Question about an in house nanny ***UPDATED***

I posted this last night and have not had a chance to check it until now. I am kind of surprised to see 7 pages. Let me give you more details.

My wife and I have no choice but to both work so we are basically forced into this situation. I would never leave my kids with anyone if I didn't have to. That part of it is hard enough, believe me. I wish we didn't have to. The guns are locked in safes and the keys to the safes are locked in a combo safe. All of this is in a closet in a spare bedroom. Our house is over 100 years old so the closet doors will not shut fully much less lock without some modification. In our bedroom is an 870 in a Loc-Box hanging right over our bed. If the door is even cracked you can see it. As far as the Nanny, we hired a service to help us find her. The service comes complete with a background check as well as many other screenings. I realize that anyone is capable of anything but we have done the best we could do to find a trustworthy candidate. My dilemma is that I don't want her to see them by mistake one day and be nervous or concerned that she is in a dangerous house. This also opens the door to her telling her family or friends, even if it's only out of her concern for her safety. If I tell her right off the bat, then I have the chance to explain that they are all legal and stored safely and I can also remind her of the confidentiality agreement that we have.

Telling her is not about her knowing where the guns are in case the russians come at lunch and hiding it from her is not because I think she'll tell all her friends and try to steal them. It's more about being proactive so if/when she does see the shotgun hanging over the bed she doesn't panic. My shotgun has a pistol grip and a laser flashlight combo on the front. It will never be mistaken for a hunting rifle so if she is unfamiliar with guns it will most likely concern her.

Telling her is not about her knowing where the guns are in case the russians come at lunch and hiding it from her is not because I think she'll tell all her friends and try to steal them. It's more about being proactive so if/when she does see the shotgun hanging over the bed she doesn't panic.
Exactly...

Everyone knows that the payments are higher, the better looking and hotter that the nanny is. The best looking ones are lousy with the kids but great with the dads.

Put a lock on the closet door? Or just tell her that's where you store the remains of the last nanny that you caught nosing around.
Bore a second hole for a dead bolt and reinforce the jamb. If you don't want to bore a second hole, replace the existing passage with a dead bolt and add a face mount door pull.

And....... Is she hot?
+1 [smile]

seriously... let's end it on a good free state note.

it's rare that i get out for anything other than training, but the last time i had someone watch my kids for an extended period of time it went like this:

Steph ( not her real name, and yes she's an upstanding good looking young woman, and no... you perverts aren't getting pictures) got the walk of the house, numbers on the fridge, etc.

Me: "there's a pump gun loaded with 00 buck behind the dresser in the bedroom. your dad told me he taught you how to run one."
Steph: "yes he did, mr. B. thanks for that."
Me:"one in the pipe, and 4 in the tube. if someone busts that door in, just shoot until it's empty and then go for the .357 over the fridge."
Steph:" got it, mr. B."
Me:" then call 911, and then call me."
Steph: "got it. can they have popcorn while watching Dora?"
Me:" of course. give them whatever they want so they don't drive you crazy. BTW there's a 1911 in the freezer, too."
Steph: "why's it in freezer?"
Me: " because it was a POS Taurus, and it was really f*ing hot when I pulled it out of the woodstove."

WIN !!!! [rofl]

The HOT Nanny!! [rofl]

images

Let's take a different look at this please:

- The OP is in MA, NOT in Free America. In fact the OP's profile puts him in Meninostan!! [shocked]

- MGLs dictate that NOBODY except a Licensed individual can have access to any firearms or ammo under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES (exception is under supervision of a licensed person).

- Not having had any kids, I have very limited experience with nannies. However, my SIL had one for a number of years. She was the Swedish Wife of a commercial airlines pilot (NO, she was NOT hot). I met her many times but do not know if she was an American Citizen (remember Resident Aliens who live in MA can't get a LTC or have access to handguns/hi-cap rifles/shotguns) legally. I worked with a young lady from Belfast Ireland, she was the membership director of the late Boston Computer Society and she also did some nanny'g for a family in Newton. I'm pretty sure that she was a Resident Alien as well.

- Given children are involved, it's only a matter of time before 911 gets called for a bad fall, serious cut, etc. and the police as well as EMTs are crawling over your house. Any hint of guns that the Boston PD can discover can lead to nothing good.

- If the unlicensed nanny gains access to the guns for ANY REASON, the OP goes to jail as well as the nanny!!

- Just giving a person you trust access to the guns, w/o extensive training on what to do and when to do it, practice on a regular basis, MA gun laws, etc. is a ticket to disaster! Doesn't matter if it is your SO, Wife, nanny or a good friend. And "family safety" is even a bigger factor when you have kids running around if something goes bad as they are as likely to run/crawl into harms way as not.

So I continue my vote on NOT telling at least until there is a long-term relationship with the nanny and a commitment by both sides to do what's necessary to be legal as well as well-trained.

Len,
You quoted only part of my post. The point of the part you quoted, was intended to say that, since a nanny couldn't protect the kids effectively, having one made no sense.
The rest of it says I wouldn't likely trust a nanny under any circumstances to care for my kids. I also never suggested giving an unlicensed person access to any guns.

Titan, I only quoted parts I was addressing.

Also, others tend to read posts and "selectively believe" that some things are OK which could land them in jail for a very long time, thus I was trying to address those points within the OP's query.

I only skimmed through this, so I need to know more about this hot French maid heroin addict babysitter, who happens to be an expert marksman from Australia.

Andy

I only skimmed through this, so I need to know more about this hot French maid heroin addict babysitter, who happens to be an expert marksman from Australia.

Andy
All you need to know is that with all those ninja skills, they are unable to do an even cursory search of your house or defeat a stack-on safe... [rofl2]

if you have to ask....I would say do not tell her about the guns. Just secure things, and tell her that the room is off-limits for privacy and safety reasons. Once you have some trust built with her, you may be able to share more info later

seriously... let's end it on a good free state note.

it's rare that i get out for anything other than training, but the last time i had someone watch my kids for an extended period of time it went like this:

Steph ( not her real name, and yes she's an upstanding good looking young woman, and no... you perverts aren't getting pictures) got the walk of the house, numbers on the fridge, etc.

Me: "there's a pump gun loaded with 00 buck behind the dresser in the bedroom. your dad told me he taught you how to run one."
Steph: "yes he did, mr. B. thanks for that."
Me:"one in the pipe, and 4 in the tube. if someone busts that door in, just shoot until it's empty and then go for the .357 over the fridge."
Steph:" got it, mr. B."
Me:" then call 911, and then call me."
Steph: "got it. can they have popcorn while watching Dora?"
Me:" of course. give them whatever they want so they don't drive you crazy. BTW there's a 1911 in the freezer, too."
Steph: "why's it in freezer?"
Me: " because it was a POS Taurus, and it was really f*ing hot when I pulled it out of the woodstove."

[rofl2] I'm dying here.

You didn't mention, nor do I recall seeing anyone suggest that the nanny have a firearms license. Requiring applicants to have an LTC is kind of like a poor man's screening or "CORI" check.

Doing this accomplishes several things. First, it makes sure she isn't a felon. Second, it makes sure she might have at least had a class in firearms. Third, it opens the door for a conversation about guns.

Even in an old house, just put on a wrought iron hasp and padlock on the door and be done with it.

So, what does she look like, anyhow?

Telling her is not about her knowing where the guns are in case the russians come at lunch and hiding it from her is not because I think she'll tell all her friends and try to steal them. It's more about being proactive so if/when she does see the shotgun hanging over the bed she doesn't panic.

Yup. This is exactly why I did it. I'm actually surprised that some of you guys think guns are such a huge deal that you have to hide them from anybody and everybody. You all sound like a bunch of antis, giving guns some kind of mystical quality of evil scariness. It's just not that big a deal. Sure they have value and can be stolen, but I stand by my statement that if you think telling your nanny about them is opening yourself up to theft, you've seriously chosen the wrong nanny.

Yup. This is exactly why I did it. I'm actually surprised that some of you guys think guns are such a huge deal that you have to hide them from anybody and everybody. You all sound like a bunch of antis, giving guns some kind of mystical quality of evil scariness. It's just not that big a deal. Sure they have value and can be stolen, but I stand by my statement that if you think telling your nanny about them is opening yourself up to theft, you've seriously chosen the wrong nanny.

Exactly.

Why would you trust your kids to anybody you thought might rob you?

Back
Top Bottom