Question about cleaning my new gun

OCB

So with my newly minted LTC in hand, I went to Four Seasons today and bought my first handgun: Sig P229 in .40. I only had time to go through about 50 rounds at the range today, just enough to start getting a feel for the gun. When I got back home and looked through the factory box, I noticed that Sig didn't include a cleaning brush (which I thought I saw at Four Seasons). While at the range, I almost bought a bore snake until I noticed that it has metal (brass?) bristles embedded in a section of the rope. I'm probably just being paranoid and overly protective of my new purchase, but the manual says that you should only use a polymer brush to clean the barrel. Can anyone advise?

thanks in advance.

Cleaning the barrel is over rated, I rarely clean mine and when I do, I run a boresnake down it once. I clean the chamber with a nylon brush.

You did clean and oil the gun before you shot it the first time, right?

I took off the excess cosmoline (sp?), but it looked pretty well lubricated from the factory. I didn't want to over do it...

Great choice with the 229. Boresnakes and copper bore brushes are fine for cleaning. I use a boresnake on all my handguns and occasionally for my AR and AK.

If you don't mind me asking, what did FourSeasons charge for the pistol? I've been considering the exact same pistol for some time now.

Good choice on the gun. It's one of my favorites.

I normally run a bore-snake through mine to clean the barrel (but not every time). I then break it down, clean the insides with a nylon brush and lightly oil it.

One of the great things about the Sig is it's so easy to clean.

On a side note can anyone explain to me why in the movies someone removes all prints from a gun with a quick wipe down, but it takes me a gallon of cleaner and an hour of scrubbing to do the same? [thinking]

They get the special cleaning wipes from the same store they get the magazines that hold a hundred rounds but don't stick out the bottom of the grip.

Great choice with the 229. Boresnakes and copper bore brushes are fine for cleaning. I use a boresnake on all my handguns and occasionally for my AR and AK.

If you don't mind me asking, what did FourSeasons charge for the pistol? I've been considering the exact same pistol for some time now.

Thanks for the info. With the limited time I've had it, I already like it a lot.
The list price at Four Seasons was $850, but I paid in cash so it was a little less than that. I happened to pass by Blue Northern Trading this morning, and decided to stop in. The had the same gun for $860. And as a further aside, the folks there (Blue Northern) were really nice and helpful, and they had a pretty good selection of new guns.

If the gun has the horrendous MA 10 or 20 lb trigger pull, you might want to see about getting a trigger job to make it easier to shoot accurately.

Congrats on the new 229. My first gun was also a 229 from Four Seasons, & they & Blue Northern are both great shops.

Run a bore brush and a few patches down the barrel after you shoot it, wipe down the slide with some oil, & it should be good to go for a few hundred rounds or so (depends on what ammo you use). My Sigs have all been very reliable, & easy to maintain. Good luck. [grin]

another congrats on the new LTC, and four seasons is a great place for your first purchase (or any purchase). Bought my first there as well.

In regards to cleaning, I prefer to use soft cloth patches vigorously through the barrel with a good amount of Hoppes. I feel anything brush like is overkill, unless you got some real crud caked in there.

best of luck with the new purchase.

Back
Top Bottom