Question about an in house nanny ***UPDATED***

MXD

My wife and I have hired an in house nanny to watch our 2 kids (8 months and 2 1/2 years) during the day while we are at work. She starts in 2 weeks. My question is, should we tell her about our firearms collection just so she knows where the kids CANNOT play in the house or are we better off keeping silent? Everything is locked up and properly secured but we still don't let the kids play in the same room as the closet that houses the gun safes. Even though it's all locked up tight, one look in the closet and it's obvious what's there so my guess is that she will someday see it.

Last edited:
I would just tell her the kids aren't allowed to play in that room. No need to mention anything about your guns.

This

I would then survey the situation and plan on further course of action. If she is bound to figure it out the best thing you can do is to delay that as long as possible so she can get to know you as a responsible productive member of society, before she can prejudge you on "whats in the closet".

Also remember she is an employee and work relations can end badly and anything and everything a disgruntled employee can use against you in anyway should be limited. Not being able to describe the firearms you own might help you in a theoretical case that you are improperly handling your firearms with your children around or something to that effect.

edit- Oh yeah is she hot?

I wouldn't tell her.
1. It could be a problem for her
2. You don't know who she'll tell about your firearms
3. Is she hot?

Let me just be the first to say [pics]

But no matter what she looks like, I wouldn't tell her any more than she needs to know. The kids aren't allowed in there, plain and simple.

Tell her the room is off limits.. Depending on where she is from, she might be able to teach you a thing or two about firearms...lol

Put a lock on the closet door? Or just tell her that's where you store the remains of the last nanny that you caught nosing around.

EDIT: And....... Is she hot?

*going against the grain on this one*

i WOULD tell her. i'm not a fan of keeping secrets, assuming that she has a clean background and you went through a good screening process... you never know what could happen...

i.e. a plane crashes into your bedroom and she see's the safe or something.... but i'm funny like that.

i hired a cleaning company a few years back and told the guy straight up, "I have two safes with guns in them, is this going to be a problem?"

the guy could have cared less.... it's all in the approach. [smile]

Less is more...... Does she really need to know about them? And you left out one critical piece of info.......... Is she hot?

also, IF i were to trust anyone to watch my son (or young children for the OP).... i think i could live with the fact that they knew i have guns. [wink]

my son comes before any piece of hardware. they would instantly NOT be worried that i own guns since they are locked up.... -they don't go off by themselves [laugh]

This. She's in your house alone with your kids. If you trust her with that the rest is minor.

ETA. Hot or not, Would you hit it?
ETA 2. If the kids aren't allowed in that room there must be some potential for access. No?

*going against the grain on this one*

i WOULD tell her. i'm not a fan of keeping secrets, assuming that she has a clean background and you went through a good screening process... you never know what could happen...

i.e. a plane crashes into your bedroom and she see's the safe or something.... but i'm funny like that.

i hired a cleaning company a few years back and told the guy straight up, "I have two safes with guns in them, is this going to be a problem?"

the guy could have cared less.... it's all in the approach. [smile]

also, IF i were to trust anyone to watch my son (or young children for the OP).... i think i could live with the fact that they knew i have guns. [wink]

my son comes before any piece of hardware. they would instantly NOT be worried that i own guns since they are locked up.... -they don't go off by themselves [laugh]

Last edited:
also, IF i were to trust anyone to watch my son (or young children for the OP).... i think i could live with the fact that they knew i have guns.

This. She's in your house alone with your kids. If you trust her with that the rest is minor.

Several people that I trust alone with my children do not know that I have guns. Others are aware vaguely but do not know specifics. It simply isn't relevant to their ability to care for my children in my absence. It sounds like there is no additional safety issue created by not telling her, so what good does it do to give her the information?

Dude... seriously. You are trusting this person with your CHILDREN! Your guns are the least of your concerns. You have home owners insurance right? You can't run out to Bass Pro and pick up a couple of new kids.

Priorities!

The guns are in locked safes, in a locked closet? Did her resume include Flying Locksmiths?

PS buy a web cam and leave it on. Who cares if she knows?

Who cares about the guns? I would have cameras to find out if she is another Louise Woodward.

If you can't trust your nanny, you've picked the wrong one.

When we hired our nanny, I told her about my firearms and showed her where they were. I also showed her where the power tools, prescription drugs, automotive chemicals, cleaning supplies, etc were. I also made it clear that confidentiality was an imperative and if I caught her gossiping about any family business (financial, medical, security, etc) she'd be gone in a flash. Any decent nanny contract will have all this spelled out, which mine of course did.

I never had a problem with her in the two years she worked for us.

And no, she wasn't hot. She was a 65 year old granny type. [sad2]

Is she smokin' hot?

mrs-doubtfire-4.jpg

The first ROE meeting could get interesting.

The husband tells the nanny what she can't touch,
the wife tells the husband what he can't touch and
the nanny just wants to do her job........[smile]

Back
Top Bottom