn't specify which manufacturer I wanted as I was only concerned with condition. So I probably won't be asked in an email which one I want?

Damn, they were still doing April orders?! Looks like I'll be lucky to get mine by Christmas maybe.

I sent my forms out a little over a week ago but didn't specify which manufacturer I wanted as I was only concerned with condition. So I probably won't be asked in an email which one I want?

Nope! if you just requested an RM1SERVICE, they'll take whatever is on the top of the stack.

It's too bad you didn't get a DVD - I didn't notice mine under the foam until mac1911 told me to look there for it, still haven't gotten a chance to watch it.

I didn't specify at all - just asked for a service grade rifle initially. Once you have an email from your customer service rep, just email him/her back - they were very responsive for me.

Very nice, mine is a 1944 springfield, just took it to the CMP shoot on Sunday at Hanson, it shoots much better than I do, hopefully with practice I'll be able to wield its full potential. you'll love it.

Nice rifle!

I think I got a bolt and chamber brush tool a from Fulton Armory. These are very handy to have. It's a repro, but the originals are hard to find and when I did find them they were going for crazy prices.

Check gunboards's trader forum for an original leather sling. Fair priced WW2 dated M1907 slings are still out there if you have some patience.

Nice rifle!

I think I got a bolt and chamber brush tool a from Fulton Armory. These are very handy to have. It's a repro, but the originals are hard to find and when I did find them they were going for crazy prices.

Check gunboards's trader forum for an original leather sling. Fair priced WW2 dated M1907 slings are still out there if you have some patience.

I found this on Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DFAQG78/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATSQ5DT6W1CGC it looks like original issue M3A1 combo tool - and the comments seem to back it up!

Nope! if you just requested an RM1SERVICE, they'll take whatever is on the top of the stack.

Cool. Good to know. Hopefully I'll get an email soon. I paid by check, so when do they cash the check? Just before the rifle ships out?

Glenn's in North Reading has a couple of these combo tools on the shelf. He also had some Garand food, both surplus and the 500 round Prvi cans for $375!
.....that's a pretty good price on the privi.

http://www.m1garand.com/store/m1_garand_accessories.html

Just about everything you need. As for slings. Want one for looks there are many reproductions. Want one for function http://www.m1garand.com/store/m1_garand_accessories.html
Want one for actual shooting get the service rifle sling or a usgi web sling.

I didn't specify at all - just asked for a service grade rifle initially. Once you have an email from your customer service rep, just email him/her back - they were very responsive for me.

Just curious, how long after you mailed the forms, did you get an email?

I think it is usually within about 10 days that you get the email but it varies. Google CMP new order timeline - you'll get a forum thread on the cmp forums that gives you a good idea of the timeline for things. You are very lucky, to have put in your order when you did, mine took almost exactly 3 months from when they received my forms to when I got my rifle, lately with the switch to RM1Service it looks like some orders are getting processed in closer to 1 month.

I think it is usually within about 10 days that you get the email but it varies. Google CMP new order timeline - you'll get a forum thread on the cmp forums that gives you a good idea of the timeline for things. You are very lucky, to have put in your order when you did, mine took almost exactly 3 months from when they received my forms to when I got my rifle, lately with the switch to RM1Service it looks like some orders are getting processed in closer to 1 month.

Oh okay. I mailed my forms on 8/10 (Sunday) so I should be getting an email by the end of the week or sometime next week....hopefully. Thanks for the info, I'll do some googling.

Glenn's in North Reading has a couple of these combo tools on the shelf. He also had some Garand food, both surplus and the 500 round Prvi cans for $375!

Reading is deep in liberal territory... But my LTC is still valid so thanks ;)

http://www.m1garand.com/store/m1_garand_accessories.html

Just about everything you need. As for slings. Want one for looks there are many reproductions. Want one for function http://www.m1garand.com/store/m1_garand_accessories.html
Want one for actual shooting get the service rifle sling or a usgi web sling.

I plan on shooting it - thanks for the link!

Oh okay. I mailed my forms on 8/10 (Sunday) so I should be getting an email by the end of the week or sometime next week....hopefully. Thanks for the info, I'll do some googling.

I don't have the exact number of days, but the first week of June was when I sent the paperwork, and I received the email on the 17th of June - so 10 Days from receipt sounds spot on.

Finally received the email from CMP!

We have received and verified your recent order. Your order will now advance to our sales area and from there to our shipping area. Please note, that unless otherwise stated on our website, our order to ship time is at least 60-90 days. You will receive other emails as the order progresses.

Now to play the waiting game. So does the ammo ship before or with the rifle?

Ammo will probably arrive well before the rifle.

Now is the time to put in any special requests you have for vintage, wood, etc though.

Ammo will probably arrive well before the rifle.

Now is the time to put in any special requests you have for vintage, wood, etc though.

So I'd just respond to the email indicating what I would prefer? Honestly, I don't know what I would prefer. As long as it looks good and isn't beat to shit, and will shoot somewhat well, that's all I care about. I don't think I'd care if it was a SA, HRA, IHC, WRA.

Unless there is something you would recommend?

You would have put a not on your order if you wanted anything specific. If something you wanted was on top they would get it for you, but they don't go searching for anything. Your order is for either a Springfield or HRA, whichever is available when your order comes to the top of the pile.
That is the new way they come from the CMP. I haven't heard how long the delivery time is for rifles lately, but ammo has been shipping pretty quick so you should be getting it well before the rifle.

You would have put a not on your order if you wanted anything specific. If something you wanted was on top they would get it for you, but they don't go searching for anything. Your order is for either a Springfield or HRA, whichever is available when your order comes to the top of the pile.
That is the new way they come from the CMP. I haven't heard how long the delivery time is for rifles lately, but ammo has been shipping pretty quick so you should be getting it well before the rifle.

Yeah I didn't put a note on my order since I didn't really care what I got, just wanted to get it as soon as possible. So I figured it would ship sooner if they didn't have to wait/hunt around for a SA or HRA specifically.

Well that will be nice to drool over the 2 cans of ammo while I wait for the rifle to arrive haha.

Another question, from what I've read, these will have a fair amount of cosmoline on/in them? Didn't know if it was like buying a mosin and have to cook the cosmo out of the wood etc.

My rifle came ready to shoot. No cosmoline any where!

It's sitting in my safe, easily the tallest of all my rifles, taunting me... Waiting to bite my thumb :cool:

My rifle came ready to shoot. No cosmoline any where!

It's sitting in my safe, easily the tallest of all my rifles, taunting me... Waiting to bite my thumb :cool:

Nice! I hope mine will come ready to shoot.

Yeah it is a good size rifle, I need to rearrange the rifles in my safe to get it to fit. I think I may have to buy another safe next year.

For the most part all the cosmoline is cleaned off before they inspect them. There may be some in places, but nothing like a Mosin or other foreign milsurp.
You will need some grease for the rifle. It uses grease and not oil for function. Also look at the CMP's sight for proper grease points.

Back
Top Bottom